1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Happy to be mechanical

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happy to be mechanical

A cowoker just recently spent a lot of money on a tablet and a new Quadzilla software bluetooth program so he can tune on the fly wirelessly thru the mounted tablet, very trick system to be honest. HOWEVER....quadzilla shut thier doors overnight, he has some issues and now has no support. He did some research and, from what he has read, the EPA is cracking down on the tuner companies like Smarty, Banks, etc for thier diesel products . Quadzilla shut their doors instead of taking the massive fine. Anyone else hear anything about this...?

So like I told him...I happy to be mechanical once more as I do not need email support to turn a fuel screw or put in a spring...once it's in, it's in lmao!! Poor compu-diesels guys.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I agree, all computer controlled vehicles will stop dead when the earth gets hit with solar storm someday. Pre-computer controlled vehicles will be the only ones going down the road. If we ever get hit with one of these solar flares say good-bye to cell phones and computer systems.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/...peak-in-2013/#
Old 02-09-2013, 09:16 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Don't forget when Y2K hits our trucks will be priceless, of course we can't post them on the internets for sale but I'm going to start my low reserve at 100 billion dollars. I figure trump won't mind riding in the bed of a buck horse going to his office. Heck I'll even detune it so he has a small carbon footprint. I'll resort back to horse back and live my megar millionaire life style.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Horse and buggy maybe the only means of transportation when we get hit by a solar flare in 2013. Amish have the right idea to getting around.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes....Those computer controlled vehicles are becoming more complex...As time goes on the back yard mechanic will be something of the past...

I will keep driving my stock 56 chev and my all mechinal 12V...As long they don't dis-continue the parts... to repair them...
Old 02-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I agree with everything you guys have said! It is why I still have my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve which I bought brand new late in 1995. The Cummins 12 valve engines (Ist and 2nd Gen) are so simple to work on compared to the later electronically controlled Dodge CTD CR Trucks. And the new 4th Gens IMHO are a nightmare! I have nothing against anybody that has one, but John_P is not buying one!

I do have a 2006 Dodge CTD CR which overall has been a good truck, but it does some weird things sometimes!

--------
John_P
Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by John_P
I do have a 2006 Dodge CTD CR which overall has been a good truck, but it does some weird things sometimes!

--------
John_P
Like the trailer lights not working because it fried a computer?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:10 PM
KRB

Received 497 Likes on 350 Posts
VERY happy to be mechanical! A luddite through and through.

My "newest" vehicle is a '96 Camry wagon for my other half. My DD is a '90 Corolla wagon. My farm truck is a '76 W200. My oldest vehicle is a 1951 Dodge Power Wagon.

I see no use or purpose for a vehicle that has to be "flashed" in order to perform as designed.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:07 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
And just think of all that fuel we can use...the gas powered cars will be dead everywhere...and all we need if the oil out of the crank cases, and transmissions...and a little RUG to thin things out.

I also have an old chrysler wagon, and I converted it to electronic ignition...but the 70's system...but it too could still be fried. I have a complete points system to go back in if need be...10 minutes and I'll be back up and running.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do not for get the dreaded EMP gun or the EMP from a nuke blast.

My Daily Driver is an '82 MB 300D Only electronics are the HVAC and the cruise control. Even the fuel shutoff is done by vacuum.

The work horse is the '90 D250. Yep, all mechanical is a great thing.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:56 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
You are not going to have to wait for the next Solar Storm or Y3K to experience and EMP burst, when this company here in Pasadena is finished with their device they hope to have them installed on police cars, I understand LAPD wants them and the LASD is testing them.

http://eurekaaerospace.com/content/h...pping-vehicles

http://www.policeone.com/police-tech...ts-Really-Hot/

How long before this will be abused, there do not simply disrupt the electronics, they destroy it.

Soon they will be installed on freeway overpasses and entrances to goverment buildings

Most people do not know that part of the presidential motorcade is the ECM Suburban that jams all local cell phone communications and RF frequencies so nothing electronic works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USSS_El...sures_Suburban

You could install an inertia starter and start our trucks without an electrical system.

Jim
Old 02-10-2013, 05:11 AM
KRB

That would be great for cops to use to stop high speed chases etc, but you're right, it's only a good tool when used as designed and with prudence.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this old man would like to know what electrical systems can survive. alternator, generators, starters, solenoids what will it really effect
Old 02-10-2013, 05:48 AM
KRB

Is that a Polara?
Old 02-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by scot pa
Like the trailer lights not working because it fried a computer?
---------------------
Scott, mine has never done that but a few of my buddies that have the
2004+ Dodge CTD CR Trucks have had it happen!

But, sometimes on my truck I will accelerate hard and then let off suddenly and the engine doesn't want to slow down!! It has done it more than once too..........

And Jim is right about the EMP devices or a bomb from Iran or North Korea launched on the U.S.! All computer devices would fail in that case according to the experts. My Wife has an old 1970 VW Beetle 1600 that would still run in a case like that too.

Quick Reply: Happy to be mechanical