1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Inspection time

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inspection time

im trying to get my truck inspected here in Texas and they say that i have to put a catalytic converter and muffler on it! i got it inspected last year without any of that. whats the deal? I thought that this was just for mainly on newer models round 2000? is that like in other states too? or is this inspection place just screwing me over?
thanks
Jared
Old 05-08-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Something is wrong, they never had cats on them. Check your dmv/dot website about mufflers. In AZ, turbochargers count as a muffling device on diesels...hehe no mufflers needed.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
That's right, no 1st gen came with a cat. You may have to add a muffler, but they can't make you install a cat.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:52 PM

ya see thats what i was saying! i know for a fact there was not cats on these trucks only a muffler. see i took it to another shop and they inspected it right away. and i also had exhaust coming out of my blow by tub and they told me that there was a certain way that the tube was supposed to be hooked up but i havent ever messed with it. i tried looking it up and never found anything saying that i had to have a cat on my truck. i know the newer trucks do.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I now know I won't pass though Texas, all of us will have our trucks impounded. LOL. There was probaly some pumk kid looking for junk under your truck that isn't needed, or supposed to be there. The oil line is a "road draft tube" you/we have an open oiling system. And a cat/edit? please that is for the egr and electronic trucks. I vote you need to go back on a day that some one over 18 is working at the emissions(spelling?) station. Good luck, P.S. you can always get a P.O. box here in AZ
Old 05-09-2008, 12:50 AM

Just my 2 cents. I went through emission in my 92 a couple weeks ago here in TN fuel pump turned up and straight pipe exhaust. I passed while an old man in a nearly new small import car which probably had 4 cats and 9 o2 sensors failed miserably. Keep in mind Diesel always burns cleaner than gas, everyone thinks its durty because what it puts off is black. To tell the truth what our trucks push out thier pipes is alot more natural than grannys 08 Hyundai does. I say run that sucker through with out spendin a dime. See what happens and most places in the "RARE" chance u fail and i mean unheard of they should let u retest for free. The guy at the local station here told me hes never seen older diesels like ours fail. The only ones he's seen fail are like the 01' and newer or abouts in there with all the extra emmissions crap on the new ones theres so much to go wrong. Giver her he!! good luck.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:53 AM

In fact i dunno if your model is going to have it but my 92 has the factory barcode in the door jamb he just scans that and it tells him that theres no kitty cat hidin' under my truck. All together man i was maybe there 4 minutes from pull in to pull out. Wham Bam Smoked ya Man!!!! Zeros baby
Old 05-09-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no i work @ an inspection place u have to have good brakes, horn, all blinkers brights and brake lights with no cracks good wipers, tires, tint over 20% and not pass the as1 line on the windshield, and seatbelts, diesels in tx have no emmissions! period!
Old 05-09-2008, 12:21 PM

When I got mine done last month, they checked the horn, all blinkers, bright lights and brake lights, and wipers. He didn't check my tint(5%) or tires, the back tires were about 99% gone, but was already getting new ones.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:54 PM

I got failed twice last year for no muffler, just how the place reads the rules depends if they pass you. Mines been out for 2 months now so I oughta go try my luck. Luckily I know a place that will pass me if I have all the safety stuff.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:51 PM

Find a smaller town with a shop that does inspections. Most of those folks aren't as strict as places in larger cities. Heck, I got mine inspected two months ago and they did not even look at the truck, just scrapped the sticker off and put a new one on....
Old 05-13-2008, 02:16 PM

ya see i thats y i don't understand why they wouldn't inpsect my truck. well i took it to sum little shop on the other side of San Antonio that one of my youngers brothers said theyll inspect it w/ no problems. So now its inspected! that other inspection shop can shove it up their edit!
Old 05-13-2008, 05:27 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
In Maine by law you can not make truck any louder than factory. I used to have my inspection licence and you would be 3 hours inspecting a truck if you checked everything you are supposed to. Commercial trucks are even worse. I had a buddy once that failed because he had to many dents. I laughed so hard. Every panel was caved in.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:55 PM

richie o, is that the way it really is? lol thats bad. just for 2 many dents. thats really dumb.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:27 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thats what the garage said. We were young and are cars were questionable anyways. It was so funny. A garage can fail you for stupid things if they want to. Maybee to drum up buisness. A common one is wiper blades. They say your blades are bad and they just happen to have a set. Idiot lights must work. The big thing now is brake lines. We have alot of brake line failers due to road salt during winter. I will say that If they get caught inspecting a car that really should not pass they will lose there license. The state police handle oversight of stations and they have no sense of humor. We once took the same car to a drag strip and he failed tech due to having 2 lug nuts on each wheel. No Kidding. I am suprised we are still alive.

Quick Reply: Inspection time