1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

lets see some wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice duster ace. I got a 71 340 resto project I am doing. I also am a fan of the dog dish hub caps especially the old mopar cop car wheels. I have a set on my 90 gas truck and I just bought a set to day at the flea market.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:07 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
A warning about aftermarket wheels

My truck has those same Ford Wheels that Kayers has and well they're the "Classic" model made by Alcoa in the USA and rated for 3750 LBS @ 110PSI. You can still buy them today brand new (http://www.southwestwheel.com/wheels/alcoa/167041.htm) or find them on a ford pre superduty f250 or e350/250 van. I would try looking long and hard for a weight rating on your aftermarket steel wheels. Accuride makes the best Steel rims for our trucks and they've got a 3045 lb weight rating @ 80 psi. I had some aftermarket US wheel "Chrome Blade" 16x7 8 lug steel rims on my truck when I bought it and it turns out that all four wheels were "bent beyond balancing" according to my tire dealer after 1 year of hiway driving on my 2wd... I later found out that the weight rating was only 2000 lbs! I emailed US wheel and demanded that they place the Load/weight rating on their website with their wheels! At this point they are the only website that I can find publishing this information on these import wheels... (http://www.uswheel.com/wheel.cfm?category=41) I was thinking: What is the point of buying these fancy load range E tires for 200 $ a piece that are rated for 3450 lbs if the rims can't hold close to that much weight or stay straight? Stick with Accuride or Aloca in my opinion and it doesn't as much matter as much about Steel Vs. Alu rather than the quality of workmanship. BTW watch out for aftermarket Aluminum wheels that are "cast" not "forged" like Alcoa. (Did you know that last year WELD wheel filed Chapter 11 last year citing that it was a poor business plan to begin importing Cast aluminum wheels from China?) Same material, yet night and day as far as strength is concerned. School yourself on this, and I challenge you to TRY and look up your weight rating on your aftermarket wheels... you'll be in for a

And BTW KaYers Nice wheels and nice truck. I have the same looking rig as yours, same wheels and same non LE trim reg cab 2wd with moog 7226S springs, and I'm also an A&P mechanic...

GasganoFJ60 said "I only trust Steel under a CTD" Well sir, you may want to look into what that steel you're talking about is rated for in weight and look where it was manufactured, American Racing Wheels are made in China is my guess... These wheels are also distributed by "US Wheel" and have a weight rating of 2200Lbs... http://www.uswheel.com/wheel.cfm?category=59
By the look of the 3 huge balancing weights on your front wheel in the picture I would conjure to guess that that rim in particular is already bent... Take it into your tire shop and have them spin it on the balancer for you, you'll be shocked to see how out of true it is... I trust my Beer can / Aircraft aluminum 3750LB rated forged wheels 100% more than a wheel designed to merely look cool and lets not forget you get what you pay for.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the more utilitarian or military look here are the H1 hummer one piece steel wheels on my truck. The rims are rated for 3800 lbs at 50 psi. I have D rated 35's which are rated to 3300 lbs each, I run 45 PSI front and 40 rear.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 AM

I'm planning to get these for my truck in the very near future...probably gonna go with the Super Swamper SSR 35x10.50R17s for tires.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by kiszka6911
For the more utilitarian or military look here are the H1 hummer one piece steel wheels on my truck. The rims are rated for 3800 lbs at 50 psi. I have D rated 35's which are rated to 3300 lbs each, I run 45 PSI front and 40 rear.

I like those. Do you have a better pic of them by any chance?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's mine without the dually's and with Dick Cepek DC-1's and 285/75-16 TrailCutter RT's.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:59 PM

I've got the american racing outlaw II's. Looks like they were put on back in 90, so they look beat, but have held up well structurally.
lets see some wheels-finished-001.jpg
Old 10-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
My truck has those same Ford Wheels that Kayers has and well they're the "Classic" model made by Alcoa in the USA and rated for 3750 LBS @ 110PSI. You can still buy them today brand new (http://www.southwestwheel.com/wheels/alcoa/167041.htm) or find them on a ford pre superduty f250 or e350/250 van. I would try looking long and hard for a weight rating on your aftermarket steel wheels. Accuride makes the best Steel rims for our trucks and they've got a 3045 lb weight rating @ 80 psi. I had some aftermarket US wheel "Chrome Blade" 16x7 8 lug steel rims on my truck when I bought it and it turns out that all four wheels were "bent beyond balancing" according to my tire dealer after 1 year of hiway driving on my 2wd... I later found out that the weight rating was only 2000 lbs! I emailed US wheel and demanded that they place the Load/weight rating on their website with their wheels! At this point they are the only website that I can find publishing this information on these import wheels... (http://www.uswheel.com/wheel.cfm?category=41) I was thinking: What is the point of buying these fancy load range E tires for 200 $ a piece that are rated for 3450 lbs if the rims can't hold close to that much weight or stay straight? Stick with Accuride or Aloca in my opinion and it doesn't as much matter as much about Steel Vs. Alu rather than the quality of workmanship. BTW watch out for aftermarket Aluminum wheels that are "cast" not "forged" like Alcoa. (Did you know that last year WELD wheel filed Chapter 11 last year citing that it was a poor business plan to begin importing Cast aluminum wheels from China?) Same material, yet night and day as far as strength is concerned. School yourself on this, and I challenge you to TRY and look up your weight rating on your aftermarket wheels... you'll be in for a

And BTW KaYers Nice wheels and nice truck. I have the same looking rig as yours, same wheels and same non LE trim reg cab 2wd with moog 7226S springs, and I'm also an A&P mechanic...

GasganoFJ60 said "I only trust Steel under a CTD" Well sir, you may want to look into what that steel you're talking about is rated for in weight and look where it was manufactured, American Racing Wheels are made in China is my guess... These wheels are also distributed by "US Wheel" and have a weight rating of 2200Lbs... http://www.uswheel.com/wheel.cfm?category=59
By the look of the 3 huge balancing weights on your front wheel in the picture I would conjure to guess that that rim in particular is already bent... Take it into your tire shop and have them spin it on the balancer for you, you'll be shocked to see how out of true it is... I trust my Beer can / Aircraft aluminum 3750LB rated forged wheels 100% more than a wheel designed to merely look cool and lets not forget you get what you pay for.
Well spoken. I have had the classic alcoas on my truck for some time now with no ill effects and hardly any weights are required when i get new tires to balance them. 100% Forged aluminum is actually stornger than many types of steel and a lot lighter.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:05 PM

Another vote for the Ford/Alcoa rims here. Not the best picture of the wheels, but it is a way nice looking engine on the way in. EDIT....for some reason I can't get the picture to load
Old 10-24-2007, 08:46 AM

these came on my truck

but I had to clean them and get that tar off them.
before

after

how i did it
http://www.impaks.com/dodge_project5.asp

Old 10-24-2007, 10:01 AM

Here is mine with the American Eagle 186's. Tires are too skinny still though.