1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How do I "unstick" a Cummins? It got rained on.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I "unstick" a Cummins? It got rained on.

I am looking at a Cummins 12v that accidentally got left out in the rain and now its stuck. I don't know how much rain yet, but its stuck none the less. Other than that, its a very nice and clean looking engine. He said it ran good when pulled.

What is the procedure for checking it out or unsticking it?

This will be my first diesel so I guess the days of pulling the spark plugs and filling the cylinders with some juice are over.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2013, 03:15 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Actually, similar to pulling spark plugs... You could pull the injectors and spray a bunch of penetrating oil in each cylinder and let it sit over night, after reinstalling the injectors of course. There are other fluids that can be used but right now I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I would first pull the injectors and see if it will now turn over using a barring tool or a socket on the harmonic balancer, a hydrostatic lock would stop your engine rock solid, it has enough force to break pistons, snap wrist pins and shove the rods out the side of the block.

Drain the oil and see if water drains out before the oil.

Check the side of the block for any holes like where one of the rods might have tried to escape.

What does it sound like when the starter was cranked, could you have a bad starter or battery?

I do not see how enough rainwater could have gotten into the engine unless it was taken apart or submerged, I wash my engine with Simple Green and the spray nozzle every time I wash the outside of my truck and I have never had any issues of water intrusion except at the WIF connector.

He said it ran good when pulled. I do not understand what he means by this?

What was the real story on the truck, could it have been temporally parked in a lake?

There were a lot of super deals right after Katrina.

You can remove the injectors and squirt MMO or ATF into the cylinders to try and free stuck rings, but make sure to pump the cylinders out before reinstalling your injectors.

Jim
Old 08-05-2013, 06:09 AM
KRB

Received 500 Likes on 353 Posts
I'm assuming he means the engine was pulled out of the truck and left sitting outside in the elements unprotected.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Now that makes sense,
I have seen standby generators without the raincap on the silencer and rainwater filled a cylinder through the exhaust port and rusted the cylinder.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:26 AM

Yes, the engine was pulled and then left outside but I dont know how long. I will be going to see the motor later today.
Attached Thumbnails How do I "unstick" a Cummins? It got rained on.-dsc_0124-2.jpg   How do I "unstick" a Cummins? It got rained on.-dsc_0125-2.jpg   How do I "unstick" a Cummins? It got rained on.-dsc_0126-2.jpg   How do I "unstick" a Cummins? It got rained on.-dsc_0127-2.jpg   How do I "unstick" a Cummins? It got rained on.-dsc_0128-2.jpg  

Old 08-05-2013, 09:27 AM

and one more.
Attached Thumbnails How do I "unstick" a Cummins? It got rained on.-dsc_0129-4.jpg  
Old 08-05-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The middle pic in the top row shows the crossover pipe missing leaving the intake open to weather. Is that how you found it? If so that is probably the source for water getting in.

Bob
Old 08-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless your picking it up for Really cheap I would Pass on it you could be looking at opening a can of Worm's trouble wise .
Old 08-05-2013, 11:44 AM

Judging by the amount of rust on things which should be shiny, I'd say that engine has been outside a while. If the cross over has been off all that time I'd say at least one of the front three is full of water. I'd pass if you want it for more than parts, or if it's a really smokin' deal and you have to have it, make them pull the head. It'll help with price negotiations.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:53 AM

Oil filler cap is missing too. Not good. I would not give more than the scrap metal value for it as that could very well be what you will get.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gatorama
Oil filler cap is missing too. Not good. I would not give more than the scrap metal value for it as that could very well be what you will get.
X2 - $500 most I would give..
Old 08-05-2013, 10:35 PM

Thanks everyone, I took all you had to say into account when I went to see it today.

Update-

I bought it!!
and another one he had in a truck in the back of the shop!!

I have 2 Cummins engines now!

As it turns out, it didn't get rained on because its been indoors but it apparently got enough moisture in it from being open to stick it. I am considering it a parts motor.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Congratulations on the "new" engines. Post some pictures when you get the head off the stuck one.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:08 PM

Thanks, I will.

Now, what transmission/transfer case? Hmmmmm

Any advice, suggestions?

Quick Reply: How do I "unstick" a Cummins? It got rained on.