1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Help prevent my truck from being stolen again!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help prevent my truck from being stolen again!

My beloved 12 valve was stolen last week. I was lucky enough to get it back, but it's tore up. The guys who grabbed it are pros. They ripped every inch of non stock wire out and busted the ignition.

I'm looking at doing a remote fuel shut off solenoid valve in the fuel line. What I need help with is finding a normally closed 12 volt solenoid that can be opened for extended periods of time without failing, and must have a manual override (bypass bolt).

has anyone done this and had luck with the parts holding up?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:51 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Well, that sucks. Glad you got your ride back.

On another note, these "guys" as you call them, being pros, hopefully aren't researching this site for ideas, on how to perfect their craft.

Best to you in your endeavor.
The following 3 users liked this post by NJTman:
1STGENFARMBOY (03-27-2018), cougar (04-07-2018), thrashingcows (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 03:58 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Can't you just put the FSS on a switch in an out of the way place? And/or a pull cable? Micro brake? Push button floor start?

Glad you got it back, sorry they trashed it. Were they just out for a joy ride or planned to sell parts or scrap it for cash?

I need to get out of the habit of not taking my keys out of the ignition...

Last Sunday a State Trooper friend of mine got a call of a Jeep doing donuts in a field. Dude had stolen it and ran. Trooper caught up with him and he pointed a stolen pistol at the Trooper. Two shots from his service rifle and no need for a trial.
The following 2 users liked this post by KRB:
Blue Goose (03-30-2018), thrashingcows (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 05:20 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
It is so easy to get one of these things running without a key it's almost criminal. All you need is a jumper wire and a screwdriver.

I'm thinking the best way to do it is to install a hidden manual fuel shut off valve. They may still be able to drive it off but won't get too far.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:27 AM
KRB

Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
It is so easy to get one of these things running without a key it's almost criminal. All you need is a jumper wire and a screwdriver.

I'm thinking the best way to do it is to install a hidden manual fuel shut off valve. They may still be able to drive it off but won't get too far.
But you have to be familiar with the setup to do it.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:08 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
But you have to be familiar with the setup to do it.
That is it's only saving grace but if they are stealing it for parts they probably know how to start them.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:06 AM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Try making one of these.... A hidden bent nail that holds the fuel shutoff closed. An average person would think its part of the linkage, and it only cost a penny!
Attached Thumbnails Help prevent my truck from being stolen again!-emily-skating-021-2-.jpg   Help prevent my truck from being stolen again!-emily-skating-023.jpg   Help prevent my truck from being stolen again!-emily-skating-026.jpg   Help prevent my truck from being stolen again!-emily-skating-029.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim5870:
edwinsmith (03-27-2018), nonrev (03-28-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
One of the first things that I did when I bought my truck was to go down to Cummins and ask a tech how to wire in a kill switch. All you have to do is take the wire that goes to the FSS and run it through a single pole/single throw switch to ground. I actually taped it onto the stock wiring to make it look stock original. Mine is in a hidden, but convenient location under the dash. Simple and very effective...Mark
Old 03-27-2018, 04:12 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
If a guy can get your hood open it takes 3 seconds to go from the battery to the FSS witha jumper, you need to shut off the fuel, gate valve in line under the floor with the ( T ) handle in a hidden location would stop any steeling but for a tow away.

you gotta stop the fuel.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Received 562 Likes on 411 Posts
Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
If a guy can get your hood open it takes 3 seconds to go from the battery to the FSS witha jumper, you need to shut off the fuel, gate valve in line under the floor with the ( T ) handle in a hidden location would stop any steeling but for a tow away.

you gotta stop the fuel.
The jumper to the fss will not work if it is grounded, which is what my suggestion is. It is a very easy, simple and effective way to buy a little peace of mind..Mark Edit: and yes they could just remove the wire from the fss and then jump it, but I think that is giving the scumbag that is trying to steal my truck too much credit...
Old 03-28-2018, 10:32 PM

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Look up Drone Mobile. a gps app based out of Seattle Wa.
You can follow your truck wherever it goes. It sends you email and a text
when your alarm goes off.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine was stolen when my father owned my truck. Since then I had purchased an RFID sensor that goes onto a keychain and controls a relay that controls the fuel solenoid when within 12 feet of the truck. I also installed a bypass in a very hidden location behind the glove box behind the rwal box incase of any malfunctions. So far 7 years no issues or battery changes in the remote. The remote is the size of a quarter on the keychain and has no buttons. It just sends a signal when within reach. I was going to wire it to the ignition but decided your average theif would see if the second they pulled the column covers off. I ran all the relay wiring to the fuel shut off very hidden so it would be hard to spot without knowing it’s there. I have less than 70 dollars and 5 hours into the job planning it and all. If your interested in this such device at all I can spend a little more time explaining and digging up items I used (a kit).

dean
Old 04-01-2018, 03:02 PM

I think I've settled on a motorized ball valve with a trigger from my alarm and possibly an rfid. Anyone with a bit of smarts can jump the starter and yank the fss arm in under a minute.

controlling the fuel is my answer.

I would be interested in seeing your rfid setup.

thanks.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:29 AM
KRB

With the value and popularity of our trucks and engines do youall think most of these thefts are for resale or is it still just punks going for joyrides?
Old 04-02-2018, 11:15 PM

Mine was used as a getaway truck so they could jack a bunch of other trucks.

Quick Reply: Help prevent my truck from being stolen again!