1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Happy new year??....not for me.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everything I've ever heard is that if there's a fatality, expect to need a lawyer. I wouldn't think that it's necessary to get one immediately, but I wouldn't be surprised if you'd have to go to court (or if you're insurance company has to go to court on your behalf).

I figured when I bought my truck that I really bought the driveline; as long as I don't hurt the engine, tranny and axle in an accident, then I could spend the insurance money and put the driveline into an older Chevy and get a better truck all around, so I'm really not out all that much... You had that cherry body on there, though, which sucks big time; you know the time and labor there won't be respected by insurance.

And wear your seatbelt!!! What's the matter with you? (And really watch what you say on the Internet in case some money-grubbing family member takes you to court for a Wrongful Death suit.)
Old 01-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow, that is messed up pretty bad. I don't think it's fixable. Since you are capable of doing a body swap, how about finding a gasser with the insurance money and doing a driveline swap?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:32 PM
KRB

Received 500 Likes on 353 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. Like the others have said, the other driver made the fatal decision that ended his friend's life. You were where you were supposed to be, doing what you were supposed to do. He has to live with the results, not y'all.

My experience is that the insurance companies are only your friend when you're paying them premiums. Once you start costing them, you're on your own. I had a '76 Duster that I had restored but not insured as "restored" or anything other than what it said it was in the blue book - a $200 car. The girl that pulled out in front of me with no insurance finished off my first car . I got the $200 and was still paying for the paint job and body work and fresh motor .

That said, I agree with getting legal counsel. I got nailed by a speeding neighbor coming out of my own driveway. My fault (still can't figure out how you are supposed to guess that a guy is coming around the curve at twice the speed limit and will hit you before you can get out of the way even though he ain't in sight when you pull out ) and my former insurance company paid him off no questions asked. I got an attorney and when the skid marks equalled ecsessive speed his insurance all the sudden decided they wanted to settle without going to court .

Find an attorney that does these sort of things and at least start a dialog. Unfortuantly, he who is right is not always rewarded. Don't mean to be a downer, just want you to cover all the bases. Better to have it and not need it you know.

Good luck my friend.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:37 PM

I had a similar accident in the '70's. Like this one, involved a death, and like this one witnesses to clear me. It was a year or so later when I received notice I was being sued. (It was a pretty new sport in the 70's unlike today.) The insurance company paid the guy to go away, around 1/25th the original amount. Any payment was bad, but their reasoning was "cheaper than going to court". In any event, I don't know how ambulance chasing has evolved, but, (big "but" ) if you actually know and trust your insurance agent, he'll be a big help. It's a too common problem.
In my case, I knew my agent from childhood. I lucked in that respect.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate this. Yeh, I'm definitely gonna tell my insurance people that I want to discuss this with them, or one of their lawyers, or my own. They've already been notified of what happened, but I want some advice before I make any recorded statement with the other guys insurance.

The body swap I did really wasn't that bad, especially for me since I have a garage with a 12' ceiling and a Bend-Pak 10,000 lbs. two-post lift. Makes lifting the cab and bed a one-man job. I did it right too. The '87 didn't have A/C or power doors, and was an auto trans 4x4. So I removed the entire dash and wiring and installed the A/C box, speedo cluster, A/C controls, factory am/fm/cd player, tilt column, brake pedal, clutch pedal, clutch master cylinder, and complete wiring from my '91. After it was done, it looked like it came from the factory. So, yeh...I had some time invested in it. But it really wasn't that hard, just need to pay attention to what you're doing. I wish I took pictures of all that, but if i gotta do it again I will this time to show you guys.

Wanna, I was thinking of that option also....but do the W250 gassers have the same frame as the W250 diesels?? Would anything else be different?...like the front axel being a 44 or 61?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Scottsdale86
Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate this. Yeh, I'm definitely gonna tell my insurance people that I want to discuss this with them, or one of their lawyers, or my own. They've already been notified of what happened, but I want some advice before I make any recorded statement with the other guys insurance.

The body swap I did really wasn't that bad, especially for me since I have a garage with a 12' ceiling and a Bend-Pak 10,000 lbs. two-post lift. Makes lifting the cab and bed a one-man job. I did it right too. The '87 didn't have A/C or power doors, and was an auto trans 4x4. So I removed the entire dash and wiring and installed the A/C box, speedo cluster, A/C controls, factory am/fm/cd player, tilt column, brake pedal, clutch pedal, clutch master cylinder, and complete wiring from my '91. After it was done, it looked like it came from the factory. So, yeh...I had some time invested in it. But it really wasn't that hard, just need to pay attention to what you're doing. I wish I took pictures of all that, but if i gotta do it again I will this time to show you guys.

Wanna, I was thinking of that option also....but do the W250 gassers have the same frame as the W250 diesels?? Would anything else be different?...like the front axel being a 44 or 61?

Gonna hold you to that!! It looks like the best option if you have the space and equipment to do it. (I have all that also). Dummies like me need help.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The body swap I did really wasn't that bad, especially for me since I have a garage with a 12' ceiling and a Bend-Pak 10,000 lbs. two-post lift. Makes lifting the cab and bed a one-man job. I did it right too. The '87 didn't have A/C or power doors, and was an auto trans 4x4. So I removed the entire dash and wiring and installed the A/C box, speedo cluster, A/C controls, factory am/fm/cd player, tilt column, brake pedal, clutch pedal, clutch master cylinder, and complete wiring from my '91. After it was done, it looked like it came from the factory.

?
Thats exactly what I am doing now in the garage, minus the lift.

Keep the truck for parts and find another frame and do it again.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:45 PM

That stinks man. I am glad you are okay. I agree with the others. Get in contact with a lawyer quick.

-Steve
Old 01-11-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
[I](I edited out some of the details of the accident....just to protect my own butt...thanks Begle1...all I'll say is it wasn't my fault. Most of you already read what I said.)
This has got to be a first, certainly worth noting. Begle1 actually had a positive, constructive, quasi-legal contribution?

My whole world is has just turned upside down.

Sorry about the accident. Lets be careful out there!
Old 01-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Some of the gasser frames are not as tall in the rail section, but there's nothing to prevent you from bolting the driveline in. As long as it's not a heavy working truck the lighter frame is not a problem.

You would want to include your front axle as part of the driveline swap.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:12 PM

could you just stitch weld a 1/4 inch flat bar to the bottom of the rail channel to make up for that.?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I don't think that would add any strength.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by farmer0_1
could you just stitch weld a 1/4 inch flat bar to the bottom of the rail channel to make up for that.?
Could you weld two frames all the way together to make up for that?
Old 01-12-2007, 07:31 AM

i will have to consult with my wife on this one. or her brother or two sisters or my brother inlaw. all engineers. mech. electrical. civil . almost hate to ask. and me a farmboy. we used to box alot of old jeep frames to strengthen them.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Well, boxing it would definitely strengthen it!

Quick Reply: Happy new year??....not for me.