1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New 1991 Dodge D 250 Cummins owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 1991 Dodge D 250 Cummins owner

Just picked up a 1991 Dodge D 250 LE Cummins A/T, 74k original, full power with Performance Monitoring Systems Ultimate tach, boost, pyrometer gauges. Also has air horns and other assorted accessories.

A few questions for my esteemed colleagues:

Will need tires soon 235/85/16E range and am open to suggestions for mixed highway hauling use.

Any recommendations for an underhood compressor to run the air horns as the one installed is kaput.

Am considering changing the oil when I get the truck home and may use Shell Totella Synthetic 5W40, a little pricey, but i would like to get 200-300K out of this rust-free truck, what do you think?

The aftermark Ultimate gauge for the pyrometer works, but not the tach or boost, any suggestions for help with installation?

Any general maintenance or problem areas these vehicles have that you might enlighten me to?

Also would like to know if someone can run a carfax for me.

Many thanks,

Mike
Old 02-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to DTR. The Rotella Synth isn't necessary, they routinely go 300 to 500k with plain ol' Rotella or Delo or Delvac, whichever you like. The 5W-40 is nice in a cold climate, though. Less wear at cold starts. Do what you like, but don't feel that the truck NEEDS synthetic for long life.

The boost gauge is probably not connected. Trace the line from the gauge and figure out where it broke. Is the tach running off the factory tach harness or is it an alternator tach?

Do a search on Killer Dowel Pin and prepare to have the crap scared out of you. Other than that, I can't think of anything major. Visit the Tech Facts section of the site for FAQ type info on the truck.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:40 PM

Mike, your biggest challenge will likely be dealing with the shortfalls of the automatic transmission. do you have a 3-speed or a 4-speed overdrive? I have a 3-speed & I would be pulling out my hair every time I drive it if I had any hair left.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:29 AM

Steve,

It's a 4 speed A/T with O/D button on dash. Looking forward to transporting it from NY to Miss. and seeing the Hwy mileage. It's a 2WD andI'm interested in what other memebrs get on the highway for mpg. Not a serious concern given it's GVWR, but more of a 30 gallon range question.

Am trying to get the Performance Monitoring Systems, Ultimate Cummins gauge package instructions to track down the tack/booster hook-up questions.

Truck came with visor and lights, air horns, bedliner, front fender marjer lights, elactric trailer brakes, C/B, diamond plate running boards and lights, fogs, locking rear side bed toolbox, rear tailgate lights and a nice orig grey/blue with red stripe LE two tone paint job. Not bad considering 74K on a 13 year old trcuk.

Looking forward to the steep learning curve on the web site.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-03-2004, 10:42 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
If you haven't already, check for rust in the rain gutter under the visor -- I hope there isn't any, but a few trucks must have had a paint/metal/?? problem up there. I had to do some serious repairs over the windshield on my truck -- it looked great until I took the visor off.

Good luck with the truck and welcome!
Old 02-03-2004, 11:13 AM

Will check for the rust over the raingutter in front. One tiny speck of rust on front drivers door down low, but just surface rust which can be handled with steel wool primer and paint. Truck must have been garaged all it's life as remainder of body/frame are rust-free.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great simple truck. My 93 gets 20+ mpg empty and down to 14 with camper and horse trailer and two horses. Brakes are so,so. keep an eye on the trans servicing. Not uncommon for the flex plate to break. Get some good 10 plys for tires. you can load these good and then they ride nice. Been using Delo15/40 and good filters, Wix or? every 5-6k and fuel every 15k.
Good luck.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:31 PM

How are Fram filters for the Cummins, Also what brand/#'s Air and Fuel do we recommend for my new addition.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-03-2004, 03:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Fram oil filters are pretty much universally condemned. Most guys on this site like Fleetguard (Cummins' house brand, kinda like Ford and Motorcraft), but I use Donaldson because I work 15 minutes away from a truck parts store that is a Donaldson distributor.

As far as fuel economy, my '93 got 18.5 mpg when I brought it home from San Antonio, Texas. That was 70 - 75 mph in a brick shaped dually. I get 16 putting around town.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:03 AM

23mpg at 70-75 from Waco, TX to Corpus Christi, TX back to Waco over the holidays in my '92 D250.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:38 PM

Dave/Jeremy,

Thanks for the mpg input, I'll be taking the '91 on a 1500 mile trip from NY to Miss. in March and was just curious re. range on the 30 gal. tank. Imagine if I could find 1500-2000lbs. of Vermont casting Stoves or a nice 200 gallon diesel fuel tank for use on the farm the ride would be a little smoother on I 78-81-40 on the trip home...

Really looking forward to picking up the D-250 and sitting above traffic.

Truck has dual cab mounted Hadley Air Horns (Chrome/rectangular) but the previous owner says the engine mounted compressor is dead. Anyone have any suggestions as to a good repalcement compressor for these horns, would like to shake up unsuspectung University of Mississippi students on occasion....

Thanks,

Mike
Old 02-05-2004, 11:19 PM

congrats Mike...sounds like a winner!
I almost bought a 91' std cab at last year from the original owner. it was totally a bare bones truck. with only a/c, aftermarket split bench and white! he wanted $6k. he told me he got 21 city and 25 hwy. 150K mi
i ended up buying a 93' D250 club cab AT fully loaded for $7k! 170K mi and with my tool box and racks if I don't mash the pedal down I get a good 17/18 in town. when my foot is heavy i only get about 15.
however, on the highway i get about 25 consistantly
hope you enjoy the truck
Old 02-06-2004, 05:57 AM

I get 21/23 daily and 26 if it's all highway.
That's at 70+ when possible.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:37 AM

P/J and Leonard et al.,

Thanks for the insight re. the mpg potential of the truck. Not quite the 45+ mpg I get on my VW TDI's but not too bad considering the hauling potential!

Bought the truck from the original owner who utilized it in his snowmobile business and special ordered it in '91. Even comes with orig bill of sale, too bad no window sticker....

Quick rundown includes A/T, PS, PB, PDL, PW PM, CC, ABS, AM/FM, two tone blue/grey/red stripe, grey interior cloth/vinyl, bedliner, Perfomance Monitoring Systems Ultimate Gauges (Pyro, tach, boost),sun visor/lights, diamond plate running boards/lights, cab assist handles, mud flaps ft/rr, rear tailgate lights, front bumper marker lights, CB radio, electric trailer brakes, Hadley rect/chromed dual airhorns , fog lights, locking toolbox dr. side front @ bed, 7 mounted tires/studded snows.

The original owner was quite proud of the truck and dressed it up very tastefully with function over hype and that is reflected in the 74K original garaged miles.

Anything over 20 on my maiden 1500 mile trip and I'll be pleased.

Once again many thanks for the insight, I'm learning all the time.

Mike
Old 02-06-2004, 11:56 AM

Mike,
Sounds like you found yourself a real gem.(jealous)
Best of luck with it!!!

Quick Reply: New 1991 Dodge D 250 Cummins owner