1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Headed to Mexico with '93 & 5th Wheel - PARTS?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Headed to Mexico with '93 & 5th Wheel - PARTS?!?

Read about fuel and water pump failures. WHERE do you guys buy your GEN-YOO-INE Cummins parts???
Can you think of any other 1st Gen parts besides filters, spare serpentine belt that one ought to have with??
THANX. H.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
havent had to replace anything yet, so i cant help you there but be sure that you have a GOOD spare tire with ya
Old 12-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Banned

Regulator if you have converted to external, otherwise an alternator. Spare starter never hurts, either. Spare Headlight(s). Suppose a spare lift pump wouldn't hurt, either. Spare full size tire and equipment to change it, of course.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
belt tightner,non air cond belt if ac comp. fails
Old 12-18-2008, 02:17 PM

Id say two truck tires, two trailer tires if were talkin long long distance.

Maybe bring some proof that you're an american so you can get back in the country
Old 12-18-2008, 04:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What part of Mexico?

Mexico, in general, seems to eat tires. I've driven down Baja 3 times, and east and west to both coasts from Mexico City. I've never had a flat. But we've always had several flats in our group of travelers. The roads are narrow, and you'll end up driving on the (very narrow) shoulder at some point at cruising speed. Rocks are sharp. Cactus is sticky.

General parts are readily available in Mexico...headlights, used and even new tires, maybe alternators...there's a zillion cars in that country!

I'd take a lift pump, fuel filters (several), oil filter, oils lubes fluids and such if you're picky about your brand (don't know what sort of oil is available there), 2 spare tires for your truck and 2 spares for your trailer, maybe some Power Service 911 in case you get a tank of watery fuel, your choice of fuel additive, water pump, belt, some JB Weld, maybe an extra U-joint, and assortment of nuts and bolts. I'm sure others will have more suggestions.

If you really want to spend the bucks it can't hurt to have spare turbo, injection pump, starter, and alternator. But if you're having no signs of issues with these items, you'll more-than-likely be OK.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:44 PM

Tuckerdee et al: GOOD advice. THANX. I'm just headed down to San Felipe, Baja for a week or so. 120 miles into Mexico. My truck is very nearly bone stock. As in exactly as it left the Mexico plant. Funny, its going HOME. I had rock chips in both headlights and they were fogged. Replaced 'em. My lift pump is original. Got a spare from NAPA for $93. Dodge dealer quoted me $345 for the pump. No WONDER they're headed out of business. Already put a new serpentine belt on and kept the good old one for a spare. Bought upper and lower radiator hoses. I have brand new tires on the 5th wheel. Went one size up and got Maxxis 8 ply radials. Have 2 mounted spares and 1 extra tire for the trailer. Truck has new Michelin LTX all around and spare is like new. Got 2 fuel filters, 1 oil filter. A gallon of Rotella 15-40. A gallon of antifreeze. A 12V air compressor. Gobs of tools. Called my insurance co. and got full coverage and towing on truck and trailer. Que mas? A BOTTLE OPENER and lawn chairs! That's what!! Looking forward to it. If anybody knows anything to do in San Felipe other than drink mexican beer, eat fish tacos and watch the sunset, I'm open to suggestions.
Gracias! H.

Last edited by M1Lover; 12-19-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-19-2008, 09:29 PM

What else

Bring your own beach bunny, local entertainment could be risky !
Old 12-19-2008, 10:29 PM

You may be in luck..............

Many 1993 Dodge Cummins were made in Mexico, (like mine) so maybee you won't have to scrounge far for parts! Just a tomato field away............
Old 12-20-2008, 12:19 AM

I think you should take the M1, stay safe down there. I don't think I would go near any of the hotspots for the kidnapping and drug murders.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SUPRDUD
I think you should take the M1, stay safe down there. I don't think I would go near any of the hotspots for the kidnapping and drug murders.
Kidnapping gringos is more of a Middle America (as in northern South America) hobby now. Not happening as much as it used to. Still never hurts to be protected. Carry a gun if its still legal/possible down there (been a while since I checked).

Here are a couple of tidbits of information for legal carry of weapons in places known for nanny state-ism: Alot of the truck drivers carry flare guns in New York, because handguns are/were illegal. Go to a boating store to get one.Its a safety device, no one is gonna yell at you for having one. And it'll get the job done if needed. Also keep in mind that an aluminum or hardwood baseball bat behind the driver's seat can be an essential tool for preventive maintenance on tires.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:49 AM

Good advice all. Especially the BYOBB (beach bunny). Got that covered. Aluminum baseball bat. Known that one for years. Carry a mitt and ball too. Beach toyz. Machete', yes. Firearms - Absolutely NOT in Mexico, less you want to spend the rest of your life in a south of the border prison. They bust people for spent shells. Funny how the places where you should be packing, its WAY illegal. That only works on citizens like us. Wrong forum. Sorry. Mexico: No dope, no guns. Simple.
I've discovered that the secret to well-being in Mexico is to always be polite, speak spanish, and get the hell away from the border as soon as possible. Also, don't EVER go into big cities like TJ, Juarez, Mexico DF.
I'll give a full, Dodge Cummins - 1st Gen Truck related report upon return. My truck is an auto. I had it completely serviced at a good shop. Works just fine. That's my only real concern. My 5th wheel is only 23' but man, can my wife pack it full? Thanx for the good advice Gents. H.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
San Felipe is great. If I remember, the road south from Mexicali isn't bad either. Pretty straight. South to Puertocitos it gets crazy though. Have a great time!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Get some good anti-theft system or a very big dog and live it in the truck or You may not need to use all the extra parts if You live the truck alone.