1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

NV4500 Reverse lights....

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
NV4500 Reverse lights....

I've been on the search for a small pigtail wiring for the reverse lights on my NV4500. Hit several junkyards and the parts store but no luck.

Wondering if anyone knows of another source that would fit the switch on the tranny. I was looking at pics of the reverse switch used on the NV3500 as well and it seems to be close, at least as electrical connections are concerned, but can tell for sure.

Would really like to get this working.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The ones I have messed with use this connector.

http://www.pcsconnectors.com/12015792-asm.aspx

You could probably score one from a GM in the salvage yard.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 PM

Sweet...I was wondering about a standard 2 prong water tight connector, and if it might work. I'll go up to the parts store tomorrow and grab one and see if it will work.

I've been trolling through the search engines on-line and came across this info....The GM part # 12085485 for the pig tail wring for the NV4500 switch.

So if that connector you suggested doesn't work then I'll give the GM part a try.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:25 PM

Found a pic of the GM # 12085485 kit.....

Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 PM

So the universal 2 prong connector works...but you have to make a cut and notch in one of the posts on the top, since the factory plug has a small ridge that runs down the inside of the fitting. Other then that it went right on.

Now I tested all the wiring...hooked 12V to one side of the 2 prong plug for the original reverse lights, and taillights turn on. I then tested the NV4500 switch and it tested fine, switch was open and then pushed the ball in and switch closed.

I then wired up a 12V Ign to the other side of the original plug, then hooked up the wiring to the switch on the trans, and Voila...No lights!!!

I have power coming into one side of the original plug....then the power travels up that wiring to the switch...switch is open so no power goes through....close switch (into reverse) and power now flows through the switch to the other wire....then the power travels down this wire to the other side of the original plug and out to the taillights.

I have tested everything ten times to tomorrow, and it should be working!!

Any thoughts??
Old 10-30-2010, 10:34 PM

Well found out that a digital volt tester is not always correct. I was testing the original NV4500 switch with my digital meter and it was testing fine, but once power was added nothing was working. So I asked my car guy neighbor to come give me a hand and try and figure out what's going on.

We used his real test "light" and the switch would not light it up, so I again tested with my digital meter and it said it was fine. So I went up to the parts store and got a new switch...man the dodge NV4500 switches are EXPENSIVE!!! Hear in Canada the switch was $140 list...but the guy gave it to me for $85!!!

After that I decided to do a little research, and it appears that the GM NV4500's use the same basic switch...but is only $20. Now I'm going to return my dodge switch and get a GM unit. I suspect that the only real difference in the switch is on the inside of the connection. More then likely the GM unit has one or two ridges, in different places, that would make them un-usuable with the "factory" dodge wiring...and visa-versa. Since I'm using a generic 2 prong fitting I can cut the notches where they need to be and use the cheaper GM part. If I wanted to spend a couple more dollars I could also buy the matching GM pigtail wiring.

When I get this all figured out I think this might be a cheap solution to a generally very expensive switch replacement.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:53 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
I got one from Napa. I dont recall the part # but it was like $15. Call a chevy dealer and get a part # for the pigtail. Then have napa cross it over. I got the number from advance adapters. I asked the salesman when I bought my adapter kit what guys normally do for the reverse light and he gave me the ac delco # and I called Napa. They had it for me the next day.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:37 PM

Thought I'd update this....

I ended up getting a switch for a GM NV4500...they are exactly the same!! Even the electrical connector from a stock dodge harness would connect.

Here are some pics...

Name:  PICT2044.jpg
Views: 4587
Size:  105.2 KB

You can see my adapter wiring going from the old to the new as well...

Name:  PICT2045.jpg
Views: 6685
Size:  114.9 KB

Name:  PICT2046.jpg
Views: 6252
Size:  101.2 KB

The difference in price was laughable....the Dodge part up here, in Canada, was $85....the GM piece was $15!!

The part I got was by BWD ad is part #S9255. The only difference between the two switches is the clocking of the threads. The GM unit has the electrical connector upside down, compared to the Dodge unit....That's it!!

So save your money on the Dodge part and buy the GM unit. I told them I needed a reverse switch for a 96 GM 3500 with a diesel and 5 speed manual tranny.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows

do you just thread out the old switch and thread this new one in?
Old 09-16-2015, 12:10 AM

Seems my aftermarket switch is dead, got about 5 years out of it. Have to go down and get a new one.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:50 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Brian if you still need the part number I just got 1 from Napa .I can look up the number if you need it ?
Old 09-18-2015, 11:16 AM

Thanks RamGuy....but I have BWD S9255 number from above.

I went to install the reverse light switch and discovered that there is virtually no way to do it while the tranny is up in place.

I tried to remember how I did it the first time, then I remembered that I had no carpet in the crewcab, and I had an ugly hole covered by tin in the floor where the shifter came through. So looks like I will need to pull my front seat, trim and fold the front half of the carpet back to get access to my removable tranny tunnel....just so I can get to the reverse light switch.

Only other way that "might" work would be to pull the tranny cross member, and fan and shroud, and try to tilt the back of the tranny down. But you run into shifter clearance problems doing it that way as well.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Danny Barthelemew, arguably the best old time mechanic St. Cloud, MN has ever known, used to say "You have to feel sorry for those Detroit engineers. They're going to spend an eternity in he!! trying to reach an adjustment that can't be reached."
Old 09-18-2015, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Thanks RamGuy....but I have BWD S9255 number from above.

I went to install the reverse light switch and discovered that there is virtually no way to do it while the tranny is up in place.

I tried to remember how I did it the first time, then I remembered that I had no carpet in the crewcab, and I had an ugly hole covered by tin in the floor where the shifter came through. So looks like I will need to pull my front seat, trim and fold the front half of the carpet back to get access to my removable tranny tunnel....just so I can get to the reverse light switch.

Only other way that "might" work would be to pull the tranny cross member, and fan and shroud, and try to tilt the back of the tranny down. But you run into shifter clearance problems doing it that way as well.
I feel your pain. I tried to replace mine and even got a pretty good whack on it with a chisel through the shifter hole. I succeeded in destroying it so it is currently wired to a toggle switch until next time I pull the tranny, hopefully never ...Mark
Old 09-18-2015, 08:32 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
How 'bout pull back the rug. Put a nice round access hole in the floor over the switch. Make a cover disk for it held in by 4 screws with a gasket.

Oh wait, that's how most rice burner gas tank wiring is reached.

Quick Reply: NV4500 Reverse lights....