1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Need some electrical help :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some electrical help :(

My stereo died on me on the highway the other day along with my interior lights. The fuse that blew was my Interior light fuse though. Stereo fuse is still good. I put a fuse in and everything worked until I put it in reverse (it's an auto) and the fuse popped again. I disconnected the stereo, tried another fuse and it popped too. The odd thing is my reverse lights still work... what the hell's going on here? I've got the whole dash ripped out of my truck trying to track it down but can't find anything odd. I have no cargo light, interior lights (dome lights), stereo or under-hood light.
Any advice?
Old 03-19-2008, 10:19 PM

Also just found out I have no power mirrors anymore either
Old 03-20-2008, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Gutterslug
My stereo died on me on the highway the other day along with my interior lights. The fuse that blew was my Interior light fuse though. Stereo fuse is still good. I put a fuse in and everything worked until I put it in reverse (it's an auto) and the fuse popped again. I disconnected the stereo, tried another fuse and it popped too. The odd thing is my reverse lights still work... what the hell's going on here? I've got the whole dash ripped out of my truck trying to track it down but can't find anything odd. I have no cargo light, interior lights (dome lights), stereo or under-hood light.
Any advice?
Try looking at the wiring harness that runs behind the master cylinder, there is a metal bracket the rubs the harness and eventually shorts things out. I had simalar issues and thats were i found my problem. Good Luck
Old 03-20-2008, 12:38 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Check the harness in the column. Espessially around the shifter.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by 660RamD350
Try looking at the wiring harness that runs behind the master cylinder, there is a metal bracket the rubs the harness and eventually shorts things out. I had simalar issues and thats were i found my problem. Good Luck
Ha, I remember wrirting that same message about a month ago. Already went down that road and took care of that problem. Thanks
Old 03-21-2008, 07:05 PM

Just in case anyone else out there has these little gremlins running around in their electrical systems do yourselves a favour and DO NOT start taking the dash etc out because it's probably not under there. Check the wiring harness along the firewall in the engine compartment - and check it with a freakin' magnifying glass because it ain't gonna just jump out at ya! I thought I had fixed it once before (and I did) but lone behold 2 feet down toward the passenger side from where I fixed it at the booster last time, it was rubbing against the valve cover and eventually shorted out AGAIN!
I had all the clips secured and buttoned up when I fixed it a while ago but to no avail something still went haywire. But at least now I can take my dashboard apart with my eyes closed!
Whoever designed the mounting clips (or lack of in some spots) for this truck needs a big 'ole kick in pants . Either that or I need to get a little more "dialed in" on this job. Oh well, ya pay bananas ya get monkeys.
-Mike