1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Which injectors make sense if any for my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which injectors make sense if any for my truck?

Now that I've become accustomed to the power that my truck makes in it's mildly bombed state, I'd like more ;D I drive my truck a lot empty, both over the road and commuting in chicago traffic to work. I don't want to comprimise my everyday mileage, and so far all the bombing has done nothing but raise mpg, so I've been happy.<br><br>People seem to complain that the POD's haze all the time, and billow when u get on them, I'm not sure I want that. Or, is there anyone who's managed to add enough air back in to clean the POD's up?<br><br>What other options are there?
Old 05-28-2003, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Which injectors make sense if any for my truck?

I am running the POD's and have had NO problems what so ever with haze at idle. Now, they will fog a road pretty quick when getting on it, but as far as haze goes, there is none. I have heard that Diesel Dynamics makes a good injector for the 1st gen, also, dont forget about the PowerWagons. I have had no experience with the last two mentioned so hopefully someone can chime in.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:08 PM
AlK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been running with the PW's for about three years and have had no problems and I am quite happy with them. They apparently smoke less than the POD's, but then they do not produce as much power. Had I known about them when I installed the PW's I probably would have gone with the POD's.<br>---<br>Al
Old 05-28-2003, 01:37 PM

looking around I see advertisements for a Bosch injector, with no fancy name, what are these? The specs on them show basically the same power increase of the POD's.<br><br>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2417173717
Old 05-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Look like the Bosch 185's aka Power Wagon Injectors. If so, those numbers are not correct.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:20 PM

I was wondering if those weren't the PW's, you're right about the #'s, they should be more like 1/2 the power of the POD's, right?
Old 05-28-2003, 05:01 PM
Administrator

I believe the 185's are rated at 30 or 40 rwhp. The POD's are 60rwhp and 100ft lbs.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:04 PM

I have watched this guys auctions for a while and those are not the POD's. When he puts POD's on there they generally have a Buy It Now price of much less than I have been quoted anywhere else. I do plan on buying my POD's from him this summer. Bill
Old 05-29-2003, 12:33 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

I've run both sets in my truck with equivalent pump settings.
The 185's are a nice step up in performance, they offer a good compromise on HP/drivability/mileage/smoke.
ANY injector can be made to smoke, ANY... right Monty??

The advantages of changing injectors are numerous. You will ease the work load on the injection pump, you will certainly have improved performance results if the pump settings are left the same or even eased a bit (that's how you lighten the work load on the pump), better overall throttle response, easier to reach you preferred highway speed.
Higher EGT's is also a byproduct no matter which nozzle you install.
The POD's will give you an honest 50-60 hp depending on your pump settings. Remember that increase is not 50-60 OVER the 185's, it's 50-60 more than a stock nozzle in the same fueling/timing settings.
You can ease back on the POD's and pretty much eliminate the haze, but there will be some. Each truck has it's own personality and likes/dislikes.

Around town I'd run the 185's with a bit of pump fiddling (including some timing work). You can moderate the pump wear fairly well with those injectors.... now if you want to make the traffic go away, or have your very own 'cloaking device' use the POD's with lots of fuel and not even the darn Klingons will see you coming.... ;D ;D

Bob ~ supporting the shops that help 1st Gennners...
Old 05-29-2003, 09:02 AM

well, my pump right now is on the typical 10-15% bump that any diesel shop will do for you. It was advanced 2-3* from where it was, but I don't really know _what_ it's at right now. I rarely get any smoke, only if i bog it in 3rd or 4th really, and get 22psi right now, so I'm figuring I've got plenty of air right now and could use some more fuel. I want the truck to last forever, so that's why I haven't just turned the pump up more. $375 for POD's that give that much of a kick in the pants and help save the pump (if i back it down) sounds like a better deal than just cranking the pump to the hilt.<br><br>I've also noticed that guy sells POD's for $375, and no one else does. What's the deal there?<br><br>Do the POD's effect mpg once you get used to them and don't hit the pedal so hard?<br><br>Some months back someone bought a set of $800 injectors that supposedly had all the power and none of the smoke of the POD's, any1 remember what those were?
Old 05-29-2003, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Bob, you are right. Any injector can smoke. It just depends on what your pump settings are. My stock injectors would smoke like crazy with the smoke screw all the way down...star wheel set 15 clicks from bottom and the eccentric at its deepest setting. In fact, more than what the Lucas injectors do now.<br><br>Furious, every now and then Piers has the POD's on sell. Piers matches them to close tolerances before he ships them out and backs them up 100%.<br><br>IMO..if a guy is going to lie to the public (ebay seller in question), why would you want your money to go his way to support the cause?
Old 05-29-2003, 11:29 AM

well, I don't know that guy from Adam, so I have no idea if he's lying about the power of those injectors or is just misinformed? Has anyone ever talked to him? I don't like supporting liars, but I don't like spending $100 more than I need to either.

I should also note that I rarely see EGT's over 900* pre turbo, even up 6% grades with the usual 6000-8000lbs I pull, so I've got a lot of room to work in that regard.
Old 05-29-2003, 03:38 PM
Chapter President

I would rather pay more money from Piers than buy from some unknown. My brother got a set of POD's from Piers and they were bad. My brother was treated right and had no problem getting another set.<br><br>Paul
Old 05-29-2003, 07:05 PM

My PODs haze like mad. Bad enough I can't run the heater when the wind blowing right and I can pretty much ruin someones day if they are parked next to me when I start up. Simply amazing how fast a Passat will fill with smoke. <br><br>Currently the smoke screw backed out to neutral, my fuel screw is still at the stock setting, the AFC set to come on at 5-6psi and the timing at 1.5mm. I always get smoke when accelerating no matter how hard period. <br><br>Now I don't disslike the PODs but the hazing annoys me and I cringe while sitting at a stop light watching the whisps of smoke float by. The bright side is it can get up and go like a cat on fire when I want to and it is such a joy to drive on the highway now. Its hard to complain about that ;D<br><br>hdm48 has a set of DD3s and Bob B. is putting in a set here soon. If he has good results as well(more power- less smoke) I'll probably spend the $$$ on a set.<br><br>Jay<br><br>
Old 05-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Jay, just curious, what washers are you running with your set? Like I said before I have had no haze at idle problems with the set that came on the injectors from Piers.

Quick Reply: Which injectors make sense if any for my truck?