1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Problems replacing PS Pump.. questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 06:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Problems replacing PS Pump.. questions

I am replacing the PS pump on my dads truck.. Having issues getting the dang thing back on.. The new pump has some threaded bolt thing sticking out of the back about one inch so it catches on the motor mount and its keeping me from getting the pump in..The Ive tried removing two of the mounting studs so i can get past that but now it seems like maybe thats not the right way.. can I cut that threaded bolt off a little.? what am I missing??
Old 04-23-2016, 07:22 PM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
picture? i've replaced mine and have no clue what you're talking about.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:33 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by sdseva
I am replacing the PS pump on my dads truck.. Having issues getting the dang thing back on.. The new pump has some threaded bolt thing sticking out of the back about one inch so it catches on the motor mount and its keeping me from getting the pump in..The Ive tried removing two of the mounting studs so i can get past that but now it seems like maybe thats not the right way.. can I cut that threaded bolt off a little.? what am I missing??
Some pump housings have a threaded bolt sticking out of the back of them, but ours did not. Its an alternate pump mount in a different vehicle where a bracket attached to the bolt. When you buy a new pump, you're supposed to transfer the threadless bolt from the oem Cummins pump to the replacement pump. Just unscrew one and put into another. Its there to keep the reservoir housing attached to the pump
Old 04-23-2016, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Some pump housings have a threaded bolt sticking out of the back of them, but ours did not. Its an alternate pump mount in a different vehicle where a bracket attached to the bolt. When you buy a new pump, you're supposed to transfer the threadless bolt from the oem Cummins pump to the replacement pump. Just unscrew one and put into another. Its there to keep the reservoir housing attached to the pump
curses!!! I already returned the core!! so can I just cut it off maybe??
Old 04-23-2016, 08:08 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Should work. as long as it clears.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:02 PM

Yes

Wizzer wheel will do, but pull the bolt out so you don't heat up any seal, if one exists ( can't remember )
Or a hack saw
Old 04-23-2016, 09:18 PM

ugh... chopped it off... It fits!! then when I was tightening down the nuts I broke a corner of the mounting bracket.. was unsure how it happened till I removed the bracket and found that the input shaft thing was not clocked perfectly. now I know that the pump should seat with little to no resistance. Pretty lame day

putting that behind me.. where can i find the mounting bracket, seal and large o-ring?? dealership part maybe? Cummins perhaps?

I see beers in the near future...
Old 04-23-2016, 11:31 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Most of the trouble, including broken ears on the vacuum pump can be avoided by coupling them on the work bench and installing to the timing case as an assembly.
The following 2 users liked this post by j_martin:
mknittle (04-24-2016), sdseva (04-24-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 12:34 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Most of the trouble, including broken ears on the vacuum pump can be avoided by coupling them on the work bench and installing to the timing case as an assembly.
That's how I do it. Only takes about 10 min max to remove the whole assembly.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:11 AM

The ears break off if you forget to install the 3/8 thick washers on the rear inside studs before the pump is installed. They keep the alignment correct
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (04-24-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 08:39 AM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
The ears break off if you forget to install the 3/8 thick washers on the rear inside studs before the pump is installed. They keep the alignment correct
i lost one of these when replacing my PS pump. didn't realize it until i had the pump almost complete back together. i used a big nut and just ground it down until it matched the other one. why dodge, why...
Old 04-24-2016, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by j.fonder
i lost one of these when replacing my PS pump. didn't realize it until i had the pump almost complete back together. i used a big nut and just ground it down until it matched the other one. why dodge, why...
Same reason why we have cracking mounting plates for the steering gears...

Bean counters.....
Old 04-24-2016, 10:54 AM

The washers were there! Pretty sure the round plate with the cross in the middle wasnt seated properly.. Ill definitely be assembling the whole thing before installation. Of course its sunday and Ill never find a place that has a bracket so im out of luck..
Old 04-24-2016, 05:25 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
The washers were there! Pretty sure the round plate with the cross in the middle wasnt seated properly.. Ill definitely be assembling the whole thing before installation. Of course its sunday and Ill never find a place that has a bracket so im out of luck..
Pretty sure the "bracket" is the back casting of the vacuum pump.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:18 PM

So... Looks like I might have to purchase an entire vacuum pump..? Cummins quoted me over $400

Quick Reply: Problems replacing PS Pump.. questions