1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Need a part number

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a part number

Guys,

I pulled my injection pump off on Saturday and there wasn't a woodruff key in between the shaft and the gear. I just got this truck, and don't know the history. Anyway I need a key to put it back and my local cummins dealer isn't too sharp.
I found the sticky that the Bosch part number is:

1 460 023 307

Can anyone tell me what the Cummins part number is?
Old 07-26-2010, 07:02 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You should be able to find a key that works at your local hardware store.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Being that it's part of the pump, it'll be a Bosch part only. Cummins won't be able to help you out. But as wanna said, hardware stores will have them. If you have no luck there, check with a local fuel injection shop that is an authorized Bosch dealer.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:16 AM

Thanks. I didn't have a key to compare it to so I wasn't sure what it was supposed to be. I finally looked up the key used on a 2144 International Combine (6bt with ve) and it says that its a standard #6 Woodruff Key. I also looked up the key used on a 75xt skid loader (4bt with VE) and it says M4x6.5x15.72. If you draw those out in cad and do the conversions, they are within thousands of each other. I'm confident that either would work.

This is what I found when I took my pump off. I'm assuming that the last person who had this pump off got the key stuck between the gear and the front of the pump housing. The key is nowhere to be found so its was either lost or is down in the belly of the beast. I can tell the front cover has been off the engine at one point so maybe it caused a little damage at one point, I'm not sure. All I know is It had been running fine for a long time (I can tell the pump hadn't been touched in quite a while) but had recently started getting fuel in the oil. Its a wonder that seal ever held the fuel back.
Attached Thumbnails Need a part number-ve-front.jpg  
Old 07-27-2010, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1$Chuck
Guys,

I pulled my injection pump off on Saturday and there wasn't a woodruff key in between the shaft and the gear. I just got this truck, and don't know the history. Anyway I need a key to put it back and my local cummins dealer isn't too sharp.
I found the sticky that the Bosch part number is:

1 460 023 307

Can anyone tell me what the Cummins part number is?
I wonder if the original key fell out when the pump was removed? Maybe fish around with a magnet to make sure it's not in the timing gears?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Trebor
I wonder if the original key fell out when the pump was removed? Maybe fish around with a magnet to make sure it's not in the timing gears?
Well, I was removing this pump because I was pretty sure it was leaking fuel into the crankcase. When I got the oil fill spout out of the way and I could see the end of the injection pump I couldn't see the end of the key. I pumped the lever on the lift pump to see if I could see fuel leaking and it was shooting through the keyway. For those reasons, I was pretty sure there wasn't a key in it before I pulled the pump off. I was really careful taking the pump out and I never saw or heard anything drop and I fished around in there with a magnet for good measure but came up empty handed.

I plan on putting it back together this evening. I might do some more fishing first, but I don't think there was one in there.