1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

i might man up and buy a dual disk south bend...questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 03:07 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i might man up and buy a dual disk south bend...questions

but first i want to see who likes theirs... i think ZSkibo has one. anyone else have an opinion?

and what does this mean? "5 speed Requires ISK 7.375 Input Shaft Kit"... it says that on the websites. i dont want to buy something then need to buy something else too.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:33 PM

or should i look for the 450hp single disk?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
alwaysworking, CaptainChrysler , both have DD clutches, I think Zak is just running a stocker
Old 06-27-2010, 07:54 PM

id like some input on them. thanks for the info "kiddo" lol jk.

i dont mind the noise from a rattling mid plate. my truck is so loud now that id never notice it. i just paid off the visa from the turbo so now i can throw myself in more debt again...YAY
Old 06-27-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i haven't seen either around much, just search them on the members list and PM them is the best thing to do.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they are nice clutchs have installed several of them i think they are redesining the floater plate for less noise so new ones will be even better my 2 cents
Old 06-27-2010, 08:08 PM

have you installed any in a 1st gen? i ask because i wonder about being a straight bolt up or do you need to modify things the same way you would if it was a kit solely for a nv4500.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The '89 has a 3600# solid hub DD, it is smoother than the single disc Valair deal you were asking about. It was a direct bolt in. We did put a stainless clutch line on it. According to SBC some may require a little grinding to clear the bellhousing, and possibly a little tweaking of the clutch fork for clearance. They will give you all the details. Just tell them it is a 1-1/4" input.

Here is some pics of it: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...9-t244755.html

We also put one in for a friend, it is in his farm truck ('01 6spd.) It has spring hubs and is very smooth. It was a 3200# pressure plate, would possibly be the last clutch you have to buy if you don't get too crazy. If you watch you can pick one up new for around $1000, that's not too much more than a single really. They do rattle when disengaged, but that's a good reminder to not do it very long.

Name:  sc3.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  95.7 KB

Name:  sc2.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  sc1.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  52.3 KB
Old 06-27-2010, 09:21 PM

ok, youre my new best friend. here are some more questions for you since you've done it---

is there a starter spacer needed for the 1st gen?
does it come with a new throw out and pilot bearing?
where did you get the new stainless line, and is it hard to change?
is it ok to let it rattle if its fully disengaged and idling?

thanks!
Old 06-27-2010, 09:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JBradley500
ok, youre my new best friend. here are some more questions for you since you've done it---

is there a starter spacer needed for the 1st gen?
Yes, ours included a spacer and bolts.
does it come with a new throw out and pilot bearing?
Yes.
where did you get the new stainless line, and is it hard to change?
See link.
is it ok to let it rattle if its fully disengaged and idling?
Probably no different than a regular clutch, it is just good practice to not hold the clutch in for long periods.
thanks!
SBC might be able to help you with a "bolt-in" clutch line.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:42 PM

ok cool thanks for all the help. looks like ill be calling them up pretty soon and getting it on order.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:11 PM

ok i ordered the sbc ofe single disk. i talked to peter and he said dual disk would be way overkill since i dont haul or truck pull so im ok with that. its 450hp/900ft lb one so i should be good for a while unless i forget how to drive a stick. it should be here tomorrow and im officially broke as a joke again.

thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
i have the single disc con OFE in mine. it'll probably be a little grabby for you at first. i think i had let my pedal coordination slip a bit before i bought the SB clutch which is probably why i thought the stocker was bad from the shuddering i was getting accelerating from a stop. i probably didn't need the new one but it was well worth the upgrade. plus, my stock flywheel was glazed and heat checked in a few places. yet, the disc had plenty of material on it. i suspected the glazing and heat checking after seeing it get smoked a little at least twice before i owned the truck.

last i saw the con OFE was rated for 475hp which is way more than i'd ever plan on but i like it. with the hub setup as it is, 6 neoprene bushings and 2 standard springs, it's really stiff but that's what helps it hold the power. only problem i've noticed with mine is it rattles my transmission bearings in 4th, 5th and a little of 6th between about 1600-1900RPM. i have to be gentle on it until it gets above that. and, it doesn't like 6th below 1500RPM much at all either. i'm hoping the trans will hold for a while cuz a rebuild on this NV5600 won't be cheap. not to mention if it needed hard parts cuz they'd could be hard to find these days.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:55 PM

i see that a lot of the g56 guys are complaining about with the noise if they dont swap all of the flywheel stuff. im not too knowledgeable about their setups though. its something about a dual flywheel or something thats breaking welds.

im not against a little grabby, im moving out of the city before ill get it installed anyway. my clutch now sounds like your old one. i think theres lots of material left but just not enough strength in it to hold what power i am making. it shudders a little if i dont slip it when i take off now and i think its got hot since it started slipping. the shudder just started since the turbo was bolted on.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't go wrong with a sbc! Peter and the crew will steer you right. I love my 3250dd. Noisy and shifts a little slower than stock, but 4th is good from 40-100+mph

Quick Reply: i might man up and buy a dual disk south bend...questions