1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

NEED HELP! 1993 dodge custom 250 dually 1st gen cummins

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation NEED HELP! 1993 dodge custom 250 dually 1st gen cummins

HELP! I just bought a 1993 dodge d250. I live down in south texas and on the way up to vacation I bought it. (couldn't resist it ). however I have to pick it up on the way back and its about a three hour drive. So heres the problem I took it for a quick test drive and the first thing I notice was the abs and brake warning light came on together and stayed on. The other thing I also noticed was the speedo wasn't working but the odometer was still turning. I don't know if this would mess with the speed sensor? i don't know this is my first cummins truck and i'v only done alot of research about them. but I can't seem to find anything for the lights coming on. I'm worried the brakes will fail on the highway or somthing. I only had time to take it around the block so don't know much about the truck. but for the most what should I do for the lights and the speedometer??? I'm going to try to get all the lube done and changed before I drive it back home and hoping they can check for codes. Anyway I don't know if I should be worried or not. The brakes felt a little soft but worked ok. Please post your thoughts thank you!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 05:28 PM

check the brake fluid level. a e-brake light on usually means either low brake fluid or a loss in brake fluid preassure.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the quick reply I checked the brake fluid and its full. When I said the brakes feel soft i'm not sure if its me but like I said I've never had or driven a dodge cummins before so I don't know how its supposed to feel or anything.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the speed sensor on top of the rear pumpkin is bad. That will set the warning lights and not let the speedo work. If it is not on the pumpkin then someone else will chime in where it is.
P.S. Welcome to the DTR!!!!
Old 07-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The speedo and brake problems are unrelated.

Speedo problem is in the speedo itself, since the odometer works we know the VSS and wiring is not to blame.

ABS and brake lights could be a number of things. If they work OK and are not losing fluid, it's not a hydraulic problem and not a big safety issue.

If you take a look in the sticky thread at the top of the 1st gen board, you will find out how to get the ABS codes, that will give you some hints as to the problem.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:15 PM

Be sitting down when you ask a dealer for the price of a speedo, then aquaint yourself with a source for second hand parts.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Yep, hit the junkyard and look for one with mileage you like.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:49 AM

http://www.dnaspeedometers.com/
Clark
Old 07-16-2007, 11:03 AM

identical to what my truck did

Even though I've got a second gen. when I bought my truck that is EXACTLY what mine was doing. Brake + ABS light and a faulty speedo. I would guess it seems pretty accurate in the 40-50 mph range. Mine was the speed sensor in the pumpkin - on the top, about a 20 min job to replace. I don't recall exactly what the part number was, or the price, but I think around $20.

Definately replace that before any checking on a speedo or some sender in the tranny. I left mine alone for months b/c everyone (not all on this board) was telling me it was going to be about $300 to fix.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
The speedo and brake problems are unrelated.

Speedo problem is in the speedo itself, since the odometer works we know the VSS and wiring is not to blame.
Wannadiesel, I didn't mention it in the post I just made, but my ODO was working just fine with the speedo out due to that sensor. I believe the odometer runs from a different sensor possibly located in the transmission (just what I gleaned from talking with the mechs at my local shop)

dieselfreak12, when I first got mine, I thought the same about the brakes (probably mostly due to the lights), I think its mostly mental, mine feel the same way since the truck was new to me.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:01 PM

Hey guys thanks for all yalls inputs. Also sorry I didn't introduce myself rightaway but like I said i'm away from home on vacation. I have to go to the recreation center here to pickup the wireless internet. I've been doing a little more researching and I found that those trucks speed sensors on the pumkin are common to go out after so many miles. Mine has I believe about 178000mi. Of course it was used as a work truck so its not great lookin but it has a fresh coat of paint. What does it matter anyway its a cummins!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselfreak12
Of course it was used as a work truck so its not great lookin but it has a fresh coat of paint. What does it matter anyway its a cummins!!!
No more true words could be spoken. If you want to try to disable the ABS brake lite you can unplug the main power line from the battery (large diameter plug single pole) for about 20 - 30 seconds to reset the RWAL computer. if the lite comes back on you can just go behind the glovebox and pull the plug on the RWAL brain..

Either way, they won't affect your driving.. I preferred to have the RWAL disabled on my 93, it make more sure stops..

Happy travels!
Old 07-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by ado2b1
Even though I've got a second gen. when I bought my truck that is EXACTLY what mine was doing. Brake + ABS light and a faulty speedo. I would guess it seems pretty accurate in the 40-50 mph range. Mine was the speed sensor in the pumpkin - on the top, about a 20 min job to replace. I don't recall exactly what the part number was, or the price, but I think around $20.

Definately replace that before any checking on a speedo or some sender in the tranny. I left mine alone for months b/c everyone (not all on this board) was telling me it was going to be about $300 to fix.
Originally Posted by ado2b1
Wannadiesel, I didn't mention it in the post I just made, but my ODO was working just fine with the speedo out due to that sensor. I believe the odometer runs from a different sensor possibly located in the transmission (just what I gleaned from talking with the mechs at my local shop)

dieselfreak12, when I first got mine, I thought the same about the brakes (probably mostly due to the lights), I think its mostly mental, mine feel the same way since the truck was new to me.
1st gens are different than 2nd gens. The sensor on the axle only runs the RWAL, the one on the trans does everything else.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Banned

Looks like you got it all covered, wannadiesel.

dieselfreak12, if you have any more issues, the 1stGen forum is a great place to post, even though I can understand the 911 style mentality. There are guys in that forum that know these old trucks inside out, and they are totally different animals from their 2ndGen brethren.

Daniel
Old 07-16-2007, 11:13 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but the brake light comes on brighter if there is a fluid problem. Like the difference between the parking brake and the rwal light. Same warning light, but a different brightness.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP! 1993 dodge custom 250 dually 1st gen cummins