1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Loud drone in cab

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud drone in cab

I recently did my 4" exhaust and ran it out in front of the rr wheel. I checked and rechecked all welds, etc and nothing is leaking, but around 70mph i cant stand the Drone sound in the cab, its like a gasser that is not getting any fuel, just sucking air. Starts about 70mph, and if i floor it, im afriad either my head is gonna explode or a window is. Funny thing is, sometimes at 70 mph i dont hear it, and other times I do(when i do, its always super loud). I have had a clutch fan go bad before, and you can hear that roar, but unless this one is different i dont think its it. I cant even hear the radio(not that i really care, but on long trips its nice)

Its like a super super loud HMMMMM noise. Is there anything I can check? I dont think is where my exhaust exits, because my buddy has his the same way, and all you hear is the exhaust noise.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:17 AM

Yeah it kinda feels like your head is being drilled from both sides and your brains are getting scrambled. The first thing I would check is to make sure that nothing is hard welded to the frame if its not on a rubber hanger it will vibrate badly and drone.

As far as curing the rest of the drone. You can play with tailpipe length or put a resonator on it to try and tune it out. Otherwise get a muffler. Thats what I'm going to do.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:34 AM

well I have the stock mount welded to the 4", and then bolted through the bellhousing(in that rubber sleeve), and exhaust hangers back the system, both have rubber strips for hangers.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:29 AM

i have heard that it you clamp a peice of angle iron to the exhaust it will change it. you might have to play with lengths and position but i heard it works. i have never tried it but if i had drone i would
Old 10-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I sympathize with you, I also can get a drone in my reg cab that sounds like it is coming from somewhere inside my head. I added sound insulation to the floor and firewall, removing the seats, and to the interior of the doors. All this helped, but it is still there. Funny thing is, if I lean forward about one foot, the noise completely disappears. Go figure.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Baja
I sympathize with you, I also can get a drone in my reg cab that sounds like it is coming from somewhere inside my head. I added sound insulation to the floor and firewall, removing the seats, and to the interior of the doors. All this helped, but it is still there. Funny thing is, if I lean forward about one foot, the noise completely disappears. Go figure.
BINGO. Same here. I bet someone could make some good money if they invented a cream or paste that would do away with the drone. I actually want to hear the exhaust, not the drone.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Banned

I would be glad to settle for the exhaust noise over the drone, but what I really want to hear is the stereo, especially on long trips. My next move it to add a bunch of insulation to the underside of the hood.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:28 PM

I put a short 4in straight through muffler (tractor application from stanley muffler) on mine to stop the droning. It would drive me nuts with a single 5in turnout stack even with the top of the cab (so it will fit in a parking deck). Looking forward you wouldn't notice it, but turn your head a little bit and it was insane. My 2 5in straights didn't drone, but they were very loud, people could hear me coming for a mile if they were outside.

When my 3in straight exhast went out the back in the stock location, the drone wasn't bad, but it was noticable.