1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Getrag info needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Getrag info needed

So, I am going down the road today and ended up I thought toasting the trans. I ripped out the interior and did the floor mod so I can get to the top of the trans, pulled the cover and found the shift fork that is closest to the motor, basically welded itself to whatever it is that is sits on.

What fork is it that I need to replace, and whatever it is called that it rides on, has shift fork material welded to it as well,.....and needs replaced as well. Pics coming soon to better describe what it is ...happened.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Banned

IF I can get the pics to load:
Attached Thumbnails Getrag info needed-trans-004-70.jpg  
Old 09-08-2010, 05:03 PM
Banned

You can see where the shift fork welded it to the part in the trans. I tried looking in the sticky but couldnt find an IPB of the getrag. Does the trans need removed to replace this part? Any other suggestions is appreciated. Oh, the cause is yet to be determined as to why there was no oil in the case. dont know if the case cracked or why the underside of the trans is covered in fluid.
Attached Thumbnails Getrag info needed-trans-007-75.jpg  
Old 09-08-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have mine pulled out and rebuilding right now...that is the slider ring for i believe 4th gear..it is right behind the input shaft...there is a bearing on the end of the mainshaft that runs inside the input that has probably gotten very hot from no oil and caused this to happen..sorry to see that as you will have to pull the trans to fix all of that..my case cracked on the front on both sides and was leaking so i had to pull to replace the case..if that bearing is the culprit and it all got that hot i would check into getting a diff mainshaft as that one might have weakened from the heat (crystalized)..sorry to be the bearer of bad news and hope i am wrong on this and another can shed light on another cause...input shafts new are pretty cheap and bearing kits not bad either..there are also 2 diff cases an early and late style so get the numbers off the tag to make sure if you have to get a case you get the right one..pm me if you have more questions...hope this helps
Old 09-08-2010, 06:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah that is the 3-4 syncro assembly with the smelted aluminum in it. I would say the trans has to come out for a teardown and inspection. Most likely a rebuild, too. Maybe you could clean the aluminum out of the slider ring? they are steel. www.zbag.com should have the parts you need to get it going again.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CaptainChrysler
Yeah that is the 3-4 syncro assembly with the smelted aluminum in it. I would say the trans has to come out for a teardown and inspection. Most likely a rebuild, too. Maybe you could clean the aluminum out of the slider ring? they are steel. www.zbag.com should have the parts you need to get it going again.
How do I get the slider ring to move around. It will only move about1/2 inch side to side. I tried putting the top back on and put it in 4 th gear, took the top back off and hit the clutch to see if it would move.

What makes it turn? I think it is salvagable if I can get it to move around 360* so I can clean out the slider ring. I only drove it a few miles like this, and I have another Top ready to install, just need to move the slider ring. Any ideas?

TIA
Old 09-08-2010, 07:38 PM

Turn main shaft at the rear of the transmission or disconnet drive shaft at the transfer case and turn main shaft.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
is this a case where overfilling the t-case by at least a quart would have helped?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SORTIE
is this a case where overfilling the t-case by at least a quart would have helped?
I think this is a case where ANY oil inside it would have helped !

I got the slider ring cleaned up and now am awaiting a set of snap ring pliers in the morning to change over one shifter top to another that I had as a spare from years ago. We'll see what happens if it works or not or makes any noises ...etc.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cfarmer
Turn main shaft at the rear of the transmission or disconnet drive shaft at the transfer case and turn main shaft.
I had the trans in neutral and just ended up jacking up the rear wheels and turning it with my foot when I needed to spin it to clean it up. Hope this works as I really dont have the coin to get this one redone.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:36 PM

how did things turn out with your tranny?..good i hope
Old 09-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Banned

I got it going. I had a spare shifter top and after alot of filing out the sleeve/race that the shift fork slides on.....flushed out the trans with strained used motor oil......put it all back together and all seems fine. Shifts better than before.

It did take a long time to figure out how to get the shift forks to line up properly, but I got it.

Turned around today (replaced the water pump 6 days ago) and changed the anti-freeze..........just to have an hour later the head gasket go out on me. Got the head ready to come off tonite and hopefully put back together tomorrow morning.

I have always been the type of person to plan ahead and buy things I dont really need but got at a good price...........as I had a head gasket already here that I bought maybe 4 years ago. Hope tomorrow turns out ok.
Thanks for asking