1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How to keep engine much cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to keep engine much cooler

I'm not happy with my cooling system. Just drove from California to Phoenix and it hits the third hot line over long hard climbs, and requires OD off, above 2700 rpm, and below 60 mph, otherwise the temp hits the roof. Engine has 172k miles, vehicle s 12000 lbs. Tranny temp is good. EGT is good. Would like to go over those mountains faster :-)

Radiator is new. Stuff in front of radiator: intercooler, then ac condenser, then aux transmission cooler and steering cooler with fan.

Question 1. What devices can I add to help my cooling system?

Question 2. What service procedures can be done to eliminate the cooling symptoms. In other words, what are the possible causes of overheating on long hard climbs.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:57 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
How far do you have the injection event timing advanced? Substantial advance will drive up the heat available to be converted to work in the cylinders, thus driving up the engine coolant temp.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:59 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Do you have a shroud? That single item alone can make all the difference in the world.

But you could also have a failing clutch assembly on your fan. If it's not locking up properly when the heat begins to rise, and therefore start drawing more air, then it will slowly begin to build up heat.

Also what kind of fan..stock 1st gen unit? I would recommend the 2nd gen fan and clutch fan assembly. I got both mine off e-bay and couldn't be happier.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:36 PM

My dad had a 440 powered, similar era motorhome and had a bear of a time with engine temps.
Could it be related to the chassis design?? That engine was surrounded in ky dads rig!
Old 04-22-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Water injection, water sprayed in front of radiator, add an oil cooler to the trans. Assuming you have the things above working. Mike
Old 04-22-2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by BC847
How far do you have the injection event timing advanced? Substantial advance will drive up the heat available to be converted to work in the cylinders, thus driving up the engine coolant temp.
I swapped the engine at 150k miles. Don't know if timing was advanced. The IP seemed in original position. I had a hell of a time re moving the IP from the case when I recently resealed it.

Is there a timing light that I can use to check the timing? Or do I have to use a dial ind at the rear of the pump? I'd rather leave that IP alone for now :-)

Edit: i have an m and h spacer waiting to be installed. Im afraid it will just worsen the engine temps.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Do you have a shroud? That single item alone can make all the difference in the world.

But you could also have a failing clutch assembly on your fan. If it's not locking up properly when the heat begins to rise, and therefore start drawing more air, then it will slowly begin to build up heat.

Also what kind of fan..stock 1st gen unit? I would recommend the 2nd gen fan and clutch fan assembly. I got both mine off e-bay and couldn't be happier.
I have the original fan shroud in there. I think I dd a good job sealing the edges where they meet the intercooler.

As far as the clutch is concerned I hear the fan roar when the engine temps start climbing. So I think the clutch is engaging. It is the original 1st gen fan

Is the 2nd gen fan more efficient? Moves more air?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by MARF75
My dad had a 440 powered, similar era motorhome and had a bear of a time with engine temps.
Could it be related to the chassis design?? That engine was surrounded in ky dads rig!
Could be. It's a doghouse design :-) where the top of the engine is enclosed. However, there's a lot of space on the sides for air to escape. And the chassis is lifted so it allows a lot of air circulation. The front grille allows massive air into the coolers.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Santaclaus
Water injection, water sprayed in front of radiator, add an oil cooler to the trans. Assuming you have the things above working. Mike
Do you mean water injection into the intake / intercooler? Would like to know more!

Is there such a thing as auxillary engine cooler - i have room in front. My aux trans cooler and fan is in the middle, I could move it to the side to make room for another fluid cooler with fan for engine cooling.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 PM

In case it's a factor, the motorhome has a water heater / exchanger plumbed into the coolant lines. I would think that would help, not worsen the situation.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:26 PM

One more thing, egt is good, in the low 1000s, as long as the engine runs above 2700rpm OD off. Egt shoots up to 1300 when on OD, and engine temps would get pegged to max, if I let it.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:30 PM

The biggest thing in my experience is the auto trans. I just pulled a 1500 chevy on a 2500lb trailer 300 miles without a cooling fan in my manual trans truck. It was around 30F so that probably helped a bit but temps didn't even creep up on long grades. My 2wd auto truck doing the same type pull(weight an rout) with a functional fan would start getting hot trying keep the same speeds up those grades. An upgraded torque converter would probably help a bit and a huge trans cooler would help take some of the stress off the engine cooling system.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
My experience with the symptoms that you describe is not enough radiator capacity. This could be by design, 1 or 2 core, or loss of capacity because it is partially clogged up. I have a mc that would run at perfect temps around town, but as soon as I went on a long trip, the temp would slowly rise to overheating. After throwing some parts at it, I replaced the radiator and all problems stopped. The posters above mentioned the shroud, but how is the other side? Can the rad freely suck in air? We had problems with rear mount fire engines because the radiator faced the rear and got no forced air input, good luck...Mark
Old 04-22-2013, 08:59 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Fan clutch working?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
is rsm rancho santa margarita?

Quick Reply: How to keep engine much cooler