1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ignition Halo Lamp Time Delay Relay location?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Halo Lamp Time Delay Relay location?

I don't want to sound silly, especially since so many people are looking for serious solutions to critical problems, but I have a question. My 1992 Dodge Pick-Up has a Halo-lamp around the ignition switch. The lamp was burned out so I replaced it -no fix. It seems the Time Delay Relay is fried. The problem is that I can't find it (relay)anywhere under the dash. My 1992 Shadow had the same thing go wrong, and I could never find that one either. Niether have it in the fuse-box, or a plug for it. The Dealer did not know either. I'm guessing maybe in the kick-panels? I'm hoping the glare from the light will distract my dates' attention from the rust hole in the floor.

Thanks/Steve
Old 07-14-2007, 05:45 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unde the dash, near the steering colum should be a silver cylindrical unit about an inch long and 3/4 inches round hanging loose on a wire connector, thats it....if its missing, there'll just be a small connector hanging there... I'd have to go out and crawl under the dash to see what color the wiring is..
Old 07-14-2007, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Unde the dash, near the steering colum should be a silver cylindrical unit about an inch long and 3/4 inches round hanging loose on a wire connector, thats it....if its missing, there'll just be a small connector hanging there... I'd have to go out and crawl under the dash to see what color the wiring is..
Ditto... mines hung to the left side of the column, behind the light switch & above the e-brake. Figured it out one afternoon when the door was and my hand brushed it... gets hotter than you'd think it would!
Old 07-14-2007, 10:35 AM

My halo light was not connected to anything under the dash. there was a bulge in the wiring harness so I cut into it, and I found a three wire connecter. I saw that the hot wire for the halo light was yellow with a red tracer. Does the time delay relay plug into this? I only ran a wire from an interior light (radio) to the connecter so that the light works only when the radio light is on.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The halo ring is only functional in trucks with the Super LE package or the light group option package. If your truck does not have a cargo light above the rear window, you don't have the light group installed.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:38 PM

I may not have that connection. My truck is a special one(like special ed). It is a Factory Utility (ex) truck. It has lots of cool little toys and gizmos; Revolving roof flasher, A-Pillar spor light, It had a big edit cable to a Power inverter behind the seat(removed) with its own fusebox. It had a heavy wire to a Motorola Radio(removed), and a seperate gizmo hooked to the trans Speed sensor to operate a distance counter for highway cone placement(Nu-metrics, Inc. "Roadstar")(removed). It came with a 3 door Astro-Top, and NO utility bed-lamp or high-mounted 3rd brake lamp. No light group, except the J.C. Whitney-type map lights on the ceiling.

When I was under the dash, I saw a 2 pin connector hooked to the hood release *** assembly, What is that for? -it already has a OBD connector under the hood.
Also, is there a light bulb in the light switch behind the word that says "lights"? -it looks like theres a bulb feed wire going in the side.

Thanks.