1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I need some quick answers on cab wires!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some quick answers on cab wires!

My factory harness had some splices in it when I got the truck, plus some frayed/half-melted wires, plus I've had it in in and out of the truck twice... and am now trying to get it all hooked back up.

1. How the heck do the dome light switches (in the door jamb) work? They were slightly melted on one side, and I know I've got good switches, but I think I must be hooking them up wrong. Is it like 12v into one side, then that one goes across to the other side, then to the light? Wire locations and colors would be very helpful.

2. My cargo light switch is MIA - which plug coming from the back of the cab belongs to the light? I can just put in my own switch.

3. The harness for the left speaker is also MIA. I assume one of the tons of plugs hanging under my dash is where it was supposed to go, but no idea which one.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2010, 02:33 AM

I'll see if I can help you out.
1. The switches work by grounding the circuit, all they are is a spring loaded plunger that, when not pushed in by the door, spring out and ground against the body. I circled them in yellow in one of the pictures and the wires that go to them are also yellow (or so the FSM says), and you are right in that the wires go from one to the other one and then through the headlight switch and to the light.
2. I circled that plug in red.
3. I got the page with all the speaker plugs on it but the plug that they show is not like the ones in my truck, As far as I can remember. It seems like mine were more sqare than rounded. The wires should be Dark Green and Brown with a Red tracer.
scan0001.jpg?t=1276586981
scan0002.jpg?t=1276587038
scan0003.jpg?t=1276587038
Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On our 93 there was a plug under the dash that was labeled cargo light because our truck wasn't equipped with it.......it was taped up to the main wiring under the dash, if your truck came factory with rear speakers than there should be a green plug hanging down over the clutch pedal. If not, it's tucked up behind the ac duct behind
the gauge cluster, this is
for
rear speaker wiring
Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the help! I got the speakers hooked up although they sound really terrible, they're not good speakers but they should still sound better than they do, so I'm thinking I must have hooked something up wrong - will it do that if ground and 12v are reversed? The deck is grounded to that braided steel strap under the dash.

The problem with my dome light is that it works all the time - whether the doors are open or the headlight switch is rotated all the way or the key is in the ignition. As far as I can tell the wires are all hooked up correctly and I guess I'm PRETTY sure the door switches are good, but I've tried a couple of other used ones and it's still always on.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The door switches ground themselves if memory serve me right. There should be 2 wires. One is grounded, the other to ???. Open door and you hav it grounded and light. Pushed in and closed, the circuit is open and no grounding occurs.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:48 PM

If your dome light is on all the time, it's the headlight switch that's bad. Just replace it and the dome light should work fine.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:06 PM

So turning the **** on the headlight switch that far grounds the dome light circuit through the switch somehow... not sure how I could get around that so I'll just have to find another HL switch.