1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Im new to this so help if you can...mechanical woman with question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im new to this so help if you can...mechanical woman with question

I have a 93 Dodge Diesel that when driving it it will all the sudden lose some of its power and the speed odometor will also quit. I can put it in neutral and turn it off and turn it back on then all is fine till who knows when. Now its doing it more often...Its driving me crazy...anyone have an idea??? Please, if you can I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You, dazindolly
Old 06-22-2010, 09:28 PM

Please fill out you signature so we know some more about your truck when you get time. I would check the wires on the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) it is located on the tail shaft or rear of the transfercase if it is 4WD. Make sure the connection is clean and maybe use a little dielectric grease on the connection. I had a similar problem and the dielectric grease fixed it right up.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:36 PM

its a 93 dodge diesel 3/4 t automatic
Old 06-22-2010, 09:42 PM

Sounding like an ignition switch on it's way out to me. I had mine doing that. I ran a jumper wire with alligator clips on the end from my + terminal on my battery to my Fuel Shut Off Solenoid (FSS) on the back of the injection pump. The rest of my trip home I saw my gauges going from on to off, and my GPS hooked into my cigarette lighter kept coming on and off too.

If ALL the gauges are screwing up, and your 12v cigarette lighter is going off too, I'd definately say ignition switch. $60 at Napa and a light, clean afternoon wrenching in the cab. You'll need "tamper proof" torx bit wrenches or drivers. I got an entire set for $15 from a cheap tool store that carries companies such as ITT or Cal Hawk. They are normal torx wrenches with a hole in the middle of them.

Napa's part number was wrong for me in my 93 with a tilt wheel. They had it listed for 94+, but it was right for me. The top of my head says the p/n was KS6557?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:56 PM

GEEEZZZZZ, Thats the one thing I don't like doin...All the pully things...lol any other ideas? I'll definitely check that out. If it didn't have a tough reliability I wouldn't have it but they are the best pulling and great mileage too. Thank you.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My shutdown problem was caused by the main power wire going into the ign switch - after the previous owner botched installing the switch he had broken the metal retainer on the crimp on end that fits into the switch plug. had to pull the column covers off and temp fix the wire until I can get it fixed correctly.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:02 PM

Don't get too intimidated! Just 3 screws on the bottom of the steering column to take the trim off. Then you will see the key plugged right into the switch. There are 2 sets of wire connections that simply plug in (one is for all the ignition stuff, and one is for the key light ring). I believe 2 or 3 tamperproof torx screws later, rotate the key to the LOCK position (this will be in the instructions with the switch) and it will pull right out. Very easy.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:14 PM

Thank you all I will do some checking on all this tomorrow, I will let you know what gives, Thanks again
Old 06-23-2010, 05:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey-Hey!!!,
I can't believe nobody bit on the 'mechanical woman' thing...guess we've actually got some restraint afterall...

I'd be tempted to clip-lead the fuel shut-off for a little while and see if it still misbehaves. If it is indeed the switch interrupting power and effectively turning the engine 'off' this should fix it and let you know what you're going to have to replace to return it to normal service.
cheers,
Douglas
Old 06-23-2010, 06:23 AM

The first thing I would do is replace the terminal ends on the fuel shut off soleniod - located on the back of the injection pump. Replace them with ring terminals. Check the stickies for pics and instructions.

Bob
Old 06-23-2010, 02:06 PM

Check the ground wire by the battery first thing.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
How fast are you going when the speedo quits and you lose power?

I'm thinking there's a VSS problem and you are dropping out of OD.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
How fast are you going when the speedo quits and you lose power?

I'm thinking there's a VSS problem and you are dropping out of OD.
Thats what I am thinking its dropping O/D and slowing down but the engine revs like crazy...

She didnt say the truck shuts off..
Old 06-26-2010, 05:10 PM

93 dodge diesel

to tlrman, and wannadiesel, my dodge loses power and the speedometer when going around 50 an up. The engine seems to lose the od and when i put it in neutral and turn it off then restart it is fine till it does it again, never know when it will do this
Old 06-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You have a VSS problem. It could be a bad connection or the VSS drive could be stripped. Is this a 2wd or a 4x4?

Quick Reply: Im new to this so help if you can...mechanical woman with question