1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Leak at freeze plug before 2300 mile journey.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leak at freeze plug before 2300 mile journey.

My trailer is hitched and nearly loaded. Thousands of pounds.

I'm headed over I-80 to Denver from Portland, and then on to Texas.

As it's always pouring rain and dark in Portland, when the sun came out today I took the time to examine the engine again. And what do I find but the coolant level down half an inch, and what looks like a slow leak by the rear passenger side freeze plug.

What do I do ? How easy is this to fix ?

Can I tow a load with this and add coolant as I go, or is there a danger of the thing popping loose all of a sudden and letting my coolant out ?

As I live in Portland for two more days, there is a Cummins shop here, I assume they sell freeze plugs ?

Here are some quick and dirty cell phone shots. Most of the discoloration is from an old leak before I owned it, but there is some fresh green coolant visible.

Many, many thanks. This is stressing me out bigtime.

-SEAN
Attached Thumbnails Leak at freeze plug before 2300 mile journey.-img00501.jpg   Leak at freeze plug before 2300 mile journey.-img00502.jpg   Leak at freeze plug before 2300 mile journey.-img00503.jpg   Leak at freeze plug before 2300 mile journey.-img00504.jpg   Leak at freeze plug before 2300 mile journey.-img00506.jpg  

Old 03-31-2010, 04:49 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
hopefully all this bad luck turns into good luck for you sean. haven't heard an update about your front suspension but i can imagine between that and now this issue, you're pretty frustrated with the thing. but don't give up. as most would agree, when you fix one thing, something else goes wrong but it's all part of owning and maintaining a vehicle.

cummins ought to have a freeze plug or a set of freeze plugs available. from what i can remember reading (don't quote me exactly), getting them out is just a matter of drilling a hole in the center and prying it out. putting a new one in (again, don't quote me) only takes a few smacks with a hammer and a small piece of 2x4 so you can hammer it straight and get it flush with the block. i'm thinking also that there may be another thing you need to do to sort of expand the new plug in place. i hope someone with experience in these will chime in quickly so you can get back on the road!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see how that will effect driving it as long as you keep your eye on the temp gauge and watch the level in the rad.

I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

I say silicone it up for now.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
I don't see how that will effect driving it as long as you keep your eye on the temp gauge and watch the level in the rad.

I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

I say silicone it up for now.
Silicone it how ? On the outside ? With what kind of sealant, like black RTV ?

I realize a Cummins plug is $3, but I'm out of time. I'll buy a few for the road and plenty of coolant should it become an issue. I'll have time to rest in Denver, but that is on the other side of the mountains...and I'm towing a 6x12 U Haul loaded with 2K pounds give or take.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
black RTV would seal it up temporarily. just keep an eye on your coolant level and gauge like brandon said.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:03 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If you have time, I'd change it just for peace of mind. At least carry a spare and the right size socket to drive it in.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:38 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If that blows out the engine could spike hot real quick. I suspect you would smell it if it did pop out but who knows. RTV on the outside under pressure won't do much.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
if you put new soft plugs in don't use rtv on then. use permatech #1 the black stuff that you cant get off your hands Ken
Old 03-31-2010, 08:19 PM

How do you pull the old one and put the new in without specialized equipment ? My stuff with the exception of some hand tools is packed deep.

Pry and pound ? And what is the right socket to pound it in with ?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience at getting out freeze plugs goes something like this. Take a small screwdriver gently Were the leak is should punch right through that pride out. To install the new freeze plug get a socket about the right size that fits inside the freeze plug put it in place and tap it in until it's flush with edge of the engine.
For temporary fix for your trip you might consider JB Weld. I would take the radiator cap off run the engine until it's warm, either during the coolant or put a vacuum on the radiator, apply a quick set JB Weld ( to the old freeze plug ).
As a last resort you might try Bars Stop Leak.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Santaclaus
My experience at getting out freeze plugs goes something like this. Take a small screwdriver gently Were the leak is should punch right through that pride out. To install the new freeze plug get a socket about the right size that fits inside the freeze plug put it in place and tap it in until it's flush with edge of the engine.
For temporary fix for your trip you might consider JB Weld. I would take the radiator cap off run the engine until it's warm, either during the coolant or put a vacuum on the radiator, apply a quick set JB Weld ( to the old freeze plug ).
As a last resort you might try Bars Stop Leak.
What size socket ? Anyone ? I have to go dig my big ones out ?

Prying won't screw up hole in block ? No time to JB Weld, might as well fix plug at that rate.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:31 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I drill a hole in the plug, screw a screw in the hole and pull out that way. Its been years since I have done it but they need to be square and not pushed in to far. I have had plenty of the rubber soft ones blow out but I have never tried that black sticky stuff like was mentioned above.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Richie O
I drill a hole in the plug, screw a screw in the hole and pull out that way. Its been years since I have done it but they need to be square and not pushed in to far. I have had plenty of the rubber soft ones blow out but I have never tried that black sticky stuff like was mentioned above.
Rubber soft ones ? Cummins sells these ?

Drill is packed. Large screws are packed.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:08 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
When I do them I just use a punch and hit one of the sides til it goes sideways. then grab it with a pair of pliers and pull it out. Then when I put them in I always use a little rtv around the plug to help it seal once in.
If you are leaving in a few hours then just having it in the glove box would give me peice of mind. But then again, I'm not sure I'd want to try it on the side of a highway either if I could avoid it.
My bet would be you'd be ok til you reach your new home. Just keep an eye on it during the trip!
Good luck
Old 03-31-2010, 10:12 PM

Mine looked just like that, I took a self taping screw stuck it in and used a claw hammer to pry it out. got a new one from napa

Quick Reply: Leak at freeze plug before 2300 mile journey.