1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How's your 1st gen 2wd in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by tomd
I had a red one...

I had a 1975 Blue LUV
That yellow looked like something infectious.

I first installed a turbocharged 231ci even fire out of a Buick Gran National and then later replaced it with a 350SB Chevy W/350TH trans. back side was a Currie narrowed 9" 31-spline Detroit Locker.
Truck looked completely stock from the outside.

I took my truck to the snow a few years back when we HAD snow and it was ok until the banks of the California mountain roads started to pile up and the truck was wider than the road. It started to get slipperier than glass; I did not have my chains on yet. I finally got to where I was going and then it was fine.

Here in Southern California we have a bunch of stupid people who have never driven in the snow or better yet have a car worthy of being driven in the snow or the highway.

They drive like it is the middle of the desert, accelerate fast and stop quickly.

On the way down we waited for the county snow plow then headed back down, had to stop to get directions at the porta potty and play area so we pulled off the highway into the center of the road, I tried to keep the duals on the frozen pavement but 1 side parked on top of a patch of ice and the front was headed nose down. When I tried to back out of course one side started to spin and it just sat there.

(My idea is to install turning brake levers on the rear end wheel cylinders so I could cause the opposite wheel to lock.)

Anyhow I had my wife run the throttle while I cleared the road of ice, I got it out the old fashion way by hand. I guess could have installed the chains then.

I do know one thing for sure though; it sure looked good in it.

Jim

Old 11-24-2007, 05:59 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, its snowing now, we're suppossed to get about a half inch, first of the year..
the first little bit is melting on teh blacktop, so it ought to be a good base for a road test
I get off work in two hours, so I'll see how well it handles then!!!
Old 11-24-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
My old 1978 K-20 Chevy 4x4 is open rear/front and always would out-go any other 4x4 around here, be it snow, ice, mud, or steep terrain.

What I would see from those with some kind of locking rear, be it limited-slip, locker, or whatever, the back end always wanted to slide down the hill, or warp a gate-post, or something, and had no directional control.

The 2WD DRW F-350 limited-slip travels very well in pastures, icy roads, and snowy roads; it will handle a big trailer on snow/ice fairly well; but, it won't go nowhere in a pasture with a trailer, if it is the least bit damp, just sit on top of the ground and spin.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
(My idea is to install turning brake levers on the rear end wheel cylinders so I could cause the opposite wheel to lock.)

This can be easily accomplished with a pair of MICO-LOCKs, one plumbed into each rear line; of course, you would have to LOOP the lines to a point under the cab, accessible from the driver-seat, or pay the bunch extra cash for the remote cable-operated ones.

I do know one thing for sure though; it sure looked good in it.

Jim

Always showing out with that nice camera.

You are right; it does look good.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i agree with bearkiller 100%
Old 11-24-2007, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I could afford it I would get a air or electric locker, that way I could run the diff open on the road but lock it up in the field/woods.
I miss my 4WD!