1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Parking Brake Sawed Through Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Parking Brake Sawed Through Wiring Harness

I was installing my guages the other day and noticed that the parking brake was sawing through my wiring harness! In all, two wires were sawed all the way through and 6 more were showing bare copper!

The wiring harness was laying right across the gear on the parking brake, so whenever it was depressed or released it would take a chunk out of the wires!

Anybody else ever have this problem? I fixed mine and I didn't get rid of any electrical gremlins, but it can definitely lead to some problems...

The most annoying part was that the previous owner had tried to fix it by wrapping the thing up with electrical tape and just laying it back over the parking brake...
Old 06-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
When you put the wires back together, what started working?

My under dash wiring was pretty messy due to badly installed add-on cruise and a brake controller, but the harness is clear of the parking brake. That's a new one to me.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by wannadiesel
When you put the wires back together, what started working?

Nothing at all, which is kind of scary... I was hoping that it would have caused my stupid brake/ anti-lock lights to go off, which it didn't... And my back-up lights still come on with my head lights, which I think is illegal...
Old 06-02-2005, 05:57 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Didja get the mirrors fixed yet?
Old 06-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Banned

Nope... Alas, my baby is on the dark side of the globe... (Santa Ana...)

I got quite the list for when I finally get it back - fix the mirrors, try to troubleshoot the parking brake/ antilock lights, troubleshoot the back-up lights, get it to the paint shop for an estimate, find a way to lube the blinker lever, change the differential fluid, get an oil analysis kit, remove the ladder rack and slide in box for selling, fix the doors handles, find a way to make the power windows actually slide down, try to figure out how to get the power locks to actually unlock the driver door, fix the wing windows, etc...

Now, does anybody have any idea how to do any of the above?

Oh, and the picture of my gauge install should be up shortly.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:25 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally posted by Begle1
Nope... Alas, my baby is on the dark side of the globe... (Santa Ana...)

I got quite the list for when I finally get it back - fix the mirrors, try to troubleshoot the parking brake/ antilock lights, troubleshoot the back-up lights, get it to the paint shop for an estimate, find a way to lube the blinker lever, change the differential fluid, get an oil analysis kit, remove the ladder rack and slide in box for selling, fix the doors handles, find a way to make the power windows actually slide down, try to figure out how to get the power locks to actually unlock the driver door, fix the wing windows, etc...

Now, does anybody have any idea how to do any of the above?

Oh, and the picture of my gauge install should be up shortly.
Hi: Beagle. I didn't realize you were in Santa Ana. So am I right now. I'm visiting my wife for a while and trying to drum up some consulting business.

I'm pretty good at wiring problems since I'm an electronics engineer. Give me a PM and I'll give you my cell number and maybe I can help.

Edwin
Old 06-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Banned

No, you see , my baby is in Santa Ana being used to haul around crappola for a emissions monitoring company...

I'm a few thousand miles away at the moment. I just came back out to visit my truck for a weekend...

How are you enjoying the illegal capital of the country? What businesses are you visiting?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you figure out the drivers side lock let me know. I have been unlocking the passenger side and reaching through to get my drivers side open.. for a year now. It's driving me nuts. I've had it apart about 6 times.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally posted by spunbearing
If you figure out the drivers side lock let me know. I have been unlocking the passenger side and reaching through to get my drivers side open.. for a year now. It's driving me nuts. I've had it apart about 6 times.

Thanks for giving me hope...

I had the thing tied together with tie wraps when I first got it, and that worked a day before it fell off... So in Kragen I saw that HELP! had a Chrysler door-lock widget-thingie, so I attached that and it didn't work either, so the problem must be in another place...

(It just gets all of the babes when you have to go through the passenger side to get into your vehicle... I feel so cool when people watch me...)
Old 06-03-2005, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hehe I hear ya. I take my lady with me more often now. Now I look like a gentleman opening her door for her and she reaches through for me so I look like less of a clod. ;0)