1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

No 5v to VSS

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No 5v to VSS

Just got a '92 D250 Cummins, 5 speed Getrag, limited slip and was a farm truck. It has a lot of "deferred" maintenance that I have been working through and this past weekend the truck did it's first duty of hauling. Ran great and tows great, but the speedo, odometer and cruise control don't work (cruise control on a manual??? New to me!). This seems to be a very common problem. Read quite a few threads here and a few other sites so that got me part way through the problem. Also stumbled across the wiring diagrams but didn't see anything called VSS ,although there were a few "speed sensor" in a couple of the pages.

So, the white wire at VSS should have 5v with the ignition on, but does not.

Question 1) Where does the 5v come from?

Question 2) The wires from the VSS disappear into the bundle at the back of the motor. Before I start cutting up the bundles, does anyone know the path the white wire takes? If I knew, I could jumper back to the VSS and see if I have a bad connection/broken wire.

In looking for an orange/white wire mentioned in a few posts, there is one in the flat plug at the back of the gauge cluster. This one has 5v with the ignition on, but is this connected to the white VSS wire?

The PCM gets mentioned a few times as a problem.

Question 3) Does someone know which pin on the PCM is the correct one? I can't seem to figure that out from the wiring diagrams, so maybe I'm dense. Well, I am dense, but I can learn. Thanks in advance.