1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

More fuel...Best place to get injector tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More fuel...Best place to get injector tips?

I got my trans and transfer case ripped out of my truck right now to swap in my built 47rh soon when I get some more time. I'm gonna go through my transfer case while its out and put new bearings and seals in it as long as everything else is good. So...

In the meantime I am taking fuels class in school right now and we are going to start tearing into injectors and injection pumps in the next few weeks. I was thinkin about puttin some bigger tips in my old stockers and pop test/balance and clean them. I was thinkin about goin with 6x18 or 6x16 tips? I'm still not 100% sure what I want to go with but thats what I've leaned towards the last few years from everything I've read and heard about them. My friend/diesel shop thats building my 47rh right now said he could get me a set of 7x14 injectors with modded bodies for $500. He said thats what he runs in his p pumped 24 valve and has plenty of fuel, so i also thought about goin that route if the tips were too expensive. What exactly do injector shops do to aftermarket injectors that they sell other than put bigger tips in them and pop test/balance them? Do they or can they mod the bodies for more fuel or what else can you do to the injector?

I am also thinkin about building a 14mm pump with a good spare VE I have and loctiting the front seal so I can run more inlet pressure. Figured I'd do it while in class and have access to a pump bench. This way I'd still have my 12mm VE for a spare if I burn the 14mm up. I've heard that rockentech is the only place to get the 14mm head and rotor, is that still right?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5 holes make a cleaner power over 6 holes from what I have read from a well known injector builder. SDX sells tips.

Rockentech is the only people I know of who have the 14mm stuff anymore.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by dieselJon
5 holes make a cleaner power over 6 holes from what I have read from a well known injector builder. SDX sells tips.

Rockentech is the only people I know of who have the 14mm stuff anymore.
I know I've read that about 2nd gens' but I recall Brian (KTA) saying he tested many injectors in 'Ol Yellow and 6 holes always made more power for him.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by peobryant
I know I've read that about 2nd gens' but I recall Brian (KTA) saying he tested many injectors in 'Ol Yellow and 6 holes always made more power for him.
I've heard this as well, 5 holers are better with p pumps. Plus I figure my stockers were 6 holers and many people seem to like 6x16s or 6x18s in 1st gens. I'm pretty set on 6x18 tips, if they don't do what I want them to I can always change, trade or sell them.

What other shops besides SDX can I get just tips for a reasonable price?

Is New Era or Coaltrain still around?
anyone had any experience with rocken tech's injector tips?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:44 PM

If you are worried about smoke don't get a big 7 hole injector, as it will almost certainly be 158* spray angle. I ran some 7x12 for a while and they made tremendous power with my 63/68/.88, but they were very smokey unless I drove very carefully. The six hole injectors can be prone to uneven spray patterns from needle steer which is why people like five holes better.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by peobryant
IIRC...From smokem's testing, the six hole injectors made more power but weren't as clean as a five hole injector of equal orifice size.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fatt
If you are worried about smoke don't get a big 7 hole injector, as it will almost certainly be 158* spray angle. I ran some 7x12 for a while and they made tremendous power with my 63/68/.88, but they were very smokey unless I drove very carefully. The six hole injectors can be prone to uneven spray patterns from needle steer which is why people like five holes better.
I cant speak for .012`s but my 7x10`s (158 deg...grrr) run surprisingly clean. It took a LOT of tuning and I`ll admit I did turn the full fuel down from bottomed to about 1 3/4 out (searching for some more mpg`s ). Funny tho, lightening up the full fuel had little effect over the majority of these sticks` smoke, biggest improvement cam from afc and timing tweaks. Now it`ll idle 98% haze free and matting it WOT shows a good dark puff that quickly fades to a *light* gray haze once the turbo lights (running a 35/40 hybrid).
Old 03-26-2012, 06:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://injectorparts.com/catalog/ Not sure about quality but I found these guys in a search and the price is good. Maybe check them out.