1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel pressure gauge type?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by #2isgreen
What are folks running for tubing? I'm thinking my furnace heating oil runs in copper so that must be acceptable. Would 1/8" or 1/4" copper be best?
Nope, the vibrations will likely crack it in short order.

As someone else said, I would run small hydraulic or Aeroquip type, say -4.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used an electric gauge setup $100.00, needle on gauge fell off about two months later. What is a good gauge brand?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Unless it's untaxed, then it's red.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
Nope, the vibrations will likely crack it in short order.

As someone else said, I would run small hydraulic or Aeroquip type, say -4.

Just looked that up - cool looking stuff. Do I need special tools to get the fittings on there? I figure I'll just cool up the excess vs. cutting it. Can I adapt it to NPT fittings as that's what's on the gauge and the banjo at the IP
Old 12-05-2013, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont like any copper tubing either, it transmits sound into the cab and is too sensitive to bends and crushing. I like appropriate plastic lines, like our plastic tank and plastic fuel lines. My boost gauge is the small flexible spaghetti air lines that big trucks use for all the air accessories, its tough stuff, seems like it will stretch a mile before it breaks. My fuel line is a little bigger, think its 1/4 OD x .044 wall. I'm using a needle valve under the hood up to my cheapo water pressure gauge in the cab, works fine for me.

Originally Posted by robert78.5
I used an electric gauge setup $100.00, needle on gauge fell off about two months later. What is a good gauge brand?
did you use a snubber or needle valve so the gauge wasn't bouncing all the time?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I just run the plastic line that comes with the mechanical gauge

It gets run through a hole in the fire wall with the boost line and drive pressure line. The hole has a grommet, and everything is loomed and has electrical tape wrapped around it. Shouldn't ever wear through.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heres my setup. Autometer sport comp mechanical 15 psi. Heavy duty steel wire inforced hose and fittings bought at the local big rig parts shop. I use the needle valve to "snub" and to shut the fuel off to the gauge incase of a leak ect.

Name:  DSC00771.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  50.4 KB

Name:  DSC00806.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  63.9 KB
Old 12-07-2013, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1992gen1_fan
Heres my setup. Autometer sport comp mechanical 15 psi. Heavy duty steel wire inforced hose and fittings bought at the local big rig parts shop. I use the needle valve to "snub" and to shut the fuel off to the gauge incase of a leak ect.

So, 1992Gen1 Fan, what are you, a freakin' rocket scientist in your spare time? Man, that setup is downright gorgeous, more than impressed here!

I'm intrigued by that bolt/fitting that is connected to banjo fitting. Maybe I just don't get out enough but I've never seen the like before. Any chance of a part number or suggested source?

And the fitting for needle valve, what's that or what's it normally used for or a source? Never seen one exactly like it either.

Even the 90* that runs to hose, really cool! Do you have to have a shop fit the hose to the 90* or is it a DIY sort of thing?

Sorta strange I don't recognize any of that when I worked for years in mfg. and industrial equip. repair and install. Any further info appreciated - but if not I understand 'cause it's a lot of questions. Thanks! One fine install there.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:38 AM

Ok new question based on that last photo - is that the best (or only) place to tap in? That location is post filter- helpful to watch plugged filter conditions, but is it close enough to the IP to reflect the pressure entering the pump ?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 2,430 Likes on 1,602 Posts
That is where I tap into for my fuel pressure tests.
I just bought several tapped banjo bolts from Genos and a fuel pressure gauge/tester with 4 ft of hose.
The banjo bolts have Schrader valves tapped into them.
This way I can run a fuel pressure test on any one of my diesels trucks without installing a gauge in each rig permanently .
The hose is long enough to snake under the fender and into my triangular vent window for a little on the road testing if needed.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by JimmieD
So, 1992Gen1 Fan, what are you, a freakin' rocket scientist in your spare time? Man, that setup is downright gorgeous, more than impressed here!

I'm intrigued by that bolt/fitting that is connected to banjo fitting. Maybe I just don't get out enough but I've never seen the like before. Any chance of a part number or suggested source?

And the fitting for needle valve, what's that or what's it normally used for or a source? Never seen one exactly like it either.

Even the 90* that runs to hose, really cool! Do you have to have a shop fit the hose to the 90* or is it a DIY sort of thing?

Sorta strange I don't recognize any of that when I worked for years in mfg. and industrial equip. repair and install. Any further info appreciated - but if not I understand 'cause it's a lot of questions. Thanks! One fine install there.
Thanks . The banjo bolt is a tapped banjo bolt from geno's, the needle valve is from DAP (if I remember correct), and the fuel line and fittings are from a local big rig shop. The fittings are kind of a barb fitting with a threaded retainer. They work well .
Old 12-08-2013, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by #2isgreen
Ok new question based on that last photo - is that the best (or only) place to tap in? That location is post filter- helpful to watch plugged filter conditions, but is it close enough to the IP to reflect the pressure entering the pump ?
If you try to tap it any closer you'll have to mess up the hard line to the pump. I really doubt there would be enough pressure difference in that short span to tell a difference.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by 1992gen1_fan
Thanks . The banjo bolt is a tapped banjo bolt from geno's, the needle valve is from DAP (if I remember correct), and the fuel line and fittings are from a local big rig shop. The fittings are kind of a barb fitting with a threaded retainer. They work well .
Thanks for the info, and PM!
JimmieD
Old 12-09-2013, 01:56 PM

I called a hot rod shop up the road and got a stern lecture about running a mechanical gauge in the cab, "well sir, its a diesel" "OOhhhh ok then never mind!!

one thing he did mention is that many tracks will not let you race with a mechanical unit in the cab.

The guy is selling me everything i need in AN-4 now i just need to plumb it up.

something always comes up tho right? my gas pedal fell off going down the highway this am. that takes priority!
Old 12-09-2013, 02:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You can use a fuel pressure isolator when running a mechanical in cab. Then if it leaks inside it will be glycol and not diesel.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I use a glycerine filled 0-15psi mechanical gauge I bought on Ebay for like $12 in the cab that's plumbed with 1/8" polyethylene tubing. Never had a problem with leaks. Guess I'm a non-conformist... with an extra $200 in my pocket.

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure gauge type?