1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How to fix your window lift motor.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Thanks for you help guys, found 75 Chrysler Gear exact same as 91 Dodge CTD Pickup

Have a look at this auction,

I purchased this item and it fits and works perfectly in my non Denso window motor, my gear was split into pieces.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

see picture if ebay kills this link.

I also found out that there are many others selling the gear if you need one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHRYS...#ht_500wt_1182

Reg
Attached Thumbnails How to fix your window lift motor.-screen-shot-2011-01-05-6.09.00-pm.jpg  
Old 04-14-2012, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Paul S.
Either of my window motors did not look like this on my '93. I tore it all apart and there was a completely different lobe system, basically un-repairable. I ended up putting it all back together and greasing everything and anything I could reach. My windows are better but not great.

It was obviously different once it was out. The cover plate was held on by two tabs opposite one another not screws like Jim's.

Just a FYI for people who are hoping this is the problem...
Yep, my 92 is the same way, window goes down but not up. Doesn't look like it's going to be a $2 fix. Everything looks intact under the cover plate, no pieces. Probably a relay for the opposite rotation burned out.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:21 PM

Hello,

I know I'm digging up an old thread here but I thought I would add some info to this that would help the Canadian readers, specifically those in BC.

I had this issue, and had a hell of a time finding those **** nylon spacers. Homedepot.com has them, but if you go to homedepot.ca (or go into the store) they are nowhere to be found and they can not order them in (or at least that's how it went down for me).

However, Fastenal.com has them on their website as well and the part # is the same in the US as it is in Canada. If you call your local Fastenal and give them the EXACT part number they will most likely be able to order it in. DO NOT just call and ask if they carry nylon spacers as they will tell you they don't carry anything like that and to try elsewhere.

Minimum order for me was 12 and it cost $3. Plus $11 for a tube of synthetic brake lubricant (local Lordco or NAPA).

Great thread!

D
Old 03-03-2017, 08:07 AM

Let me be the next to unearth a dormant thread, it was linked from another site as a reference along with this one:

Intermittant window lift motor, A look inside. - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

I have an unusual (I hope anyway) situation with my truck, delivered with non working power windows. This is what I found when exploring why they don't work.

Name:  IMG_09991_zps9rzifjeh.jpg
Views: 5530
Size:  169.7 KB

Yup, a zip tie and a wood block. I don't have motors installed but have purchased replacements that I need to install. My question is regarding spring tension and rapid regulator movement once the motor is removed. I've read regulator movement via spring tension as the motor is removed is a major cause of injury. I've also read that the spring is installed and designed to force the window up and the motor overcomes the spring to lower the window?

There is no mention of spring tension or regulator movement in this writeup, which is the most complete version I've seen. Is this because the window is in the up position?

I'd rather ask and be sure versus losing a finger. I actually have a set of crank window doors I've been keeping around, thinking I would swap door guts but I need to deal with the power window guts regardless.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've owned first gen Cummins trucks with power windows for most of the past 15 years and I've never had to get into a door before!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by 8888
Let me be the next to unearth a dormant thread, it was linked from another site as a reference along with this one:

Intermittant window lift motor, A look inside. - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

I have an unusual (I hope anyway) situation with my truck, delivered with non working power windows. This is what I found when exploring why they don't work.

Yup, a zip tie and a wood block. I don't have motors installed but have purchased replacements that I need to install. My question is regarding spring tension and rapid regulator movement once the motor is removed. I've read regulator movement via spring tension as the motor is removed is a major cause of injury. I've also read that the spring is installed and designed to force the window up and the motor overcomes the spring to lower the window?

There is no mention of spring tension or regulator movement in this writeup, which is the most complete version I've seen. Is this because the window is in the up position?

I'd rather ask and be sure versus losing a finger. I actually have a set of crank window doors I've been keeping around, thinking I would swap door guts but I need to deal with the power window guts regardless.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've owned first gen Cummins trucks with power windows for most of the past 15 years and I've never had to get into a door before!
I wouldn't worry about it, is is a pretty simple mechanism and is pretty easy to do. I just duct tape the window up and out of the way. I sis the opposite, I converted manual window door to power, so the opposite should be real easy...Mark
Old 03-04-2017, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Take an old spring type clothespin and pull it apart, use one piece on each side of the glass to wedge the glass at the frame to keep the glass from slipping down.

It is not that bad as long as you are aware it might get you, keep your fingers away from anything below the glass when you pull the motor loose.

You have a bigger chance of loosing a finger from the sharp sheet metal.

What was their explanation why the Window did not work?

Jim
Old 03-05-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Does anybody have the approximate measurements for the holes in this picture?

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails How to fix your window lift motor.-holes_in_door1.jpg  
Old 03-03-2020, 07:49 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Yesterday, I temporarily repaired my driver side window motor. The brushes are just about gone. The rest of it is OK I just need new brushes. Does anyone know where these can be found?

Rock auto has the entire motor for $28.79 but the motor looks smaller and either it won't last long or will be very slow.

Edwin
Old 03-05-2020, 12:45 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
The factory replacements are smaller- most hardware stores have brushes.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:12 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by samiam4
The factory replacements are smaller- most hardware stores have brushes.
Really? I hadn't thought of looking there. Thanks.

Edwin