1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

power steering pump reseal

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 03:44 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
power steering pump reseal

I am quite confused. My ps pump was leaking and I resealed it. Now I have no power steering. I have bled the crap out of it. With the front end off the ground I have noticed that it is harder to turn the wheel when the engine is running.

What in the world did I do wrong? After pulling it all apart a second time, I noticed nothing to be backwards from how I disassembled it the first time.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by peckens
I am quite confused. My ps pump was leaking and I resealed it. Now I have no power steering. I have bled the crap out of it. With the front end off the ground I have noticed that it is harder to turn the wheel when the engine is running.

What in the world did I do wrong? After pulling it all apart a second time, I noticed nothing to be backwards from how I disassembled it the first time.
When you ""bled the crap out of it", did you rev the engine rpms up while moving the steering back and forth ? Or did you just do it at idle ? My truck wouldn't purge the air until I brought the rpms up while bleeding

What seal kit did you use ? I've been told that the Chinese kits are not up to spec, and fail rather quickly.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:30 PM

I did it at idle. I got the masterpro kit from orilley. Said made in USA on the box. Ill rev it up tomorrow mrning. Got trick or treaters!
Old 11-01-2015, 04:43 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by peckens
I did it at idle. I got the masterpro kit from orilley. Said made in USA on the box. Ill rev it up tomorrow mrning. Got trick or treaters!

It won't bleed at idle from what I understand.

Jack the truck up again, rev the truck up to about 1800 RPM, and slowly rotate the steering back and forth a few times, lock to lock.. Turn the truck OFF. Check fluid level.

Fill it back up, start it, and do it again, and again as necessary.

You will see lots of bubbles in the reservoir. Once you feel confident the fluid isn't being sucked down anymore, take it for a short drive. Check the fluid level again. Eventually the bubbles dissipate, and you'll have to top it off.

Every year, when I do my PS fluid change, I go through this process.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:31 AM

Well after 20 minutes of reving and slowly turning the wheels, I am confident there is no more air in the system. Unfortunately, there is still no assist.

As before, there is still some resistance in the steering when the wheels are off the ground and the engine is running. Engine off and the wheels are up, steering is easy. Engine on and wheels down, I can barely turn the wheel. This has never happened to me before. So I am completely stumped. I do see fluid movement with the engine running.

Ill keep trying throughout the day, so I can keep
Old 11-02-2015, 05:34 PM

After rotating the wheel back and forth with the engine off or on about 15-20x each for a total of 125x. I have had no luck. I honestly dont think the pump is "pumping." I am getting no real signs of fluid movement like the other truck does. I am going to call powersteering services inc. tomorrow and ask them for any suggestions before I fork out the cash for a new pump. This is just so strange.