1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Can someone identify this Piston Lift Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Can someone identify this Piston Lift Pump?

Just recently I had a co-worker give me a piston lift pump designed for a B series 5.9 Cummins. I am really not sure if this is a low or high pressure pump. I checked the various part numbers on here, but nothing matches. Only one number is on the entire box: 3389144

On the pump itself: Carter MADE IN USA

There are some numbers stamped on the mounting flange: 013410876G01A

I am wondering if this pump is safe to put on my VE equipped truck?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:08 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
the pump you want is:
3936320, but it has been superceeded to 4988751
Old 09-14-2009, 12:43 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
some people have actually ordered what is supposed to be a cummins pump and they end up getting a carter pump. i believe carter does make a replica of the cummins and cummins apparently sells it as "theirs." some have even received delphi pumps after ordering and paying for a "cummins" pump. if you order it through cummins and they have it in stock, tell them you wanna look at the pump before you pay for it so that you can make sure it's the correct one. when it comes to parts that keep my engine running for a very long time, i tend to favor genuine cummins parts. if i saw "delphi" or "carter" stamped on the pump, i'd tell them i don't want it. you shouldn't pay for a supposed cummins part to in turn receive a less expensive replica.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo486
some people have actually ordered what is supposed to be a cummins pump and they end up getting a carter pump. i believe carter does make a replica of the cummins and cummins apparently sells it as "theirs." some have even received delphi pumps after ordering and paying for a "cummins" pump. if you order it through cummins and they have it in stock, tell them you wanna look at the pump before you pay for it so that you can make sure it's the correct one. when it comes to parts that keep my engine running for a very long time, i tend to favor genuine cummins parts. if i saw "delphi" or "carter" stamped on the pump, i'd tell them i don't want it. you shouldn't pay for a supposed cummins part to in turn receive a less expensive replica.
I would rather have a Carter pump. They have better build tolerances, better quality control, and they are made in the good ol' USA. Every Cummins lift pump I have put on lately has "made in china" right on the pump.
I have always preferred carter products on any vehicle from my muscle cars to my diesels.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbo486
Every lift pump I have bought from Cummins said Carter on it. Carter made them for Cummins. Carter was located in St Louis before they went bankrupt. Still own a flow bench that I bought from the auction..
Old 09-14-2009, 09:28 PM

Just bought a 4988751 about two weeks ago from a Cummins parts dealer, and it says "Made in China" right on the pump.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:45 PM

Ok, now can somebody help me? I've got one that says Carter Made in USA. They only numbers I can find on it are 222410876J28A. It looks like the other ones and I was told that it came of a second gen. Will it work? Also where can I get the spacer and fuel line like described in the sticky.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:56 PM

Yes it will. That is more than likely one made in St. Louis..
Old 09-14-2009, 10:00 PM

Thanks. Now where can I get that spacer? Or is there one behind my old stock lift pump?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by SlowSmoke
Thanks. Now where can I get that spacer? Or is there one behind my old stock lift pump?
PM chuck'64 and see if he has any spacers left. He sent me one for free.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:28 PM

Question Need some answers

I am still having no luck finding out what this pump is.......... I called Cummins Northwest and gave them all the numbers I have stated above. They could not find anything related to those numbers. Back to square one, what is it for? The piston lift pump looks identical to what's already been pictured. I am half tempted to drive to Cummins Northwest and have them physically look at it. The whole point of this research is to find out what I have, will it work? and will Cummins Northwest exchange this pump straight across for part# 4988751, even though I don't have a receipt? I do not know what Cummins Northwest customer policies are. I am especially leary about it because I am not a business account customer.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:26 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Check the thread sizes and pitch/design of both inlet and outlet.

Stock Cummins on our trucks are 14MMx1.5 at the top outlet and plain old 1/4-NPT at the bottom inlet.

Many of these pumps are identical except for the inlet/outlet thread sizes, some are all Metric, others are all NPT, while some like ours are a mix.

Just because the thread sizes may differ from what we are used to is no reason that you can't use the pump.

Once you determine what the outlet/inlet sizes are, round up the spacer, two gaskets, and two 8mm-1.25 studs to replace the factory bolts, plus whatever fittings you need to plumb it up.

It is far best to toss that rigid hard-line that connects the pump outlet to the filter-head and replace it with rubber hose; you will be glad you did many times in the future.

Once you get all your ducks in a row, simply mount the mystery pump, crank it up, and see what kind of reading you are getting on the fuel-pressure gauge.

If it is above about 18-PSI, shut the truck off and round up a bypass regulator.

If it is below 18-PSI, you are good to go.

There are about ten million part-numbers on these piston lift-pumps and there is no one no-where that knows what fits what.

The 3936320 and it's many subsequent re-numberings is not the only "low pressure" pump that we can use, it is just the one that whoever started all this stumbled upon and saw that it did indeed work.

I am certain that there are applications where the spacer is also not needed, and probably others where an even thicker one is called for.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:35 AM

Thats interesting. I would honestly like to see if I can swap this fuel pump for the "known" one that most people are using. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, so it seems like a hassle to hook everything up just to find out it does not provide the correct pressures. It's a real roll of the dice with this lift pump I have.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:04 AM

remove inlet to look at the bore if it has a brass sleve it is alow psi. pump
Old 09-15-2009, 08:23 PM

spacer plate. what is sopossed to help with. when you put a spacer plate in..i am just wondering on how this will help

Quick Reply: Can someone identify this Piston Lift Pump?