1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

My 2wd frame just got an upgrade....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 04:09 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by ADMOPARMAN

I think that drilling the holes for the rear hangers was the hard part. Now all I have to do is bolt the front hangers on and swap crossmemebers.
Drilling frame rails are easy if you have access to a Magnetic Base Drill Press made specifically for this purpose but is you don't then there is still an easy way.

I have drilled many truck frame rails this way.

Here is what you will need:

1/2" electric drill one that has a "D" handle on the back and has a place for a side handle,

I have a Milwaukee Hole Shooter. http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/drills_a...s/1663-20.html

Cobalt Drill Bit (of what ever size you need) Rigid bits are Cobalt.

Several feet of chain with a clevis hook on one end.

What you are going to do, first you will need a helper.

Have your helper hold the drill motor in position on the frame rail where you want to drill your hole with the back handle the same direction as the frame rail.

Pass the length of chain around the frame rail and over the back of the drill motor through the handle and then secure it to snuggly the free end of the chain.

It should look like you are trying to chain the drill to the frame rail.

Now lubricate the drill bit and start the motor, to feed the drill all you need to do is to apply a twisting force to the side handle as you keep the bit straight.

As you twist the drill motor against the chain it will hold the drill straight and feed itself into the frame rail with a great mechanical force as it twist.

I used a handle about 18" long and I was able to drill frame rails on a semi tractor easly within minuets.

You really need to try this to see how easy it is.

Jim
Old 11-15-2009, 04:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Your doing a nice job on your conversion. I also used the 1/2" right angle drill to open up my holes when we installed the HD bushing assembles. On a side note they can be had with the 5/8" greaseable grade 8 bolts now. That should help with the weight of a CTD.
Attached Thumbnails My 2wd frame just got an upgrade....-stock-shackle-flip-022.jpg  
Old 11-15-2009, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting so close I can taste it!! Ran out of daylight and now its supposed to snow today.

I'm gonna try my best to get it all finished up by the end of the day.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Starting to look like a 4X4.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Starting to look like a 4X4.
HECK YEAH!!! Doing this swap doubles the value of the truck right??? Thats what I keep telling myself anyways.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:16 PM

WOO HOO!!

Got the front axle under the truck today and the front cross members in and bolted down. Now I just have to find an entire weekend where I can have both trucks in the shop at the same time to change everything over.

This is my outdoor work area.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:29 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Not much fun working in dirt and gravel - I've done a lot of that. How about a frame of some 2x4s or pvc pipe and a big silver tarp, that would give you a semi dry area to work in?

You're making a lot more progress than I am! But I'm wanting to de-rust and paint everything which really slows progress.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by bigredbrick
You're making a lot more progress than I am! But I'm wanting to de-rust and paint everything which really slows progress.
Yeah this truck is gonna be a daily driver.. Just trying to get it driveable, not too worried about making it fancy. The MEGA Crew project will get the full treatment though.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:49 AM

The month of December.... MOST snowfall Lincoln has seen in a month since they started keeping records in 1899.

NOT making much progress.

It also doesn't help that the social hall that I share the alley with decided to plow all of the snow from their lot onto the back of our yards.