1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Irma is coming!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 07:35 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Don't want to hear that something catastrophic happened to you, AJ, or worse yet, that you've ended up on the wrong/bad side of the dirt when that thing does hit and passes on
Old 09-07-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
AJ looks like you're going to be in the thick of it if you're only 15 miles inland. Unless you've got lots of supplies and a very solid shelter you might want to get out of Dodge (pun intended) while the gittin's good. Either way our thoughts are with you.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:33 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Thanks guys. The problem is leaving now is not really an option. There are only 2 roads out of here, I95 and I75. Going north isn't going to help, we would need to go west which means I10 becomes the parking lot. Traffic is horrendous, fuel supplies low or exhausted, no rooms and getting back after the storm isn't going to be any easier. We are boarding up the windows tonight and I'm thinking of ways to fortify the garage door. As long as the roof stays on and no trees fall on the house we should be OK. Appreciate all the well wishes and prayers guys. It's going to be a rough ride.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:19 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
Thanks guys. The problem is leaving now is not really an option. There are only 2 roads out of here, I95 and I75. Going north isn't going to help, we would need to go west which means I10 becomes the parking lot. Traffic is horrendous, fuel supplies low or exhausted, no rooms and getting back after the storm isn't going to be any easier. We are boarding up the windows tonight and I'm thinking of ways to fortify the garage door. As long as the roof stays on and no trees fall on the house we should be OK. Appreciate all the well wishes and prayers guys. It's going to be a rough ride.
Please keep us posted
The following users liked this post:
1STGENFARMBOY (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Good luck over the next few days.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:28 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Don't make us come dig you out! you will go broke trying to feed us
The following users liked this post:
1STGENFARMBOY (09-08-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
I used to live in Tampa and we got flooded with even a moderate amount of rain. DO you have a lot of sandbags and a pump to keep the insides of your house dry.

We're praying for you.

Edwin
Old 09-08-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
If you need fuel in a pinch Jet A works well too.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:13 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
I have some friends in Deltona that are also staying,

be safe John, praying for you guys.

my friends are

Ron & Renee Jackson

grown sons

Chris Jackson
Ben Jackson
Old 09-09-2017, 03:45 AM

Thanks again guys. We have all the wood cut and drilled for the windows but I still have 7 windows left to cover. I bought four 8' lengths of 1x1 square aluminum and 2 6' lengths. I'm going to screw them across the garage door. Hopefully that will be enough support to keep it from blowing in. It looks like we are going to get hit by the worst side of the storm now, the north east quadrant. That is where the most tornados are formed.

They are predicting 9-12" of rain, we live on a fairly large ski lake that has been down for years now so the water isn't really a concern for me. We could probably take more than that.

It's been raining pretty steady since yesterday evening and as of right now (4:30am) it's still raining. I'm hoping for a little break at sunrise to finish getting the wood up.

We have food, water, beer (very important), some ice and continually making more, and about 30 gallons of gas for the generator. They are saying this could last 10-12 hours before it starts to clear and we can get the generator out and working so we will probably be without power for quite awhile. Farmboy I hope your friends are prepared. I see an awful lot of houses that aren't boarded up including my oldest son's home. His house is a concrete block made to newer hurricane standards so he should be ok unless something crashes a window.

Just filled the truck and the car is full of fuel so I guess we are set.
The following 2 users liked this post by Angry Johnny:
bigragu (09-09-2017), mknittle (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
You have a transfer switch to switch power from panel to generator rigged up, AJ?
Old 09-09-2017, 10:47 AM

I have a friend who lives in Ocala whom I spoke to yesterday. He doesn't believe there will be much wind or rain. I hope he's right. He has a generator and fuel and plenty of food and he's armed just in case though.

I'm praying for him too.

Edwin
Old 09-10-2017, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by bigragu
You have a transfer switch to switch power from panel to generator rigged up, AJ?
I did at the previous house but not here yet. We just used a couple heavy duty extension cords and a power strip when Matthew came through last year.

We are all buttoned up and ready as best as possible. Even managed to get some wood on my sons windows.

Edwin, they are forecasting 90 MPH winds around Ocala and it could last for up to 12 hours. The real concern is tornados being that most of the state will be in the north east quadrant of the storm. My girlfriends son is in Ocala too. He delivered some horses there and is just going to stay there rather than try and drive back.

Thanks guys, my best to all and I'll check back in when I can.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:00 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I did at the previous house but not here yet. We just used a couple heavy duty extension cords and a power strip when Matthew came through last year.

We are all buttoned up and ready as best as possible. Even managed to get some wood on my sons windows.

Edwin, they are forecasting 90 MPH winds around Ocala and it could last for up to 12 hours. The real concern is tornados being that most of the state will be in the north east quadrant of the storm. My girlfriends son is in Ocala too. He delivered some horses there and is just going to stay there rather than try and drive back.

Thanks guys, my best to all and I'll check back in when I can.
Weather channel just said tornadoes are forecast for Jupiter and west Palm beach. My bud better pay attention...

Keep safe, Angry.....
Old 09-10-2017, 04:04 PM

I just got an email from another friend in Clearwater. They decided to ride it out also. They're fine so far. He didn't give any other details.

The storm is down to cat 2 so hopefully it will weaken more before it gets up there.

Edwin

Quick Reply: Irma is coming!