1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Going to California

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to California

I've been working in Ridgecrest all summer as a contractor. The maintinence Super at the plant has offered us permanent positions doing the same work. So I'm home in Jersey planning on packing the Dodge with all my junk and hitting the road on Sunday. With the 4.10 gears my top speed isn't the greatest. Also, no cruise control.

Here's my proposed route:
Link
I'm going to allow a minimum of 5 days and a maximum of 7 days. I'm getting the oil changed tomorrow. Any other suggestions? I've driven most of the route before during different prior trips. I was going to take the southern route to avoid weather, but I've got 4wd and I think the shorter the route the happier I'll be.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:01 AM

Caffeine.

Nice ride. Hope you like it here on the left coast .
Old 10-03-2006, 12:04 AM

where you headin to in california?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Allen Hibbs
where you headin to in california?
Ridgecrest in the high desert. In Kern county, I believe.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rollin the northern route means you'll be crossing on Hwy 80 or Hwy 50 ....the only routes into Ca open during winter months.

Make sure you yell at me before you leave and I can put you up for the night when you hit the Sacramento area.

I cannot acess your route map for some reason.

Rick
Old 10-03-2006, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by runamuk
Rollin the northern route means you'll be crossing on Hwy 80 or Hwy 50 ....the only routes into Ca open during winter months.

Make sure you yell at me before you leave and I can put you up for the night when you hit the Sacramento area.

I cannot acess your route map for some reason.

Rick
I appreciate the offer, but I'm cutting off of I-80 at I-76, thru Denver and then following I-15 all the way to Barstow. I've driven the Donner Pass in April and barely avoided being trapped in Reno.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:48 AM

Not really sure that is the shortest route but then again maybe?

Kern county is not really southern or Northern Ca If you are lucky you may make the cut off for the Hwy 4 pass. Beautiful drive but narrow and winding!

The most driving on a large multi lane Hwy that you can do will make the fastest trip.

Give me a yell if I can help you out!

Rick
Old 10-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Banned

You're coming to California, ah?

Just to warn you; there are NO girls out here with love in their eyes and flowers in their hair. None.

LED ZEPPELIN LIED.

No girls that play the guitar, cry and sing either. I don't know if they've ever been born, but not here. No sir, not here...

Actually, the bloody Beach Boys lied too.

You know, just to warn you.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:06 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Begle1
You're coming to California, ah?

Just to warn you; there are NO girls out here with love in their eyes and flowers in their hair. None.

LED ZEPPELIN LIED.

No girls that play the guitar, cry and sing either. I don't know if they've ever been born, but not here. No sir, not here...

Actually, the bloody Beach Boys lied too.

You know, just to warn you.
Surely you jest. I remember having a wonderful time on Saratoga Ave. in San Diego in the 70's.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:47 AM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
San Diego is where all the Girls have gone... LA no more
Old 10-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Chapter President

The drive from Denver to Grand Junction will probably be the most scenic on your trip....if you like mountains . Be sure to have a good camera handy.
Also, be careful between Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction, especially if you travel at night. This time of year there are a lot of deer and elk on the interstate. I70 tracks the Colorado River and a lot of game is feeding on the meadows and fields along the river.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:57 AM

Just a suggestion.

I travel from Sacramento to West Virginia every few years (northern route) and the ONLY place I have ever had trouble or been stuck in traffic is around Chicago. Figure out a way to get down on I-70 east of chicago and you will be much happier.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by PeteRR
... I'm cutting off of I-80 at I-76, thru Denver and then following I-15 all the way to Barstow. ...
Since you have plenty of extra days planned for a freeway trip, and you have the 4x4 in case of need. (and large cab for sleeping pleasure, I'm often coinfined in my VW pickup...)

I'd do a quick weather and aspen check when I got near Denver, then take one of 3 scenic trips. I prefer the southerly one -Walensburg to Cortez, but if time allowed would do Colo Springs to Buena Vista, then south to Monte Vista, and west to Cortez. If you just do I-70 it wouldn't be too bad, but I'd take a few side trips in central CO, and a dip in the Hot Springs at Glenwood Springs (cheap after 9 pm, and worth the shower too!)

I've done this many times on a motorcycle this time of the year, so weather is not often bad, tho it can happen. 6-14 day looks pretty good excluding OK and southern KS. You will enjoy the images of the aspen mountains for the rest of your life (if the leaves are still on),

I'd zip on down and grab sunrise at Grand Canyon, or hit the three NP's in southern Utah. Coming down I-15, I'd definatley take 89 and do Bryce and Zion. (bryce preferred) Oct is their most spectacular month. Traffic is not usually an issue on two lane roads in central / southern Utah.

Have a great trip, and some fun too. (I usually drive at night and do the fun things during the day, catching a nap every once in awhile, slumped over the steering wheel, hopefully not while diving...)
Old 10-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PeteRR
I've been working in Ridgecrest all summer as a contractor. The maintinence Super at the plant has offered us permanent positions doing the same work. So I'm home in Jersey planning on packing the Dodge with all my junk and hitting the road on Sunday. With the 4.10 gears my top speed isn't the greatest. Also, no cruise control.

Here's my proposed route:
Link
I'm going to allow a minimum of 5 days and a maximum of 7 days. I'm getting the oil changed tomorrow. Any other suggestions? I've driven most of the route before during different prior trips. I was going to take the southern route to avoid weather, but I've got 4wd and I think the shorter the route the happier I'll be.

]PeteRR, I just made that trip in July. I took the southern route, leaving N. Ca heading to SW PA. It took me 5 1/2 days towing a 22' trailer, although weather was better then it is now.

Good luck to you, have a safe trip

Tom
Old 10-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Chapter President

If you want nice, fairly short, side trip, leave I70 at Minturn and go south through Leadville. Just south of Leadville, take the Twin Lakes road and go over Independence Pass to Aspen, then on to Glenwood Springs and I70. I don't know if it still is, but Independence used to be the highest paved pass in the country, something like 12,600 feet. You'll know if the pass is closed......there will be an iron gate across the road!

Quick Reply: Going to California