1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuse Link Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuse Link Electrical Problem

Hey there again,

I posted quite a while ago that my W350 quit on me all of a sudden, no spuddering or anything. I said that i was driveing down the road, and it just quit... At the time, i figured it was a fusable link, and you guys told me where to find them.

Anyway, i opened the wireing where you guys said to look, and every fuse link i found had power on "both" sides of it, with the key on EXCEPT this one,

Is this one suposeto be hot??? It doesn't have power on either side...

None of the wireing i've looked at looks to have been hot, nor does it smell burnt.

Robert
Old 09-13-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yes, it should have power try making a jump wire to see if it corrects your issue
Old 09-14-2009, 09:28 AM

Thankyou...

Should i run a hot to the red side? or? As it now doesn't have hot to either side... I don't want to fry my CPU or ?

Robert
Old 09-14-2009, 03:55 PM

Yes, that wire should be hot. I had the same fusible link come apart going down the road and it killed the truck. I believe it powers the fuel shutoff solenoid (along with some other things.) Have you checked for power at the solenoid? It's on the top of the rear section of the injection pump, near where the injector lines connect.

From your picture it looks like there's two fusible links ahead of that red wire (the orange and the white.) On my truck, the power came from the duckfoot connector in the bottom left of the picture. Where does the white fusible link in your picture go?

Good luck.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:38 PM

I had the same promlem on mine,check both sides of the wire on various spots to see if it has power all the way thru,my wire ended up being broke inside the insulation in a spot
Old 09-16-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by hmknight
Yes, that wire should be hot. I had the same fusible link come apart going down the road and it killed the truck. I believe it powers the fuel shutoff solenoid (along with some other things.) Have you checked for power at the solenoid? It's on the top of the rear section of the injection pump, near where the injector lines connect.

From your picture it looks like there's two fusible links ahead of that red wire (the orange and the white.) On my truck, the power came from the duckfoot connector in the bottom left of the picture. Where does the white fusible link in your picture go?

Good luck.
I had a chance to check further today... The white wire goes to two smaller red wires that head under the batt or toward the puter... BUT, i found the orange fuse link burned out! Then i put hot to the big red wire it hooks to, and it sparks like a dead short! The red wire goes through the fire wall, and i have no idea where it goes after that. Any idea's where that red wire goes under the dash?

Thanks for your help!! I just may get the darn thing running yet!

Robert
Old 09-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
To the ignition switch.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
To the ignition switch.
Thanks... So, if i put power to that red wire, and it's sparks as a dead short would, and that red wire goes to the ignition switch... Wouldn't that mean the switch has the short in it, or has failed??? (asumeing the wire is good all the way to the switch)

Robert
Old 09-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Could be, or the wire may be shorted to ground somewhere along the way. Check the harness where it goes past the parking brake pedal.