1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

low budget air filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
low budget air filter

i opened my air box the other day to find that i need a new air filter. i am still recouperating from the initial purchase of the truck so i need a decent filter with a decent price. any suggestions? should i just go to my local parts store and get the FRAM model or whatever they carry?

Karsten.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:25 AM

Air Filter is not something you want to save money on by buying the CHEAPEST one. Here is where you want quality. Try NAPA if you arent going to install a BHAF right away
Old 11-16-2005, 02:45 PM

autozone has stock fram replacements for $30 or somewhere around there.
you can get a bhaf from airflo for somewhere around $55 shipped.http://store.airflo.com/b105006.html
Old 11-16-2005, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wix,Wix,Wix,or fleet guard. Napa and southern auto`s are Wix. Or an AFE but there $75 or so.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For what a stock replacement costs, just get a BHAF---you'll actually save money 'cause it'll last longer. I think I paid 45-ish for my wix BHAF
Old 11-16-2005, 06:19 PM

if i go bhaf do i need to fabricate some sort of new air box, or will it fit in the stock unit?

what exactly is bhaf?
Old 11-16-2005, 06:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I tossed my airbox in the corner of the shop. The BHAF slid right into the factory intake pipe. I would recommend a short piece of 4'' intake pipe to stiffen up the BHAF inlet, as it wasn't really meant for this application, then just clamp it down with the factory clamp. Other than that, mine just rests on the fenderwell and has worked great for 8k miles.

edit: BHAF---Big Honkin' Air Filter! Part #'s are in the tech facts section.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.fleetfilter.com has them for $29 or so-- thats the best price ive found so far
Old 11-17-2005, 08:45 PM

so i pulled my old filter today and found that the P.O. had spent the big bucks on a K&N filter. so i went out and bought the cleaning kit. let me tell you, this thing was 100% utterly FILTHY i found just about every flying bug i've ever seen and a few i hav'nt. i went by the instructions on the cleaning kit and after i washed the thing out it was still nasty. guess i shoulda brushed harder. anywho, after spending $15 bucks on the cleaning kit and it not even working i decided i didnt want to fork with it any longer and just got a fram for now. i've heard that the K&N's arent really that good for our trucks, and apperently i should be using a Big Honkin Air Filter, but this means i will need to fabricate a new air box if i want to keep my cold air intake? would it even be worth my while to clean the K&N more thoroughly and use it again?
Old 11-18-2005, 03:32 AM

K and N in the trash. Spend the $40 on a bhaf. Just remove the airbox, clamp the filter to the intake hose and lay the filter on the fender liner. For more insurance an Outerwears prefilter- $25 will make the filter last longer and stay dry in case of a super soaker. Cummins dealer, big rig shop, Napa are places to obtain a bhaf. Fleetguard pn is AH19037, Napa 2790. I checked on that fleetfilter site and with shipping it was gonna be $40. I can get the Fleetguard filter from Scheids in town for that price.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by jeepsuck
so i pulled my old filter today and found that the P.O. had spent the big bucks on a K&N filter. so i went out and bought the cleaning kit. let me tell you, this thing was 100% utterly FILTHY i found just about every flying bug i've ever seen and a few i hav'nt. i went by the instructions on the cleaning kit and after i washed the thing out it was still nasty. guess i shoulda brushed harder. anywho, after spending $15 bucks on the cleaning kit and it not even working i decided i didnt want to fork with it any longer and just got a fram for now. i've heard that the K&N's arent really that good for our trucks, and apperently i should be using a Big Honkin Air Filter, but this means i will need to fabricate a new air box if i want to keep my cold air intake? would it even be worth my while to clean the K&N more thoroughly and use it again?
good to know.. I just looked at my new trucks filter and found an AFE that was caked in dirt.... I don't think it can be properly cleaned!! I might try this other way that is described too.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:38 AM

I have an AFE ( similar to the K&N) When I clean mine I soak it in a 5 gallon bucket of hot Simple green water for a couple of hours first. Then I use a gadget that I made to clean the filter from the inside out. It's a sweivel hose attachment threaded into a drip pressure regulator that is threaded into a ball valve then into a nipple which has a round pattern sprinkler head attached to the end. You just drop the filter open end up into a 5 gallon bucket with drain holes and move the wand up and down inside the filter. The spray pattern blows out all of the softened ( from soaking) debris gently without damaging the filter. I clean mine about every 3-4 months. Don't try this without the regulator or you'll blow holes in the filter. I'll post a pic on my gallery later. It's an easy gadget to make and works great.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by bgilbert
K and N in the trash. Spend the $40 on a bhaf. Just remove the airbox, clamp the filter to the intake hose and lay the filter on the fender liner. For more insurance an Outerwears prefilter- $25 will make the filter last longer and stay dry in case of a super soaker. Cummins dealer, big rig shop, Napa are places to obtain a bhaf. Fleetguard pn is AH19037, Napa 2790. I checked on that fleetfilter site and with shipping it was gonna be $40. I can get the Fleetguard filter from Scheids in town for that price.
im the trash can. send me that k n filter ill use it as a backup
Old 11-25-2005, 01:14 AM

I'll take 30 bucks for my (virtually new [1 month old]) K&N ... I think I live nearby.
Mike