1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

KDP investigation...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 11:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
KDP investigation...

Wanted to share my KDP experience... now I think this pic shows where the pin was supposed to be.

KDP supposed to be here?

This pic shows where I repaired case years ago because of major oil leak. Didn’t know anything about KDP back then. Couldn’t figure out why case was broken and piece was spun around on bolt.

Broken cover

Wasn’t going to buy new cover/case, so just JB welded that sucker and it was fine for 15 years.

So now that my head gasket went, I’m doing a bunch of new stuff, new updated 7 mm head,new stock rockers and stands, HAMILTON beehive springs, Hamilton pushrods, Hamilton camshaft, tappets, Dynamite injectors (not sure which ones yet), ATI dampener, ARP connecting rod bolts and head studs, FASs titanium series lift pump and filter, and bottom sump kit, BE rotary pump fuel pin and 3200 rpm spring, Banks intercooler, bigger waste gate and turbo charger, and want to run tunnel ram intake (not sure if it’s going to be single or dual yet), BD 3 pc pulse exhaust manifold.

If I am not seeing damage to the gears, would that pin have ended up in the oil pan? Would think the piece that spun around could have been getting ground on by the gears, but don’t see anything as of yet. Maybe it shot out when the case broke? Gonna drop the pan tomorrow so I’ll check in there. Strange scenario but I think I got damned lucky. Fix your KDP!

The following users liked this post:
edwinsmith (01-07-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 11:35 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
I would bet your dowel pin is laying in your oil pan somewhere. I think I have seen just as many pins in an oil pan as I have found working loose.
mknittle (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 12:49 AM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
It definitely fell out and popped your case. May of come out in a oil change unnoticed or is still in the pan waiting to be discovered.

Let us know
mknittle (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 08:29 AM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by OVERTORQUED
Wanted to share my KDP experience... now I think this pic shows where the pin was supposed to be.

KDP supposed to be here?

This pic shows where I repaired case years ago because of major oil leak. Didn’t know anything about KDP back then. Couldn’t figure out why case was broken and piece was spun around on bolt.

Broken cover

Wasn’t going to buy new cover/case, so just JB welded that sucker and it was fine for 15 years.

So now that my head gasket went, I’m doing a bunch of new stuff, new updated 7 mm head,new stock rockers and stands, HAMILTON beehive springs, Hamilton pushrods, Hamilton camshaft, tappets, Dynamite injectors (not sure which ones yet), ATI dampener, ARP connecting rod bolts and head studs, FASs titanium series lift pump and filter, and bottom sump kit, BE rotary pump fuel pin and 3200 rpm spring, Banks intercooler, bigger waste gate and turbo charger, and want to run tunnel ram intake (not sure if it’s going to be single or dual yet), BD 3 pc pulse exhaust manifold.

If I am not seeing damage to the gears, would that pin have ended up in the oil pan? Would think the piece that spun around could have been getting ground on by the gears, but don’t see anything as of yet. Maybe it shot out when the case broke? Gonna drop the pan tomorrow so I’ll check in there. Strange scenario but I think I got damned lucky. Fix your KDP!

Didn’t know banks still had a intercooler available
Old 01-07-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Magnetic drain plug would have found it.

Great save with that JB weld. Never thought that stuff would last that long.
The following 3 users liked this post by NJTman:
edwinsmith (01-07-2018), thrashingcows (01-07-2018), torquefan (03-17-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by cabtruck
Didn’t know banks still had a intercooler available
I don’t know if they do- it was kit I purchased previously.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Magnetic drain plug would have found it.

Great save with that JB weld. Never thought that stuff would last that long.
I know right? Some people swear by it. I know there been a few oil changes and I do have a magnetic plug, but don’t ever remember seeing it. I’ll let you all know what I find.
edwinsmith (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 08:49 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Y'all are scaring me. I've known about this but never got around to it. Ages ago, a year or so after buying the brick I was parked in a lot getting my bearings on direction to go when I suddenly heard this jack-hammer like sound. I shut her off and popped the hood and looked around, got in and started er up and all was as quiet as a Cummins could be at idle. I've wondered if she was passing that pin! I've also wondered why Cummins wouldn't be on the hook for any carnage.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by bigredbrick
I've also wondered why Cummins wouldn't be on the hook for any carnage.
Cummins did in fact acknowledge the problem and even manufactured a tab for effecting the KDP repair on a Second Gen engine. A scanned copy of the Technical Service Bulletin covering this issue is attached below.

I suspect Cummins covered the repair costs if they showed up within a certain number of years after purchase but we owners are now on our own. I'm told there are hundreds of thousands of 6BT engines affected by this (i.e., not limited to Dodge trucks only) so the cost of a recall and repair would have been prohibitive.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB_030003_Cummins (KDP).pdf (75.8 KB, 92 views)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
I need to tell a JB weld story, I bought an old tractor sitting in a fience row, I knew it needed alot of work and parts were not available.

The intake valve was open on one cylinder and it was full of crap, it was pitted so bad I would have needed to scrap the tractor as a motor was imposible to find.

I cleaned it up and blasted it with glass beads then using a bondo knife spread JB into the pits, ran a rock hone in it and put it together, still runs great 15 years later, and also my valves are holding up, I ran a bead aroubnd the seat with a stainless rod then ground a new seat, so far it all works as good as new, the old tractor even has 12hp more than it should have.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
I need to tell a JB weld story, I bought an old tractor sitting in a fience row, I knew it needed alot of work and parts were not available.

The intake valve was open on one cylinder and it was full of crap, it was pitted so bad I would have needed to scrap the tractor as a motor was imposible to find.

I cleaned it up and blasted it with glass beads then using a bondo knife spread JB into the pits, ran a rock hone in it and put it together, still runs great 15 years later, and also my valves are holding up, I ran a bead aroubnd the seat with a stainless rod then ground a new seat, so far it all works as good as new, the old tractor even has 12hp more than it should have.
You used JB-weld on the piston? If that's true then WOW!
2mtrucks (03-17-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 08:19 AM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
Not on the piston, but the cylinder walls.

the tractor is a 900 RPM full load 2 cylinder.

My wife had an uncle that had a charter fishing boat in Bradington FL and " he said " that he burned a hole in a piston out in the gulf, as his story goes he pulled the head and cleaned up the hole and JB welded a quarter on the hole and ran it real easy and made it back to land.

I don't know how much spirits were involved when comming up with that but he told it as the truth.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:34 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Not on the piston, but the cylinder walls.

the tractor is a 900 RPM full load 2 cylinder.

My wife had an uncle that had a charter fishing boat in Bradington FL and " he said " that he burned a hole in a piston out in the gulf, as his story goes he pulled the head and cleaned up the hole and JB welded a quarter on the hole and ran it real easy and made it back to land.

I don't know how much spirits were involved when comming up with that but he told it as the truth.
I'm truly astounded!
Old 01-11-2018, 10:50 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
I’m a big fan of using two part epoxy mixes. The key to the success of the mixture holding is in the prep work to the product being fixed, along with properly mixing the two components thoroughly. For years I tried using that epoxy putty, the kind that looks like a sausage and the inner core is one component and the outer core is the other, but every time I’ve had bad luck with those types. Truly the best is the liquid types of epoxies.

For items needing to hold water or air pressure, my go to is Mr Sticky. I’ve found that Mr Sticky is the only one that has worked in fixing the cracks we all get on our first gen front grilles, on that top mounting flange.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:02 PM

That’s awesome! Seems like if it’s done right, it’ll work. I’m a believer.

Quick Reply: KDP investigation...