1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Governor spring install photos

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Den

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Governor spring install photos

Today I tackled the 3200 VE governor spring project. I took 38 photos, created another project page on my site and added my notes to it.

You can find it here or use the www link on my posts in the future.
http://dens-site.net/Dodge_CTD/Gover...ing/index.html

My results are mixed because I really don't have any power mods done yet. I have PODs sitting here and I still need to order my exhaust and turbo soon.

I didn't rotate the pump or touch the full power screw.

Having no additional fuel mods, you may have mixed results with this spring. My truck will rev up to 3000 in second gear, so I see a RPM difference.

EDIT: Below is my original post. The lack of power was found to be my high idle settings which were different after the spring install. I'll leave it here for reference

I did loose my second gear boost from 24 to about 18. In third it will reach the 24 psi I saw before. Maybe the AFC cover or the boost line to the AFC is leaking. It would have to be a pretty good leak to do that I would imagine...which doesn't sound promising. I'll check it tomorrow.

The old spring was 18 in first and 22-24 in 2nd and climbed to a max of 24.
The new spring is 18 in 1st and second and then slowly to 24 in third. I also see the boost jump up a few psi and return on each shift. Didn't see this before.

I slid my kickdown cable (throttle lever) forward to let it wind out between shifts.
3000 rpm in first, 2700-2800 in second and third I took to 70 when the TPS kicked the OD in.

I did this first just to get it done. It's there for when I need it with the other mods.
Hopefully when I add the PODs and more fuel, ill see my boost return and higher RPMs

Den
Old 03-20-2005, 09:20 PM

WOW youre gettin way too far ahead of me DEN I better get movin huh! I orderd my guages thats a start anyway.Im going to the shop tommorow to get a second opinion on my turbo and Ill pay them what it takes to figure out whats wrong at this point cause Im moving in the wrong direction. Oh yeah I met JIM S. this week end and boy does he have one sharp looking truck .Ill let you know when the guages come in if you wanna still come up ill by the beer, pizza and whatever else JIM youre also welcome to come over IFn ya want
Old 03-20-2005, 09:32 PM

simply said, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! that write up is outstanding. jiMMy
Old 03-20-2005, 10:28 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
What is the purpose of installing this spring other than being able to rev higher? Doesn't higher revs make the engine wear out faster?
Old 03-20-2005, 11:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
the higher RPMs make it more user friendly to drive and your only upping the rpms 500 so its not a real big deal and the way I normaly drive i see no rpm change unless i really keep my foot in it but I feel the power stay on longer before defueling.and with the auto trans its real noticable

Den, Im not sure why you dont feel the diff. when i did mine it was like night and day my boost #s are at 48-49 lbs . did you index the throttle shaft correctly?your boost #s should be at least the same or higher or my be the high rpm screws in to much?

this is going to be a big help for every one and you should get an award for the best photo album of the year I just have 1 question? in the 3 photo of the pump top you show the foot that everyone is talking about and said in the first one you circled it?did you? sorry im color blind and for the life of me i dont see it circled? anyway of re marking it? just a thought.and i give you an A on this assignment
Old 03-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Very nice, Den. Thanks for the excellent pics. I didn't notice any circles or highlighting either, and I'm not colorblind.

I'm with Rebal, something's up if your boost is lower. It should be the same to a little higher at top RPM. Make sure you're getting full throttle travel when you mash the pedal.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:05 AM

WOW, I'm glad someone else is going to be doing mine. That looks with all those little parts and springs.

I hope you find your boost leak

MP
Old 03-21-2005, 08:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Great writeup!. Thanks a million for the very detailed work/pics.......Now I just have to get my own spring and give it a try
Old 03-21-2005, 09:09 AM

you guys need to click on the first of the three pics to see the BIG yellow circle he did. jiMMy
Old 03-21-2005, 11:49 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
Thank you Den. That instruction page is really good!!
Old 03-21-2005, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
THanks Jimmy I see it now
Old 03-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Den

Glad everybody likes it. If you have any edits/suggestions let me know and i'll add them.

Yeah, All the pics are clickable for the giant size version. No more tiny pics
Some of the large pics have text added that doesn't appear on the thumbnail versions. Kinda whipped it together real fast.

Today I took the truck to work and it felt the same. Like the power is down in the 2 lower gears at WOT and it gets better as I get into 3rd.

I had to run some parts over to a place for fit up today. I took my truck and jumped on the interstate. Locked out the OD and hammered it up the merge ramp and onto the interstate. By the time I got to the top of 3rd I was at 3200 and the boost was still maxed. I turned the OD on and it took off like a bandit and I finally had to let off at 1200 deg..it was still pulling at max boost and I was approaching the big triple.

Wierd. Only thing is I lowered my idle from 800 to about 650-700 (actually too low now), but in order to do that I had to lengthen the rod and turn the high idle in. Didn't seem like much, but maybe that's my problem. Maybe I don't have enough high idle adjustment now. I hate that turnbuckle/ball stuff. Going to go work on it right now.

Den
Old 03-21-2005, 04:14 PM

Den can you show a picture of the cable you slid forward and show which way it went to delay your shift points?

Brad
Old 03-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Den

I'll add something to the site about the trans cable adjustments. I have to make a front page for that. It's getting out of hand I might also do a write up on the following, since it made such a big difference originally and now that I'm back where I was.

The truck is FIXED! woohoo!

It was the high idle. I raised my low idle back to 800 where it was.
- Then I disconnected the linkage from the pump to the accelerator linkage (adjustable shaft )
- I backed out the high idle (raised it)
- I checked the WOT range of motion on the pump throttle lever to see how far it would go before tripping the breakover spring.
- Holding the throttle wide open I turned the high idle in to that point and then another half turn.

I used a bungie cord to hold the accelerator linkage at WOT (where foot pedal cable hooks to). At this point I had to set the length of the throttle linkage (adjustable rod). It has to be set so the pump throttle lever can return to idle. You have to sacrifice some WOT because the metal acelerator linkage where the trans cable, pedal cable and overdrive hooks to has a limit for closed and open throttle. (need to grind on this a bit on the WOT stop. Once I had the shaft adjusted so it could return to idle I looked at the high idle stop and it's real close. The metal stop I mentioned stops it from going all the way and touching the high idle screw...but not by much.

Back on the road and back to normal with the boost like before. Slightly better in 1st.
More top end and no defueling.

Sorry for the "mixed results" post at top. I tell it like I see it. I posted because I was worried something wasn't right so that's why I used the word "may" in my post. I just overlooked that slight adjustment on the high idle, and I mean slight.

Relieved,
Den
Old 03-21-2005, 06:01 PM

Glad it came to you and was a simple fix, Thanks for the write ups

Quick Reply: Governor spring install photos