1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Gelled fuel? bad lift pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 05:44 PM

Received 2,410 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Gelled fuel? bad lift pump?

I started my '89 Cummins plow truck the other morning when it was -20F and it fired up and I left it running to warm up.
A few minutes later I heard it slow down then, stumble to a stop.
I have not been able to get it to fire back up since.
Now, it just turns over quickly but without a hint of firing up.
I opened the bleeder screw and hand pumped the lift pump and fuel comes out freely.
I ran a hot line to the VE pump incase the old wiring was the problem.
I put Diesel 911 in the tank since it was last filled in the summer so it may have no anti gel in it.
I opened the water seperater filter and fuel came out instantally
Anything jumping to anyones mind as to what to check next?
It is a 5 speed rig so I could try towing down the road and popping it into gear
Thanks for any input
Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you didn't pull the filter off and and dump it out and see if there was any ice or anything in the bottom? Pull the filter and dump it out then fill it halfway with 911, and the rest with diesel then put it back on and prime it and bleed tht injectors til fuel comes out, then tighten them back up and should start up. If not, it could be lift pump.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:00 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
When ever you gel its just like running out of fuel. You will need to bleed the filter and then crank with the injection lines cracked loose at each injector. Do a couple at a time.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18 PM

Thanks guys.
I was wondering if I should bleed the injectors next.
I will spin the fuel filter off and check as well.
I will give that a shot the next decent day we get.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah pull filter off (and replace if it's been a while) and check for waxy looking stuff in there. Then bleed 3 or 4 of the lines to the injectors and should pop off. My QUESTION is, my truck this winter has been starting hard. It's acting like air in the lines. I just changed my FS1221 filter. I don't have any external fuel leaks and it will start up like it should if the engine is still warm. My manual lever on my lift pump will prime the filter too so my L pump shouldn't be bad. Is my injection pump not liking this cold weather?? I'm sorry for hijacking this post for my troubles.

Last edited by Power Ram 250 C; 02-02-2011 at 07:55 PM. Reason: posted too early
Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gelled fuel? You Bet!

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I started my '89 Cummins plow truck the other morning when it was -20F and it fired up and I left it running to warm up.
A few minutes later I heard it slow down then, stumble to a stop.
I have not been able to get it to fire back up since.
Now, it just turns over quickly but without a hint of firing up.
I opened the bleeder screw and hand pumped the lift pump and fuel comes out freely.
I ran a hot line to the VE pump incase the old wiring was the problem.
I put Diesel 911 in the tank since it was last filled in the summer so it may have no anti gel in it.
I opened the water seperater filter and fuel came out instantally
Anything jumping to anyones mind as to what to check next?
It is a 5 speed rig so I could try towing down the road and popping it into gear
Thanks for any input
If it was truly 20 below, your fuel was gelled. No Doubt. I've seen it happen in -15. Must.... Winterize.... FUEL!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like its gelled to me.Just change the filter and when you put the new one on fill it with 911 before you spin it on.Give it a try before you go cracking injector lines.Mine gelled years ago and It popped right off after doing what I just stated.I also put 911 in the tank,but you already did that.And get some winter blended fuel in there.The fuel does not turn to gel as it sounds but a gel film forms on the filter and will not allow fuel through it.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:04 AM

Thanks guys.
Yeah it was truly -20F
It was -35 F a week before but I didn't fire up any of my diesel that morning!
My plow is a yard truck only [cracked frame] so I filled it up off another rusted out Cummins truck I was taking to the scrap yard last summer.
I am sure it is full of summer blend...Doh
Live and learn...
Old 02-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Every time I add fuel to my truck, I put in fuel treatment, such as the winter additives that prevent fuel jelling. I can honestly say that it's made it so that no matter how cold it gets (HERE) it starts right up. Plugging her in helps as well.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I add a can of Seafoam during every fill up starting in October and continue doing so until March - weather dependent. A buddy of mine who lives in Minot, ND(read COLD!) and drives a diesel for the military recommends it. If the temperature is expected to fall below 20 degrees I plug in the block heater. When the temp falls below zero and/or the ambient temp is below freezing and the wind is blowing over 30 mph (which it does quite frequently here) I put the truck in the shop and plug in the block heater. AND I always put the truck in gear and release the parking brake as it is likely to get stuck. Probably too much info but that's how I roll.