1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Parking discrimination

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Parking discrimination

We went to the OC Auto Show in Anaheim today. I took the truck because I can get my scooter in the back easier. When we got there they told me that the parking was $16.00 and my truck wouldn't fit in their spaces because it's a dually. Aren't they supposed to have larger spaces for handicapped parking? So we said screw it and came home. Stopped by HD for flowers for Sue to plant.

I'm going to email the Anaheim Convention Center and tell them I won't come to their shows anymore.
The following 3 users liked this post by edwinsmith:
cougar (10-01-2017), mknittle (09-30-2017), nonrev (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith

We went to the OC Auto Show in Anaheim today. I took the truck because I can get my scooter in the back easier. When we got there they told me that the parking was $16.00 and my truck wouldn't fit in their spaces because it's a dually. Aren't they supposed to have larger spaces for handicapped parking? So we said screw it and came home. Stopped by HD for flowers for Sue to plant.

I'm going to email the Anaheim Convention Center and tell them I won't come to their shows anymore.
That sux every place is supposed to have handicapped parking and it seems that a large vehicle would be common place. e-mail the city also.
The following 2 users liked this post by mknittle:
NJTman (09-30-2017), nonrev (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
They should all have the extra wide spaces for the Vans with lift gate on the side.

When we go to Disneyland they sometimes charge me the truck price and have me park where the big class-A and semi's park, otherwise I still park in the underground and find an extra wide spot.

I always have butt marks across my rear fenders though and my side cameras catch the action.

Unfortunately I do not think the convention center cares, maybe the DMV.
Jim
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (10-01-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Problem here, is that in NJ I'm pretty sure that at least 50% of the population is "fake" handicapped. Doctors hand out those rear view mirror placards more than appointment reminder cards. Here, you would find all the handicapped spaces would be taken already by lazy, arrogant, rich people (governor Christie), fat (always hungry) people, or people who say they are unable to perform life's daily tasks because they're too busy milking the system. The real handicapped people here are forced to suffer, and walk the longer distance

Maybe you can get a prius with a trailer for your scooter to fit in with all the commies who dream of crushing all big, air polluting diesels..

Lol

Nah! I can't see that happening anytime soon
The following 3 users liked this post by NJTman:
BHD (10-01-2017), nonrev (09-30-2017), thrashingcows (09-30-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 01:46 AM
Administrator

The DMV has actually been working a sting on the Handicap Placards, here in the Los Angeles County area, they were checking everyone that displayed one, you had to produce your registration papers, those in violation the card was confiscated and you got a big fine.

I have seen this recently at Home Depot, LA County Fair and even at last year Winternationals personally.

I hope they do catch all of the violators, I noticed a lot of them all have new very expensive SUV's, not like someone who is just surviving and in pain and can barely walk.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.sacbe...148905604.html

I would imagine other states would do something similar.
Jim
Old 10-01-2017, 05:13 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
I hope they do catch all of the violators, I noticed a lot of them all have new very expensive SUV's, not like someone who is just surviving and in pain and can barely walk.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.sacbe...148905604.html

I would imagine other states would do something similar.
Jim
That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's rampant here, and no enforcement is being done, because cops here are not entering onto private (albeit commercial) property to enforce the rules UNLESS, the owner of the property requests it. Not happening here, because the owners don't care about it, nor do the cops.

For example...

I have a customer who lives in Mendham NJ, which is one of the most affluent towns in the state. Our Governor, the fat man, Chris Christie and his family live there, when he's not pilfering the state of NJ's funds.

So this customer walks into the local supermarket (Kings), and as he's standing in the checkout line, this really huge buttocks rubs up against his. Well it's our "hey, hey, hey" governor, who turns around, looks at my customer like he did something wrong. my customer apologizes, even though the large rump was the one who bumped into him.

My customer looks around, and there are 3 armed men around the checkout area, watching over the rump to make sure "no little old ladies attack him with switchblades and hand grenades", while he's buying groceries. My customer finishes his checkout, walks out the front entrance, and all the handicapped parking spots (right in front of the store) are filled with gubberment SUV's that are black and bulletproofed top to bottom, yet no one handicapped is in them. They're waiting for Mr. "hey, hey, hey" to come out of the store with his groceries, while little old ladies, and real handicapped people are forced to find a spot much, much further away..
MAC702 (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 05:52 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
In Phoenix, they have a great solution for that, they have handicapped volunteers handle ticketing for handicap parking violations. They don't gv breaks to anyone and it is a 400 dollar fine...Mark
mknittle (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Edwin, make sure you tell the sponsors of the show. I go to gun shows a lot. When I have issues with the show facilities, I tell the sponsors. Sometime they move it to a different facility the next time.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith

I believe that to be an ADA violation. File a complaint.

https://www.ada.gov
Old 10-01-2017, 03:33 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by maybe368
In Phoenix, they have a great solution for that, they have handicapped volunteers handle ticketing for handicap parking violations. They don't gv breaks to anyone and it is a 400 dollar fine...Mark
$750 I believe in California.
Moon's tax.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:14 PM

I sent a complaint to the city of Anaheim. I'm reluctant to get government anymore involved than that. I may send a complaint to the shows organizer though as that is more likely to get results. Since the show's over today and I have consulting work to do It's pretty much a moot point.

Thanks for letting me share.

Edwin
Old 10-01-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Shipping a dually from Idaho to Kona,Hi. ran my friend $2200. He had to pay for the extra width.
That was back in '07.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:35 PM

I received the following from TPTB at Anaheim.net:

As the Parking Supervisor for the Anaheim Convention Center I want to apologize for the inconvenience. Our parking structure over on the corner of West St. and Transit Plaza (CP4) was open to accept placard parking throughout the duration of the event, even when the structure was closed. If you were turned away from a Parking Attendant after you presented a placard and you got a look of their name tag, please provide me with the name so I may address the issue with my Parking Attendant. My Parking Attendants have been instructed by me personally to accept placard Guests at our CP4 structure.

Again, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and hope that your next visit to the Anaheim Convention Center is a much more pleasurable experience. Thank you for your feedback.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Rebecca and I just went to the D-32 Expo last month at the Anaheim Convention Center, they had us park at the Duck Pond and then shuttled us to the front door of the convention center.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Rebecca and I just went to the D-32 Expo last month at the Anaheim Convention Center, they had us park at the Duck Pond and then shuttled us to the front door of the convention center.
We were offered that option which I rejected. I require a scooter to be able to go any large distances since my inflammatory condition keeps me in a lot of pain. To have to drive to another lot. Unload/reload the scooter to be bused back to the event is just to much hassle. Besides as you see from the response I got They were supposed to accommodate me which they didn't. It would have cost $16 to park which was a lot anyway to put up with that nonsense.

In Commiefornia, every little bureaucrat has to have his sense of power over the proles. This is just one of those examples. This is why I hate this state.

Edwin