1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

NEED MORE SMOKE

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED MORE SMOKE

how in the world can i get some more smoke?i've got the smoke screw just about all the way down. it just puffs a little at launch and clears right up, would like to see some more smoke
Old 09-28-2003, 03:40 PM
Chapter President

Re:NEED MORE SMOKE

Get some POD injectors that would help you smoke more.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:53 PM

just some new bully dog injectors, and also don't want to smoke that much , plus got goobs of power now just very little smoke , just a small puff of black smoke if i hammer it off the line. thanks anyway.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:03 PM

Someone correct me if I screw this one up, but, the smoke screw is for more fuel off the line, try turning your fuel up a turn or two, if I got more than 2 turns in, I kill every bug for 200 yards, not to mention get some real dirty looks from the Po Po. I turned my smoke screw a little, it launches better, and I'm still running stock injectors.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:00 PM

Listen to your peers!! Turn the POWER screw up (in) some and you should get some smoke. A LOT of smoke at launch is a pain in the derriere, so turn the smoke screw back out till you get a good launch without killing every bug for a hundred miles.

dave
Old 09-28-2003, 08:30 PM

well thanks so far but the fuel screw has been turned in 2 and a half turns ever since i installed the new injectors , right now it will roast the back tires if i stand on it.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:08 PM

Then why worry about smoke if it will "roast the back tires"? If you are smoking a bunch, it means you are wasting fuel as smoke is just incompletely burned fuel. That puff at the beginning is sounds just right!

Carl
Old 09-28-2003, 10:23 PM

i not wanting a big soot cloud , just some smoke for the ricers ;D, maybe i'll turn the screw a little more if i can , i may have to take the lock collar off .
Old 09-28-2003, 10:23 PM

Yea, what Carl said.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:05 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I suspect with the hx35, and injectors, you can turn it up some more before getting much smoke, since you haven't passed the lock collar yet. I haven't heard if anybody here has tried it, but I was talking with a guy a couple months ago that drove a 98. This was his fifth CTD. He has driven them since day one, to include both an inter-cooled and non inter-cooled first gen. He was telling me, when you take the power screw out, there is a copper washer behind it. You take this out then turn the screw all the way in, for max power. I was planning on waiting til I had an inner-cooler and injectors to try this, so I could use all the power. He said there wouldn't be any problems, anybody try this?
Don
Old 09-29-2003, 09:09 PM

It sounds like you have a pretty good setup, Country. Heck, if you want you can have ALL of my smoke. I admit a little puff is fun every now and then, but I think that I could live without it.

Don,
About removing the washer on the power screw and turning it all of the way in - I personally haven't tried that one, but you may want to think twice before doing that. I have never had a pump run away from me, but I have hear of several instances of individuals turning the power screw in too far, and the engine running away. It seems like this could possibly be more of an issue after removing the washer and turning it in even farther. I am not saying that it wouldn't work, but it would make me kind of nervous.

Mike
Old 09-29-2003, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way my settings are now, I am about 1 turn out from totally bottoming out the fuel screw. However, this is with the copper washer still on the screw. But, If I go any further, the RPMs takes a LONG time to come down in between shifts. This is at the point were you are really taking a chance on a runaway.

Have you messed with the settings on the AFC starwheel? You can gain alot of smoke just by adjusting it. BTW...like others said, if you want smoke, I will gladly give you some of mine.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:17 PM

[quote author=country link=board=9;threadid=20266;start=0#msg190259 date=1064780078]
how in the world can i get some more smoke?i've got the smoke screw just about all the way down. it just puffs a little at launch and clears right up, would like to see some more smoke
[/quote]

I have a simple solution. Throw a 5spd in there and start out in 3rd.... ;D

*cough* *cough*
Old 09-29-2003, 10:22 PM

I have loads of smoke, probably kill a bug every couple feet!! It pretty much clears up once the boost is built up, but before then, look out! Make sure youve got your starwheel all the way down, and make sure your eccentric has the deepest face forward so the fuel pin can come out the farthest!! I have POD's, so im sure that helps, but try that!