1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Help, Truck Stumbles

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:21 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
No water in fuel. And it does seem that there is no miss to it, it just starts to go way low. We call it "catipillering" at Genermal Motors so that's what I'm going to call it. But it is hard to tell with that low of an Idle. So what needs to be done about the govenor? Is there any tests for it or just a your are screwed. The furthest I've been into these pumps is for the 366, But I'm not scared so.......?
Old 08-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pulled the top off of mine and inspected the governor and could see nothing wrong with it. Given the amount of $$ I sank into the stupid thing I decided to just pull it off and send it back to Giles and let him look at it for me. I have decided the 14mm is not a good street machine for me. When he fixes it, it will go on the shelf until its time to play. Meantime I am running my stock pump, which is on its last legsl, until my new 12mm is done.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 AM

Ok, sound like we need to have a pump R&R party. So you won't have the big giles 14mm pump at the dyno on the 14th? That sucks I really wanted to see your truck run all of that fuel. So at what point should I say screw it and go Pee Pump. I guess my question is how much do you have in the Giles? My new plan is to put my rebuilt stock 12mm on and was thinking of sending out the FUBARed one out to be turned into a go fast pump, but I need to figure out the jumping off point...I'd really like to stay VE but there is a glass roof.
What is your meaning of the Giles is too much for the street? Fuel economy, smoke, egt.....?
Old 08-06-2010, 09:21 PM

Ok NO AIR IN THE FUEL!!! And I made sure there were no blockages. So to recap good fuel, good fuel supply, FSS operates with jumped 12Volts and on ignition 12Volts. So before I go and rip this truck apart again to slide another one of my pumps in have I overlooked something some where? I've done some reading on the operation of this pump and as SOOT4BRAINS said it sounds like the govenor is sticking and could cause this problem. But then again there maybe something else that is simple that I'm looking/thinking to hard and over shooting a simple answer. I'm willing to try it all before condeming this pump.
Thanks for all of your guys support threw this......I'll have to get you guys a round. Just tell the bar keep that your buddy is coming by in a few and it's on him....LOL
Old 08-06-2010, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only other suggestion I have is maybe pull the fss and gut it. Maybe the seloniod is getting weak and partially blocking fuel. May not be the problem but it is just a thought.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:31 PM

Yhea I was thinking of doing it...But it always lights with half a turn of the engine and it shuts down right away. But I did ask for suggestions now didn't I, so let me go out and give it a try.......I'll BE BACK
Old 08-06-2010, 09:34 PM

lol it cant hurt before you spend a lot of money on a new pump lol.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:25 PM

Well as much as I hoped that you were right....Nope. Still the same thing, on a side note I had a "here's your sign" moment. I shut the key off and was like what the .... the truck is still running. It's been a while without sleep, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. The funniest thing is my other truck has a pull cable and well I've got my sign for the night...LOL
Looks like sunday will be pump R&R day.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Pod Boy (on hiatus)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't think of any other issues that could cause that except internal pump issues. The 14mm giles was ok for street use but not for me. I put too many miles on it to have it on there all the time. I'm not sure how to describe this, but it runs rough. I really didn't notice it until I put my 12mm back on and was surprised how smooth it ran. It doesn't feel rough like a misfire or timing to far off, just overall rough. It has a bit much timing for daily driving and it comes on too fast with the high case pressure. But when you nail it below 50mph it burns rubber and plants you in the seat. It got the same mileage as my 12mm and it smoked less down low. The most smoke was at full throttle because my little 62mm turbo is no where near enough air for it. It has a very tight afc on it and 66% of its fuel is controlled by the afc. Very awesome pump tuning. I too was looking forward to throwing it on the rollers, but not this time. On the other hand Giles just finished my tuned 12mm pump. Same afc setup as 14mm but is 12mm so its reliable. Stock case pressure but added 4mm of movement to the timing piston. It benched 250 cc's at 2000 rpm and maintains over 200 till it hits the governor. It should still throw down some decent numbers on dyno day. I may even have a new turbo on by then. As far as Giles prices shoot me a pm, I promised him I wouldn't put it out on the forums.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:35 PM

Sorry it didn't work.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
Sorry it didn't work.
Don't be sorry. I wish it would have but OH WELL. When people ask why I keep fixing "that old smoking truck" I say No truck payment and it has yet to leave me on the side of the road. Even with this hickup it still got me home. I will keep fixing it as opposed to a 600$ truck payment a month and no where near the fuel milage that I get.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by 93flatbed
Don't be sorry. I wish it would have but OH WELL. When people ask why I keep fixing "that old smoking truck" I say No truck payment and it has yet to leave me on the side of the road. Even with this hickup it still got me home. I will keep fixing it as opposed to a 600$ truck payment a month and no where near the fuel milage that I get.
I know what you mean about being paid for. My buddy has a beautiful megacab dually with a 700 a month payment. It is a nice truck but that is a crazy amount of money. I have put about 4,000 in my truck in the last 6 months or so but alot of that was stuff I wanted to do not needed to do. Even if I had a new truck there would still be stuff I wanted to do to make it the way I wanted it. So then I would have a payment and still would be looking for money for mods lol...
Old 08-08-2010, 12:58 PM

Ok guys got the new pump on and it is .....fixed. Put about 30 miles on it with my phone in hand..just in case!
I set the timming to 2.0mm and it seems I've lost a little top end. The thing is that my old pump was timmed at 1.9mm. I'm tired of looking at the engine so I'm going to run it for now...
Oh and Now I find out that my frame is broke as all hell and I'm going to have to pull off the front clip to fisher plate it and build back up the frame... But I'll still fix it...LOL I guess it's time to lift it a little so I can put cross over steering on it. Any one running hydro assist with there cross over. I have just cross over on the crew and love it, but thinking of hydro assist to keep the stress on the frame down. Need opnions thanks