1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

How to bump start engine outside of truck?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to bump start engine outside of truck?

So I want to bump start a 4BT that isn't in a truck - it's on my garage floor/engine hoist. How can I bump start this thing using jumper cables and a spare battery I have laying around? I'm hoping there is a way to do this so I can see if the engine runs.

Also, I know I need 12v to the shutdown solenoid, and I know I'll need to do a little bit of fuel system priming at bleeding. Just don't know how to get the starter working.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:27 PM

battery ground to engine, big positive cable to starter, put 12v to the small wire on the sarter and 12v to pump. use caution !
Old 07-02-2010, 10:01 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Have that sucker tied down real good too! You don't want your new engine running sideways on the floor.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:05 PM

Thanks! I have to adjust the valves, toss the covers back on and get a jug of fuel and I'll see if the little baby cummins fires. Can't wait!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:44 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Most likely it won't go anywhere if you sit it on a big truck-tire, but strap it down as best you can.

I started/ran my engine numerous times while it was on the floor.

Remove the fan if it isn't already gone.

You can run these engines dry of coolant for half-a-minute or so, but don't get carried away.

Don't forget fuel draw- and return-lines stuck in a jug.

Mist a little ether across the turbo intake while cranking and it will fire right up.

Don't suck a grease-rag, house-cat, or any of the kids into the turbo.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:16 AM

Have a board ready to block the intake in case you need to do an emergency shut down.

I'd leave the valve covers off just to check that the top end is getting lube. Especially if it is a new to you motor.

I like to mount a fuel jug above the motor so that it is gravity feeding into the IP. Put a little inline filter in the line just before the IP.

JP.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller

You can run these engines a long time dry of coolant, but don't get carried away.
Nothing personal BK, but I STRONGLY DISAGREE! The 4BT engines that came with 9 mm injectors have an inherit tendency to crack cylinder heads from the injector to valve seat area with the cooling systems installed under normal operating circumstances. This has been noted several times over the past 3 years.The run dry deal is NOT going to do it any good due to the heating and cooling differentials involved. Yes, it's been stated that shop teachers run diesel engines without coolant for minutes at a time but they don't have to personally pay for replacement parts and if one breaks it provides a lesson plan to diagnose the repair funded by someone else. Like any other salaried government funded employee, they are NOT spending their own money.

The most recent of many reports, 4BT HEAD CRACKS episode:
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?14826 <=Cracked-Head

Personally, I refuse to run any B-Series Cummins engine without coolant for more than 30 seconds maximum & never repeatedly without a cooling down period. But hey, it's your engines, your dollar$, and your decision.

Trebor/AKA BobS
4BT Swaps Administrator
Old 07-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Trebor
Nothing personal BK, but I STRONGLY DISAGREE! The 4BT engines that came with 9 mm injectors have an inherit tendency to crack cylinder heads from the injector to valve seat area with the cooling systems installed under normal operating circumstances. This has been noted several times over the past 3 years.The run dry deal is NOT going to do it any good due to the heating and cooling differentials involved. Yes, it's been stated that shop teachers run diesel engines without coolant for minutes at a time but they don't have to personally pay for replacement parts and if one breaks it provides a lesson plan to diagnose the repair funded by someone else. Like any other salaried government funded employee, they are NOT spending their own money.

The most recent of many reports, 4BT HEAD CRACKS episode:
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?14826 <=Cracked-Head

Personally, I refuse to run any B-Series Cummins engine without coolant for more than 30 seconds maximum & never repeatedly without a cooling down period. But hey, it's your engines, your dollar$, and your decision.

Trebor/AKA BobS
4BT Swaps Administrator

I doctored my statement a little.

I figured thirty seconds to be a "long time", but others might have mis-interperitted me to mean half-a-day.

Many times, I know what I mean to relay, but lose my meaning between my thoughts and the key-board.