1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

lectric issues.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lectric issues.

any idea what it means when your windows stop working and the parking brake and ABS light come on and wont go off? my aftermarket gauges stopped working as well so im assuming it may be a connection related to the install, which i did not do.

the problem as rectified itself all three times now. first thing i did was check all the fuses, all good. it magically started working again after that so i have not searched any further.

any ideas?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This isn't going to clear it up, but...
First got mine, the exact same thing happened. For the first 2 or 3 trips, I could look at the brake and ABS lights and know it my windows would work. I also found some other nonworking electricals when this occurred. The blower motor, and once, the signal lights. Eventually, I found these bazaar electrical happenings to be the result of releasing the ignition switch when I started it. It didn't spring back toward "start" enough, and it acted like the ignition was off. Being the slacker I am, now I just make sure the ign switch is in it's proper location, and everything works.

Notice I said the above was discovered during the first 2 or 3 trips. Then, if the brake lights went out, my windows worked. From that point, my brake lights now stay on no matter what. But, I have brake issues, so they're telling the truth. Why they did exactly like your for those first trips are way, away beyond me. But, as a starter, check to see if your ignition switch is going up against that hard spot prior to engaging the starter. If it's not. gently rotate it until you feel the stop, just prior to engaging the starter. See if your windows came back. If they do, let me know about your brake warning lights.

I have no idea why the brake lights, first went out with working windows, and stayed on with non working windows. Now they stay on no matter what. Wannabe suggested the brake lights could be in reference to brake problems. Turns out to be true. (non working rear abs) whooda thunk?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ron,

you were exactly right about the positioning of the key when my problems happened. it seems when the key doesnt spring back properly certain electrical items do not function!

thanks for the input.