1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Happy new year??....not for me.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Happy new year??....not for me.

Well, I know I don't post a whole lot on here, but I do read through this forum almost daily. But I figured you guys would want to see this. (I edited out some of the details of the accident....just to protect my own butt...thanks Begle1...all I'll say is it wasn't my fault. Most of you already read what I said.) Me and the 'ol lady were fine, she just had a good charlie-horse on her leg when she smacked my 4wd shifter. As far as my truck, the front clip is shot, obviously. The frame is hosed. Its pushed over about 5" or 6". Front springs are like this: / / The front axel isn't hurt. Neither is the engine...it still fires right up. I just can't steer it since the steering column is broke and the steering shaft broke off of the steering box. Well here's some pics. In case you're wondering about the 80's style trim on a '91, I just swapped a cherry '87 body on this past summer. Don't know what I'm gonna do now.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:08 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch. Major, major bummer. My sympathies. Does however go to show how driving these old tanks gives you a much better chance of survival against a smaller foe in a crash.

I got into a debate with some jerk on another forum awhile back who was trying to say his new Lexus would do better in a crash against any older vehicle including a 3-ton truck, due to the advanced safety features like a dozen or so airbags, computer designed crumple zones, etc. He could not seem to understand that at some point speed, impact and kinetic energy all boil down to mass on mass. The occupants in the larger vehicle almost always come out ahead in a direct collision as long as they are belted in.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:09 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

I'm sure you have already realized this, BUT... The other driver made a choice to behave as he did....you didint choose HIS behavior or have control over it.
Any consequence from the accident is on him, not you. You have nothing to feel guilty or bad about as far as the injuries and such from teh accident. That was his decision, not yours.

Things happen to us that are beyond our control, and we cant shoulder the responsibility for anything other than our own actions.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:15 AM

As long as everyone was O.K. That's all that really matters! Those good ol' trucks are fairly easy/cheap to find parts for so I guess that is a plus. I smash up my Powerwagon every May Long Weekend and there is a local fellow/pal that has an incredible stock of ol' mopar trucks. He's a heaven sent!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 09:16 AM

What Chrisreyn said!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 09:41 AM

Thanks.

Yeh, me and the girlfriend are fine...even for not having are seatbelts on. The ol' girl did a good job of protecting us, even the firemen on scene where impressed with the damage on my truck compared the the demolished car.

The state police told me the same thing...that I really have nothing to worry about. I'm not being charged with anything...I wasn't speeding or anything...all verified by the witnesses. But I'm just worried that the guys family might get some money-hungry O.J. Simpson-type lawyer and try to sue me for something stupid like "it was my bumper that physically killed him". You know what I mean?? That's my number one worry. My second worry is his insurance is gonna try and screw me on the value of my truck. I know there gonna total it, and I know there gonna try and short-change me. I plan on buying it back. That' a promise. There's a lotta good stuff in it and I ain't letting that go to the boneyard.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:22 AM

Have you lawyered up? I can guarantee you that you should. His insurance company will do their best to ream you. And they have lawyers.

I'm glad you are ok but I would get looked at by a MD. My wife got rear ended some years before her neck problems began to appear and once you sign off there is nothing you can do.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would seek leagl advice if anything/anyone shows up. Dont sign anything until you have good counsel.

Glad you and the better half are ok.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:40 AM

That's what I was wondering. Maybe I should get a personel lawyer. I do have my insurance carrier, obviously. I never needed a lawyer before in my life.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Banned

We all need one at some time. I'd wait and see. But, it wouldnt hurt to get some names now so you can bounce back. It would be nice if you could find one that is friends with the judge in the prospective case, though that would be hard to find without being a court insider.

The insurance company will try to ream you. I got rear-ended in my mom's pickup last spring (92 D350 Cummins), and the insurance co said the truck was worth $3500!!! Granted, there is some peeling paint, and I'd had the door panels off doing some window motor work, but give me a break. Every used car salesman we talked to said at least $5K, maybe $6k (that's a stretch) She kept it and got $2750, or so. Stil not bad, considering I only had a mild whiplash, and the truck was fixed for $500.

If you have All-State Insurance, my sympathies are with you- they pay out without question. Yes, even if it is the other guy's fault, they will still pay rather than contest it. BTDT.

Glad you and your girlfriend are OK. Look at it this way- you didnt know the other person, he is nothing more than a statistic. People we dont know die every day, you just happened to be in the vicinity when this person passed. I wouldnt beat yourself up over it. life goes on.

Daniel
Old 01-10-2007, 11:07 AM

Man I'm sorry that you had to go through that. I hate impatient jerks who put prople in danger just to get a short distance.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:49 AM

Sorry for the loss of the truck and for the loss of the passenger in the other vehicle. But this thread does make me feel safe in driving ol' smokey on the freeway .
Old 01-10-2007, 02:41 PM

watch out here on the west coast for a rust free rig. fly out load up drive it home. take what you want off of yours . sell the rest on ebay or here. just telling my wife the same thing about our old fleet. at least i feel safe. glad you guys weren't hurt.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
First off sorry for the loss. Stinks about the person who died, and your truck but everything mechanical is fixable. The upside is that you and the missus are ok.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:10 PM

Sorry about your truck. I've been a firefighter for 14 yrs, most of those running on interstate 4 here in Florida. I've seen HUNDREDS of wrecks and I know first hand that the older trucks hold up extremely well.Especially the 1st gens.(Jeeps do suprisingly well also).That truck may have saved your life! So its kinda small price to pay for your safety

Quick Reply: Happy new year??....not for me.