1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Looking for Warn winch bumper mounting kit #

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Warn winch bumper mounting kit #

Hey guys,

I'm looking for the mounting kit/bracket # to mount a Warn Classic winch bumper on the 73-93 Dodge trucks. Not too long ago I found an application chart with the part #'s but now I can't find it. I have a guy(not local or course) that has lots of kits but he can't tell me what they fit. So, if anyone can help me come up with the part # I need I would owe you big.

Thanks!
-Ben
Old 01-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by 4xfourfun
Hey guys,

I'm looking for the mounting kit/bracket # to mount a Warn Classic winch bumper on the 73-93 Dodge trucks. Not too long ago I found an application chart with the part #'s but now I can't find it. I have a guy(not local or course) that has lots of kits but he can't tell me what they fit. So, if anyone can help me come up with the part # I need I would owe you big.

Thanks!
-Ben
I could not find one when I was searching for mine. I bought a chevy winch bumper off ebay and was able to use the chevy brackets, but I had to drill some holes to match the dodge. I had to cut the ends off the bumper to fit the dodge...Mark
Old 01-14-2011, 10:30 AM

Thanks for the reply Mark. I made a set of brackets years ago from scratch but wasn't really happy how they turned out. That may be my only option though. Hopefully somebody may have the bracket part # and I can see if this guy has a set.

From what I remember all of the older Warn bumpers were the same, you just had to buy a mounting kit for your truck.

Here's the truck I rescued the bumper off of.....

Name:  1423.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  36.9 KB
Old 01-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Are you a Firefighter? I did 26 years in Phoenix. I remember when I installed my winch that the warn bumpers were twice as much as the winch (ouch) and I took a chance on the one from ebay, around 100 bucks IIRC. Mark
Old 01-14-2011, 02:48 PM

I'm building a winch plate for my buddy's truck right now. I am mounting a receiver hitch on the front of the truck and then putting the mile marker winch on a big plate welded to a piece that will slide into a receiver hitch. That way he can mount it on the front or on the back. And just hook the cables up to the batter when its on the front and use long jumper cables when its on the back. We thought about running cable to the back of the truck and using welding quick connects but it would be a little pricey. Plus this way you can leave the winch off when you don't need it.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 92smokin blacky
I'm building a winch plate for my buddy's truck right now. I am mounting a receiver hitch on the front of the truck and then putting the mile marker winch on a big plate welded to a piece that will slide into a receiver hitch. That way he can mount it on the front or on the back. And just hook the cables up to the batter when its on the front and use long jumper cables when its on the back. We thought about running cable to the back of the truck and using welding quick connects but it would be a little pricey. Plus this way you can leave the winch off when you don't need it.
I like the idea of putting the winch on the rear, because an oldtimer used to tell me "look at it this way, you already drove into trouble, do you really want to winch yourself further in?". I think he was right in 90% of cases...Mark
Old 01-14-2011, 03:39 PM

Hey Mark,

Yes, I started out on the dept as a volunteer and eventually tested and got hired full time. Greatest job ever, I love it! I did like my job at a Bobcat dealership too, I brought home plenty of things to play with on the weekends....

Rear winches are nice, they do come in handy when you don't want to go forward.

The Warn on this '86 F250 was giving us a few problems. I took it off to make some repairs and just got the ok to build a new brush truck. The old Ford has a whopping 21xxx on her so its about worn out anyway So, the repairs were cancelled and the winch/bumper stayed off. Just ordered a Dodge 4500 cab/chassis a couple weeks ago to build into a new brush truck, can't wait for it to get here.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Hey Mark,

Yes, I started out on the dept as a volunteer and eventually tested and got hired full time. Greatest job ever, I love it! I did like my job at a Bobcat dealership too, I brought home plenty of things to play with on the weekends....

Rear winches are nice, they do come in handy when you don't want to go forward.

The Warn on this '86 F250 was giving us a few problems. I took it off to make some repairs and just got the ok to build a new brush truck. The old Ford has a whopping 21xxx on her so its about worn out anyway So, the repairs were cancelled and the winch/bumper stayed off. Just ordered a Dodge 4500 cab/chassis a couple weeks ago to build into a new brush truck, can't wait for it to get here.
Congrats on the job, and I use the word job loosely because it can be easy to leave a job, but this one's for life. Are you doing the work on the new brush truck? I always really admired the guys in the fire shop here. They custom fabricated almost everything beyond the basic rig. Mark
Old 01-14-2011, 04:22 PM

Thank you so much for yours years of service Mark.

Yes, I am going to try to build the whole thing in house. Cab and chassis should be here in a month or two. Found the bed I am wanting, nned to figue up exactly how much compartment space we need. Have a good idea of the pump/skid unit I want for it too. Need to have it going by spring and of course I have a tight budget to work with. Hopefully it will all come together. I might start a thread on here showing the stages of it if I can remember.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Thank you so much for yours years of service Mark.

Yes, I am going to try to build the whole thing in house. Cab and chassis should be here in a month or two. Found the bed I am wanting, nned to figue up exactly how much compartment space we need. Have a good idea of the pump/skid unit I want for it too. Need to have it going by spring and of course I have a tight budget to work with. Hopefully it will all come together. I might start a thread on here showing the stages of it if I can remember.
Good idea on the thread, take lots o' pics. We used to have 2 used MB unimogs converted to brush trucks. I'll see if I have any pics. One had super crawler gears and would climb a tree...Mark
Old 01-16-2011, 07:13 AM

Hey Mark, I would love to see pictures of those!