Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   Irma is coming! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/irma-coming-328846/)

Angry Johnny 09-06-2017 07:44 AM

Irma is coming!

One of the benefits of owning an old 12 valve, I can probably still find diesel fuel when the gas runs out and all I need is a battery to get it running. [laugh]

This ain't my first rodeo with a hurricane having been here for 42 years but this one sure does look bad.

oliverbutthead 09-06-2017 08:21 AM

During a hurricane in Houston years ago when I lived there, couldn't get diesel either. Stopped at the grocery store and one of the only things left on the shelves--vegetable oil. Worked great and allowed me to get to work cutting trees etc.

If the temp got below 80 it would run a little rough due to gelling but for only a minute or so until the engine warmed up. Only ran a few tanks of it with no long lasting ill effects.

mknittle 09-06-2017 08:30 AM

Our prayers for a safe ride.

oliverbutthead 09-06-2017 08:30 AM

I think that gelling temp I remember being closer to around 65 or 70

bigragu 09-06-2017 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 3334417)

Ditto. Be safe, AJ, you and your friends and family.

Desert5600 09-06-2017 09:55 AM

My cousin lives on St. Martin, just east of Puerto Rico. The forecast winds for Cat 5 Irma's passage at the airport last night were 184 MPH. This morning, the airport wind reporting is offline.

This is a nasty storm, even if it drops to a Cat 3 during landfall in southern Florida. I would get out of Dodge with the Dodge.

thrashingcows 09-06-2017 02:47 PM

We just got back from our vacation in Florida 2 weeks ago, we were at Universal studios, then drove down to the keys for a week at a condo on the beach. This was one of my fears for going down there, I'm glad I made it back.....but for the residence of the areas affected by this/these hurricanes my best wishes go out to everyone.

Stay safe and be smart and hope fate, luck, karma and your chosen deity shines on you and keeps you safe! :)

MrFusion 09-06-2017 04:17 PM

Stay safe AJ.

NJTman 09-06-2017 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by mknittle (Post 3334417)

Amen. Buddy of mine has a house in key west, and lives in Jupiter. He's worried either way.

Let's wish for the best for our southern brothers

MrFusion 09-06-2017 09:04 PM

I have a cousin and her family in Miami planning to hunker down. Hurricane Andrew tore her roof off in '92. My brother lives in Orlando. He's out of town but his two dogs are there with friends of his. I'm pretty concerned about the Miami faction.

bigragu 09-06-2017 09:11 PM

Just got off he phone with my ex neighbors, who moved out there to Florida to retire 3 years ago. We're really close to them, and never realized they bough in to a beach front community. Anyway, they are secure and safe, as they saw this coming and are at a hotel many miles inland.

Angry Johnny 09-07-2017 05:31 AM

Thanks for all the well wishes guys. Looks like it's going to stay off the east coast. A better scenario then previously anticipated but could still be bad. We are about 15 miles from the east coast due west from New Smyrna Beach. Going to board up and ride it out for now.

Desert5600 09-07-2017 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Angry Johnny (Post 3334529)
Thanks for all the well wishes guys. Looks like it's going to stay off the east coast. A better scenario then previously anticipated but could still be bad. We are about 15 miles from the east coast due west from New Smyrna Beach. Going to board up and ride it out for now.

The eye itself is 30 miles across, while the storm is 500 miles across with major radar echoes 400 miles across. If it stays just off the coast with the eye over the water it will maintain intensity.

Downtown Houston is 50 miles from the Gulf coast.

Just so you know...

Angry Johnny 09-07-2017 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Desert5600 (Post 3334532)
The eye itself is 30 miles across, while the storm is 500 miles across with major radar echoes 400 miles across. If it stays just off the coast with the eye over the water it will maintain intensity.

Downtown Houston is 50 miles from the Gulf coast.

Just so you know...

Thanks. We know it's still going to be bad. 100+ MPH winds expected. We will see what happens.

Lary Ellis (Top) 09-07-2017 07:14 PM

AJ....might want to give it another think regarding riding it out. That thing is the perfect storm and I got a feeling it is not going to go easy on you guys. Whatever you do Prayers sent your way.