1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

"I'm Back"

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:47 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
"I'm Back"

and a little disappointed. We had a good time at the Clairmont Vol. FD Dyno run and I wasn't the only first gen there. However I only hit 261 hp and about 550 torque. That was running a little meth and h2o. That was not much improvement over the runs I did two years ago. I was really hoping for 300 hp and 600 ft/pounds but I missed the mark. I have the timing advanced too the max with out remachining the pump flange, the fuel screw is bottomed out but it is the short screw. I'm blistering the exhaust at 1600 degrees and pumping out a steady haze of dark gray smoke after the first beltch of black unburned hydrocarbons. Boost is hitting 38 to 40 pounds through the stock manifold and the HTT stage four turbo mods. Fuel pump pressure after the filter stays above seven pounds at full throttle. I guess a longer fuel screw is needed but after that...........?

On a personal note:
I just had my prostate froze to kill the cancer that had taken residence within. If anyone here is over fifty and hasn't done so please get examined and have the doctor run a PSA blood test. My cancer was caught early and should be gone now. I'll know more in six months after I get a follow up PSA test. If you have any questions please ask me via PM. It is only curable if it is detected early.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WB Boat..... good news on the medical stuff, glad to hear yer alright...
Old 09-29-2010, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sorry that the dyno numbers were a disappointment to you but I am glad you are healthy again.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:55 PM

s300 or twins!! ???
Old 09-29-2010, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Boatnik
... If anyone here is over fifty and hasn't done so please get examined and have the doctor run a PSA blood test.
As a over 52 y.o. Registered Nurse I heartily endorse this. Also please get a colonoscopy if you are in that age group.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
WB....Glad to hear they got it soon, I was running this place out of a hospital bed a few months back myself, but got the prostate fixed in time.

Prayers sent from WV
Old 09-30-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by dieseldawg604
s300 or twins!! ???
According to HTT the stage four mod to the H1C should support 400 hp. I guess the only way that will happen is with a much better flowing exhaust manifold and some extensive mods to the intake side like a bigger cooler and piping. Even then I doubt that the claims are true. At thirty eight pounds of boost the pressure gauge is bouncing pretty hard. That tells me the turbo is running off of the design curve a bit. If I could get a s300 at a descent price I probably would go that route instead of twins. But the first thing I want to do is replace the exhaust manifold. At 36 psi boost I saw 52 psi drive pressure. I would like to get those numbers a little closer together.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:01 PM

good to hear you are healthy again!

but sorry to say, I don't think any exhaust manifold is going to bump you to 400hp. The smallest restriction in your exhaust right now is the 60mm exhaust wheel. get a 65mm exhaust wheel with the stock housing and I guaranty that your drive pressure will be lots lower, and as a result your EGT's will be lower!
Old 09-30-2010, 02:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
I am sorry that the dyno numbers were a disappointment to you but I am glad you are healthy again.

x2
Old 09-30-2010, 04:07 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by apwatson50
good to hear you are healthy again!
Ditto !!

The smallest restriction in your exhaust right now is the 60mm exhaust wheel. get a 65mm exhaust wheel with the stock housing and I guaranty that your drive pressure will be lots lower, and as a result your EGT's will be lower!

Please excuse my dumbness, but does this reasoning also apply to my un-molested stock turbo ??

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:18 PM

hope the second test comes back clean :-D
Old 09-30-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
Ditto !!
Please excuse my dumbness, but does this reasoning also apply to my un-molested stock turbo ??

Thanks.

To answer your question YES, to a certain degree.

If you want to use more than say ~20lbs of manifold pressure while towing, it has been my experience that the stock turbo is the limit due to drive pressure. If you have ~40lbs of drive pressure, but are only making ~30lbs of manifold pressure, then you have 10lbs of pressure going the wrong way, keeping fresh cool air from entering the cylinders!

Since i went to the HX40, over the hybrid hx35, which with the "upgraded" compressor wheel is approximately the same as the HX40 wheel. The only difference then is the exhaust wheel and housing size, I haven't seen over 1200deg exhaust temp while towing. And using ~30lbs manifold pressure. So that gave me 10 more lbs of usable manifold pressure while towing.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Its good to have you back, Sonny.

That is pretty disappointing performance. I think more timing would help a lot, time to jump a tooth.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Its good to have you back, Sonny.

That is pretty disappointing performance. I think more timing would help a lot, time to jump a tooth.
I haven't killed the KDP yet so, I might try that. I actually thought about pulling the IP and elongating the slots on the flange and bracket. There is a little room left before I hit the head.

I still need to get a free flowing exhaust manifold and I am still leaning towards the HX40. It will be a while before I can do anything. I sold the boat and am sitting on the money waiting for the medical bills to start rolling in after they milk my insurance. My long term plans include an intercooler from a f350 superduty, a HX40 or something similar, the exhaust manifold and a longer fuel screw. Once I get all the parts I will dive into it possibly this winter after hunting season.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:26 AM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
I just skipped a tooth and did the kdp and the process is very straightforward. If you do the oil seal correctly it's a very smooth process. The hardest part for me was the bottom radiator hose haha

Quick Reply: "I'm Back"