1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

I awoke the BEAST! got hy35 on and got a 2nd gen 4" downpipe to fit.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I awoke the BEAST! got hy35 on and got a 2nd gen 4" downpipe to fit.

Well I finally bought a 4" downpipe off a 2nd gen from a guy for $10 the other day so I was ready to put the HY35 i picked up for free on my truck. I took the stock h1c with the lagmaster 21cm housing off and put the hy35 with the 9cm housing on. Everything matched up nicely. I did have a little problem with the oil drain line, the wastegate on the hy35 was kinda in the way of the drain line so I just siliconed the drain line flange and bolted it up as tight as i could, but it's leakin a little oil so i need to try and bend the drain line a little so it will fit better and seal up. The hy35 i have has the turn down exhaust outlet on it instead of a v-band clamp style so thats why i got the 2nd gen downpipe, thinkin that i would have to do some cuttin, fittin and weldin to get it to fit in my truck, but i didn't have to! I got a 2nd gen 4" downpipe to fit my 1st gen! It barely fit, its pretty much right up against the firewall and the bell housing, I had to bend my transmission oil dipstick out of the way, but it works. It fit very snug, but i have proved you can put a 2nd gen 4" downpipe in a 1st gen! (only if your turbo has the turn down outlet though) I was so glad it fit! I poured some oil in the top of the turbo and tightened the oil line down and then fired it up. I took the silencer ring out before i put the turbo on and wow this turbo sings!!! I pulled the truck out of the driveway and wow i was so impressed! this thing picks up and moves!!! it spools so quick! I can hit 29 lbs of boost now and i can get there a lot quicker where before i could only hit about 25-26 lbs slowly. I only had the 4" downpipe on it at that time and wow this thing was just too loud! the turbo is way loud and the rumble of the 4" exhaust just hurt your ear drums when you hammered it. But wow I'm just so impressed on how much difference this turbo and 4" exhaust made! this thing is a whole new truck! when i pulled back in the driveway, I said i gotta get this exhaust out back farther because its way too loud and it was paintin my transfer case black from all the soot. So i got a little flexpipe and a piece of some 4" bus exhaust i had layin around and made a transfer case pipe so now it drops out right behind the cab, and wow its so much quieter now! I need to get a stack on this thing soon! I just love my truck now! it is so much quicker, and it sounds so much better. This hy35 turbo sounds awesome with no silencer ring and my ASA intake! It screams! My egts are a lot cooler on bottom end, but if i hold it open i can still hit 1300, but it takes a lot longer to get there. goin down the highway at 65mph, I am runnin about 8-10 lbs of boost with my egts about 600, and before I ran about 7 lbs of boost with 700-800 for egts. I think I will get a lot better mileage with this turbo too, cuz it spools quicker and its pushin more air. I am really happy with this turbo and the 4" exhaust sounds so much better! the truck seems to get a lot louder when i hit about 29 lbs of boost so i'm wonderin if my wastegate is openin? does your truck get a lot louder when your wastegate opens? i will probably mess with the J hook on this wastegate and see if I can get a little more. The hy35 is a good turbo for these old trucks i think! I am very happy with it! I will probably have a stock h1c in good condition for sale, pm me if interested. Here is some pics of the turbo. I painted it red with engine enamel and painted the exhaust housing with the Very High temp header paint thats supposed to hold up to 2,000 degress so we will see how it holds up. thanks for all the help guys!
Name:  turbo001.jpg
Views: 3090
Size:  139.1 KB
Name:  turbo003.jpg
Views: 1934
Size:  105.9 KB
my 4" exhaust, I made a transfer case pipe for free!!! I had all the pipe layin around
Old 06-13-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats how my exhaust looks right now till I decide on stacks or not. I used a 2nd gen down pipe and then some flex tubing around the t-case.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:14 PM

Smile

very nice , i figured that hy would work well for a free turbo!
Old 06-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
...and another one slides down the slippery slope!

Try reclocking the compressor a little to give you more room for the oil drain.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:50 PM

92smokin blacky where are all the guys that said it won't work? Or the ones who said the hy was a turbo dog. Now we all got to learn something from your will to do something different. Congrats!! You sound like your pleased with the performance. I was a HARD HEADED youngun once and did things folks said wouldn't work "most didn't" but a lesson learned is better than a lesson taught most of the time. You just raised the price of the hy to a new high. Just like the HE351CW alot of guys said it won't work EGTs too high ect.. Guys like sdubfid & crewcabxlt that took the chance and found they will do a great job made the price of them go up and up. Good job youngun and congrats.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
sounds edit! got any videos so we can hear that baby scream??
Old 06-13-2009, 03:05 PM

The egts are really cool on the bottom end, but they are still kinda hot on the top end, but it doesn't get hot as fast, but I don't care, this thing is worth it!!! Oh man I love this thing!!! I love it more and more everytime i drive it! I wanna drive it all the time now! the turbo just sings while its idling and you can just hear it wind right up when I put in drive and just lug out of the driveway. And then when you start to get goin, it just sounds like a freakin airplane takin off! i love it! And it just just keeps goin and goin, just gettin faster! you can have the pedal to the floor and it just keeps goin! it doesn't seem to top out or anything! oh man this thing is great! I will try and get a video for you guys soon.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
...and another one slides down the slippery slope!

Keep the engine and trans inthe truck - you'll be fine
Old 06-13-2009, 04:39 PM

Hmmm... maybe I should bolt on my Hy35w I got laying around from when I was going to put it in my old Mercedes when the pump got turned up. Too bad I just paid $190+$55 shipping to get my first gen 4" downpipe. I guess I could buy a plate from ebay for the Hy and weld on a v clamp connection. Who knows, I'm inspired!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:10 PM

the thing about newer stock turbos is the make a good cheap upgrade, especially set up right. and run within map. you wont be the dyno queen with one but they make a good driver and tow set-up. quik spool and good fuel economy too. next 92 blacky, you will get bigger injectors and get boost up to 40 psi and need a bigger, laggier turbo. the fun never ends!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:11 PM

is there a silencer ring in my stock h1c with the 21cm housing? if so how do i take it out?
Old 06-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by oilcan64
is there a silencer ring in my stock h1c with the 21cm housing? if so how do i take it out?
No.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:02 AM

thats sweet you did that so cheap. i just got my turbo on today. it took alot of screwing around but my now my problem is too much boost haha
Old 06-14-2009, 02:30 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
92Smokin- I am happy for you. I knoe EXACTLY how you are feelin'. Got a little story to share:
Around 3 years ago when I got the truck shown in my sig I used to have listed as part of my mods an HY9cm turbo. If you ever read Diesel Power or Diesel World (usually under the Tech articles)you would have seen a "famous guru" on there doing mods for diesel owners in my area and his name is Kenny Imler of Imler Diesel Performance out of Sacramento, CA. I say famous, because in my area, when you need something done to your truck of any magnitude, everyone goes to Imler. That guy gets engines shipped to him from owners out of state that onl trust his work. He has also worked on trucks that competed in the annual Diesel Power Challenge.
I was in his shop one day and he told me that one of the things he always wanted to try on our 1st gens early on in his business career was to try an hy9 turbo. I offered to, and he "gave" me the turbo to try, along with the attachment on the exhaust housing to allow the turbo to mate to our factory downpipes.
The feelings your feeling now, and the attempts you are making in "spreading the word", I did all that. I raved and tried to tell everyone about the jet airplane type spool up, the egt's that never reached over 950 degrees, and the quickness on freeway onramp driving. I kept that turbo on there for 2 years, almost, till one day I experienced what someone had warned me about in using the hy9 turbo, and that is "choke out" at steady high rpms, such as freeway driving and passing up through mountains. Yeah, no matter how much I punched on that pedal, floored it, etc., when climbing any long and steady climb of a grade, the hy was maxed out. Fell flat on its face. Past 80 mph going up a grade, forget it.
Now from daily, flat, feeway commuting and around town travels, the hy shines. If that was ALL the driving I KNEW I would ever do, yeah, I'd still have that sucker on there. In fact, I stil own it; it sits on my workbench to this day.
So, I had to make a decision, and the happy medium, meaning fairly quick spool ups for around town driving(my daily commute consists of 1 hour 10 minutes one way, everyday, at 65-75mph) and large enough to move air where I can hit 90 mph going up a grade (go to Utah once a year-13 hour drive through mountains)while not nearing 1100 degree temps came out to be the tried and true 16cm housing, combined with an hx35. I went better and upgraded to the hybrid version from PDR. It met my needs.
Enjoy your hy-They are a lot of fun. Just understand their limitations and don't be dissappointed when you decide to head off somewhere that may involve passing semi trucks up some grades. Oh, yeah, by the way, Lenny at Dynomite told me that if the turbo you have was a goldish color on the compressor housing it means that someone had run that too hot at one or more times in the past. Mine was goldish when Imler handed it to me, so that tells me someone previous ran it too hot.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:49 AM

Thanks for that info Bigragu. I'll keep it in mind when I slap mine in when I get home from sea. Free upgrades rule.

Quick Reply: I awoke the BEAST! got hy35 on and got a 2nd gen 4" downpipe to fit.