1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Grease conversion on a '92 CTD

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grease conversion on a '92 CTD

Well I have finally started my grease conversion on my '92 CTD

I started by gathering parts..

I have filters, fittings, heat exchangers, pollack valve, lava line, and I just started making myself a grease tank..

After looking at a lot of tanks on the web and in person I decided I did not want a tank in the bed of my truck.. (plus I have a bed camper)

So I am building my own to go where the soare tire goes on my truck.

Here is what I have so far..

I am using 14 gauge steel..
a steel brake I just bought that can bend up to 35" wide.
the tank size is 30x30x15 estimate 58 gallons..
you can see in the pick I had to notch a few spots for it to fit where I want it.

The biggest question is when it is all done if it will hold with out leaks
Old 01-15-2007, 10:28 PM

here is where the tank will go
Old 01-16-2007, 12:30 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
are you fabricating baffles inside your tank? Good job, BTW. Are you in the Sheet Metal Trades??
Old 01-16-2007, 12:33 AM

what the heck is a grease conversion ???
Old 01-16-2007, 01:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for running straight vegetable oil as fuel. Usually utilizes a second tank so you can start and shut down on dino diesel ...
Old 01-16-2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by bigragu
are you fabricating baffles inside your tank? Good job, BTW. Are you in the Sheet Metal Trades??
Yes this tank wil have baffles inside it...
I am also welding on a "w" setup using c channel to heat the tank from the bottom.. I wil post pics when that part is done.

Nope I do metal work for fun "hobby"

I am an IT system/network Admin I am a computer geek.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Cummins Freak
what the heck is a grease conversion ???
to read more up on grease conversion you can check out www.frybrid.com
they have a ton of good info and a forum to learn from..

this conversion is not for the faint of heart.. takes lots of learning and reading to even try to get it workign correct. there are many ways to screw up..

SO I will say this do not just copy me design if you decide to do this but please please read and learn before trying this..
Old 01-16-2007, 09:35 AM

Good luck.....

BTW - are you using flux-core to weld that up??? I see alot of oxidation on those tack welds.

Oh and it needs more triangulation.... hehe....
Old 01-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your craftsmanship looks very nice. Rust may be a concern using steel. WVO does hold water. From what I have seen, most WVO fabricators use aluminum for the tank. You do not need to heat the entire tank, just where the pickup is located. I put in a 5" dia tube about 8" high and the pickup is in the bottom, as well as baffles. This way only the oil close to the pickup is heated, the heated tube concentrates the heat locally, and when I go around a corner, the oil does not slosh away. Welcome to the wonderful world of demented WVO users
Old 01-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Ace
Banned

Eeeexcellent. You're right to be worried about leaks. I've done a few steel tank repairs in my time and it is very difficult to get them perfectly sealed. It can be done, you just have to take your time and be extremely careful to make absolutely solid, consistent welds. Other than that, I believe it should work great!
Old 01-16-2007, 12:12 PM

I"ve ran b100 no problems. To cold this time of year to run it. My ? is who long is it going to take to heat up 58 gallons to make it use able? also isnt the VE pump cooled by the fuel? or do they have a fuel heater in them? Ifso how hot does it heat the fuel? because the hot WVO would be around 150 to 170 degress thought the heated fuel lines. just my thoughts. I was also told keep my fuel tank as full as possible to keep the fuel cool. Is that awise tail or not.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 4RnrRick
Good luck.....

BTW - are you using flux-core to weld that up??? I see alot of oxidation on those tack welds.

Oh and it needs more triangulation.... hehe....
flux core to tack
Old 01-16-2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Baja
Your craftsmanship looks very nice. Rust may be a concern using steel. WVO does hold water. From what I have seen, most WVO fabricators use aluminum for the tank. You do not need to heat the entire tank, just where the pickup is located. I put in a 5" dia tube about 8" high and the pickup is in the bottom, as well as baffles. This way only the oil close to the pickup is heated, the heated tube concentrates the heat locally, and when I go around a corner, the oil does not slosh away. Welcome to the wonderful world of demented WVO users
if I had a TIG welder I would probably have made it out of Aluminum, but no luck so back to steel..

Hope to have this completed with in 1 month.. so we wil see
Old 01-16-2007, 03:14 PM

there's a guy here with a 92 that just installed a frybrid kit. seems to be working fine. i'm a little scared of pump lubrication, but he says it's no problem.
anyway, he installed a 60 gallon toolbox/tank combo in the bed. i know you dont want to go that route, but why not just add a 5-8 gallon tank under the truck to put #2 in and run the veg oil in the stock tank? you only use #2 to crank and warm and shut down on anyways, right? just curious.

it really is a cool setup. 3 heaters and lots of tubing. just wonder about the pump getting lubed properly.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Seems like a lot of extra work to make your own tank. Why not just run a Ramcharger tank back there?

Quick Reply: Grease conversion on a '92 CTD