1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Looking for a frame

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM
BHD

Received 389 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredbrick
Here's some pictures

Dude that is pristine for Pennsyltucky. I would be happy if all my stuff looked half that good.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:12 PM

Received 1,041 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
I am ready. More often than not when I think of what I like about this place you can't do or go there anymore.

now for the firearms part: Assembly bill 7 restricts open carry on public land. ie national forests. this is the most crippling to us.
Assy. bill 424more school zone restrictions on firearms. ASSY. bill464 makes FFL have tighter security. ASSY.bill would restrict buying of all firearms to one a month.
I haven't read these yet but I am sure there is more crammed into each one.
When they start confiscating automatic rubber band shooters is when you know they've gone off the deep end. Wait...what? Some teacher just expelled a 10 year old from school for nibbling a piece of toast in the shape of a pistol.

Some people out here are just Bat Poop crazy!

Edwin
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 05:49 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
When they start confiscating automatic rubber band shooters is when you know they've gone off the deep end. Wait...what? Some teacher just expelled a 10 year old from school for nibbling a piece of toast in the shape of a pistol.

Some people out here are just Bat Poop crazy!

Edwin
I am working on nibbling a piece of bread into the shape of an AR15 but I need a bigger piece of bread.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 1,041 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
I am working on nibbling a piece of bread into the shape of an AR15 but I need a bigger piece of bread.
If you nibble it I bet I could get my wife to bake it. It would probably easier to lay the dough out in that shape and then bake it. If we put food coloring in it to make it black we could probably get arrested.
mknittle (07-27-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I send a few pictures of the '92 RC I just bought to T-man today. If he wants to load them you guys can check out some real east coast frame rust.
What's you talking about Willis ?
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a frame-rc-1-.jpg   Looking for a frame-rc-2-.jpg   Looking for a frame-rc-3-.jpg  
oliver foster (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
If you nibble it I bet I could get my wife to bake it. It would probably easier to lay the dough out in that shape and then bake it. If we put food coloring in it to make it black we could probably get arrested.
Then BLM will be all over you !!!!

(Bear's lives matter)
mknittle (07-27-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
What's you talking about Willis ?
And to think I thought I had a rust problem. That makes the frame on my truck look like it just rolled off the assembly line.
mknittle (07-27-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 11:13 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
That's what happens when a ramcharger turns plow truck. That nasty salt or most any winter snow removal products that are corrosive should be banned from use on any and all roads.
mknittle (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,601 Posts
Yeah that poor RC only has 68,xxx, one owner miles...
The fiberglass hatch is the only reusable body panel on it.

Finding a nice ex-cab 4x4 1st gen frame will be a challenge.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:02 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Looking at that ramcharger Oliver purchased, I know I probably am not one to chime in, living here in CA with no rust on any of my vehicles, I'm just going off of some folks here that know rust is a problem they have, and they are proactive in specialty maintenance to combat that.

Having said that, some fault has to go to the previous owner for lack of maintenance. Common sense tells me the highway road maintenance crews that work in the rust belt must do something to their trucks and equipment, to protect the steel. If I lived in the rust belt, those are the folks I would hit up and ask what they do to at least tame that rust a bit.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Common sense tells me the highway road maintenance crews that work in the rust belt must do something to their trucks and equipment, to protect the steel.
LOL, Yea, they sell them every 5-7 years and replace them with new......... Nothing but the finest with our tax dollars.

They let the next poor sucker try and save what is left of the frame.

You would be surprised at how many of them with identical frames of that Ramcharger are still running around out here............. Just saw an old Ford ( 93-94 ) F150 come into the junkyard where the owner had been stuffing 2X10 sections over the end of the leaf spring and under the bed to "fix" the rusted off shackles. Upon closer inspection, it was literally the only fix left, the frame where the shackle mounted to was gone as well. Ah, resourceful owners.....
The following 2 users liked this post by patdaly:
Diesel_Dawg (07-27-2017), mknittle (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Ya what pat said new trucks on our tax dollars but I would say more like 3-5 years for anything the state uses with salt or calcium chloride. Our local counties would fit the 5-7 years but they are slightly more accountable with our local dollars. The state on the other hand finds a new source of income if they need it for something like plows and such.
NJTman (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 08:09 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by deere country
Ya what pat said new trucks on our tax dollars but I would say more like 3-5 years for anything the state uses with salt or calcium chloride. Our local counties would fit the 5-7 years but they are slightly more accountable with our local dollars. The state on the other hand finds a new source of income if they need it for something like plows and such.
Curious to know what they do with the good useable parts like the engines, inside trim, turbos, etc.
If the frames rot out within 5 years, that's just breaking in a Diesel engine.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:39 PM
BHD

Received 389 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Curious to know what they do with the good useable parts like the engines, inside trim, turbos, etc.
If the frames rot out within 5 years, that's just breaking in a Diesel engine.
Frames are not the only thing rusted out. Oil pans, freeze plugs, injector lines, air lines are also junk.. I've seen Eaton rears rusted thru and Roadranger transmissions with the bolt heads rusted off. Salt sucks.
The following 2 users liked this post by BHD:
bigragu (07-28-2017), patdaly (07-28-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I send a few pictures of the '92 RC I just bought to T-man today. If he wants to load them you guys can check out some real east coast frame rust.
Show off! Your frame's rustier than mine, LOL. Looks like that was parked in the ocean for a few years.
How do you determine how much has been lost? Then, which is easier/harder, restoring what's there or transplanting everything to a better frame? Seems like everything has to come off the frame to do it right if the frame is still strong enough for 3,000 lbs of camper in the bed.

Quick Reply: Looking for a frame